Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • biking around sheffield
  • astura
    Free Member

On Sunday got a pick something off eBay so want to go somewhere riding, bit of trail centery freeride stuff

reedspeed
    Free Member

Parkwood springs,which is nxt to the old ski village ,there’s wharncliffe & grenno woods where peaty lives & trains too just north of town ,or 45 mins south is Sherwood pines in north notts .

Or head west to the Peaks !.

steveh

You just described greno with the words trail centery freeride. Park in the car par on wood head heading out of grenoside village towards the a628. head over the road up the little hill and you’ll find the first trail in front of you. Two more off the fireroad heading gently uphill to your left. 3 trails but lots of fun!

astura
    Free Member

Ok I’ll take a look, is there anything good over the peaks?

jekkyl

You’re asking if there’s any good riding over the peaks? How long have you been mountain biking?

discoduck
    Free Member

I wouldn’t advise Wharny unless you know where your going, I’ve been riding there over 15 years and I still get folk telling me its shit, you really need some local knowledge to link up a good loop, likewise Sherwood Pines, one extreme to the other there, in comparison the pines is very very lame.

As for the Peaks, I’d do cut gate pass, it’s an out and back route and you will struggle to find any better MTB territory, it was where everyone rode before the trail centres opened, the Peaks is a Mecca for all things outdoors and biking there is second to none ! Unless you take a trip to the Alps or Canada ?

Hopefully some one should be able to hook up with you and show you some trails.

Enjoy

ahwiles
    Free Member

Astura – if you want

trail centery freeride stuff

, then the short answer is no, the peaks are not very good. The trails in Grenoside are great fun, there’s usually a few walkers around who may or may not be walking up the trails you want to ride down, but most of them are friendly enough!

discoduck
    Free Member

Where do you normally ride if you find The Peaks not very good ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ok I’ll take a look, is there anything good over the peaks?

@astura
    you have been a member of the STW for 5 years. I really cannot believe either your original question or this one.

reedspeed
    Free Member

the peaks are not very good

Ahwiles

wtf you on about ?,it’s one of the most natural,technical areas and of natural beauty anywhere in the world ,I suppose you’re a canal tow path man with a buggy on the back are you ?…

ahwiles
    Free Member

the OP

want(s) …trail centery freeride stuff

that doesn’t sound much like the Peak District to me.

discoduck – Member

Where do you normally ride if you find The Peaks not very good ?

locals-only cheeky stuff, avoiding the classic Peak Bridleways wherever possible!

Pook

Excellent selective quoting going on here!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Peaks are awful, stay away 😉

Peaks has just about every type of riding – Monsal Trail to real tech stuff.
    Prob worth gestating some local advice or checking out a guide book.
    Don’t let the nay Sayers of any persuasion put you off.

EDIT: if you really want to test your fs bike I’d try riding on the roads around Sheff, Ringinglow Rd would be a good start!

hora
    Free Member

Cannock is pretty good. Ride there?

discoduck
    Free Member

Yes, Trail Centre ?
    You get on your bike and follow a path ? There are no obstacles at trail centres or great big rocks strewn about the man made sculpted paths save for a few braking bumps in the berm sections where people can’t ride properly. Imagine riding at A trail centre and finding a rock the size of a football in the trail there would be hell on !
    That’s why I said cut gate as it’s the most trail centre orientated route I could think of, you get on your bike and pedal it following your nose, when you get to slippery stones you can carry on to Fairholme or just turn round and come back across, cut right down North America for a trail centre ish descent altho be warned it is natural and not at all Free Ride.

The free ride part of comes in to play when you have to pop off a ledge to get round or over said none man made obstacle, or where you see fit to stop and admire a drop or a gap or a boulder strewn chute into a run that you are just about to discover,

Riding a bikes riding a bike it doesent matter what you call it, or how you cut and paste into thread,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘biking around sheffield’ is closed to new replies.