Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Biking and dogs?
  • andybrad

This thread http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/labradors-can-you-ride-run-with-them got me thinking.

just out of curiosity what peoples opinion in trail dogs? I’ve seen them at gisburn and it looks like the dog and owner is having fun. However i wondering what would be the issue if the dog ran in front of a bike? Possibly injuring the dog (after all I would imaging much higher speeds are achieved on a trail centre than a natural trail) but imo more importantly injuring the rider.

I can see people taking their dogs through the local woods but this brings me to my next point. In some cases ive been riding through my local woods and been up against some old dear with her dogs running about. Their excided (the dogs not the old dear) and fancy having a play with me on the bike but the owner is not in control of their animals? You slow down and cycle past but if the owner was on a bike I would have thought they would be in significantly less control of their animals?

Which brings me to, should all dogs be kept on leads at all times unless on private property?

jam-bo

this has been done before. many times.

so have a video. dogs rule.

[video]http://vimeo.com/67476747[/video]

sharkbait
    Free Member

I take my Cocker sometimes and she can much further than me, but I do worry that she’s going to knock someone over. I’m also careful not to go too fast/far 😉

Drac

Which brings me to, should all dogs be kept on leads at all times unless on private property?

No.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve ridden into my (40kg) dog a few times, its like hitting a brick wall. I never have him on a lead but always bag his poo so I can hang it on the latch of a well used gate.

miketually
    Free Member

Someone brought their greyhound/saluki cross on a group ride I was on at Hamsterley once.

For narrow stuff, it waited until the last rider in the group set off down a trail, then followed behind. On wider climbs it trotted next to its owner. Whenever we stopped it spent the time bounding around in the undergrowth so did about triple the distance we did.

Brilliant dog, no problems at all.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

My patterdale loves coming on rides with me (she sulks if i dont take her) after a few weeks of basic training she got the idea of how it all works, start out training with just you and the dog for a few weeks, then introduce a friend for a few rides and build up into group rides, i used treats to train her into what i wanted her to do, worked for mine 🙂

tonyd

So long as it’s trained well I don’t see a problem, any responsible owner wouldn’t risk their untrained dog by taking it somewhere it could get hit by riders doing 20mph+ surely.

townydc
    Free Member

I’d love to take my dog for a run/ride but he’s a daschaund/jack Russell cross and it would probably kill him. He also has a tendency to want to wee up any bin, post, tree or bush in sight so we probably wouldn’t get very far. I think taking them up the woods or your local trails are fine if you can keep control over them, but not at a trail centre where others are involved.

andybrad

Interesting, I saw a guy at gizburn with a jack russel the other month. To my it just seemed irresponsible.

I also know of a guy who got taken off his bike last year by someones dog and he spend a considerable amount of time in hospital with a broken back. Im interested as to how people think they can control their dog off the lead when its excited. (i guess its the same thing with horses)

jam-bo

Im interested as to how people think they can control their dog off the lead when its excited

training.

rocketman
    Free Member

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Having been bitten by an off-the-lead dog last year (Ashton Court, Bristol), I have a rather dim view of dogs off the lead in public places.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

My in-laws Weimaraner is brilliant. He is like velcro, just runs along side you for as long as you’re prepared to go. He got ‘bitten’ a couple of times by that nasty minion on the front of the bike and now has a healthy respect for the bike and maintains a constant and safe distance at all times. He has had no bike training, just one of those dogs that can’t bare to be too far away from you, and will follow you anywhere (he’s also a bit stupid which helps!) 🙂

andybrad

do they not get caught up in your wheels / pedals at times?

matther01
    Free Member

Depends on how well trained the dog is. My lab/springer cross is fantastic on walks but out on a trail…not so sure. He’d spend more time trying to climb trees chasing squirrels than running beside me and the bike!!

Del

wait for the full wrath of the stw dog haters to rain down upon you for starting this thread. 🙂
    bonbon anyone?

ads678

Always looks fun when a see a decent trail dog.

There was a guy at grenoside on Sunday though that was stumbling round after crashing into his dog. The dog let out a helluva yelp and then ran off back up the trail. The guys son, 12ish i’d say, was left trying to see if his dad was ok and trying to find the dog.

I reckon they have to be well trained and you need to be a decent rider as well. I might get one in a few years when the kids don’t want to play with me any more!!

fozzybear
    Free Member

Some classic posts here!!
    Being a dog owner (She loves to come riding with us) the same old tired posts come up time after time.

andybrad it’s clear don’t have a dog, your questions are trolling at best.

Fuzz head – so if someone is rude to you then all people are going to be rude? In the nicest way try not to judge all dogs and owners by the standards of others you have met. I know it’s difficult but some of us are very consious of our pets.

As has been said a million times it’s about the owner not the dog.
    we have a 45kg Ridgeback, I have lost count of the number of times she’s been bitten by smaller dogs.
    Dogs are mostly a reflection of their owners.

cookeaa

This one’s been done before…

IME Most Dog owners largely do whatever they fancy with their pets and then just blame someone else when they get into trouble, or find incredible justifications for their animal’s behaviour (see what I mean)…

This “Training” for Dogs to run alongside bikes, who runs the courses then?

If your “Trail Dog” get’s mashed under my bike on a public trail it is your fault, and I’ll be asking you to replace anything damaged by colliding with your out of control pet… Until that happens do as you see fit.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

@fozzybear – I’m not a hater at all, dogs off leads in public places is a v thorny issue. We regularly have 2 dogs with us on our group rides, and aside from getting lost are very well behaved.

andybrad

Just asking really and i apologise if its deemed as trolling. Theres two things.

1. Were moving house soon and we are considering getting either a dog or baby. 🙂 we’ve never had a garden before so we thought that it was cruel to keep a dog. However we will now have a garden and be at the side of a well known bit of mtbing tail. I guess you can see where my thoughts are heading ?

2. ive had lots of bad experiences with dogs on canal tow paths. Yes i believe this has jaded my view somewhat but mainly of irresponsible owners but i thought there would be a few folks doing it on here. Do they have leads for example? im really worried about the dangers of it all?

Having seen the aftermath of poor dog control i would not want to inflict that on anyone for my pleasure of dog ownership but i do like the idea of having a dog that is so controlled it wont end up under your wheels. (btw my wife screws dogs back together with bits of titanium so i get to see this from both sides of the fence)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’d love to have trail dogs, sadly, the two Westies I have would be crap.

Eric just wants to wee on everytree, and Esme,well, if shes sees a squirrel/ rabit etc.. then she’s off..

Tried it once.

Never again. 😳

andybrad

kind of like taking the missus along for a ride then, one and never again in my instance 🙂

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Im more worried about other riders knocking me off than my own dog, there are plenty of clumsy gobshites on bikes out there y’know! I mean, ive even seen said gobshites pushing their bikes back up one way trails!!! Its Them who should be on a lead IMO.

jam-bo

“Training” for Dogs

plenty of training for dogs courses out there, once you have taught them to heel its doesn’t really matter if you are on foot, bike, horse, quad etc.

In my experience obviously…

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Dogs are highly intelligent animals, you can ‘Train um’ do do all sorts of things these days y’know! They can be trained to see for people who are blind, trained to dance for simon cowell, trained to deliver packages in times of war, trained to sniff out drugs ect ect ect, running down a trail following a bike would be sod all to a well trained doggie IMO again.

DezB
    Free Member

My dog doesn’t understand why we wind our way up and down these twisty, bermy trails when she can get there in a straight line.
    We’re idiots.

andybrad

🙂

Del

way to go cookeaa! going to have to dock you a couple of points though, because as we all know, your example should have been a child’s face…
    genius!
    😀

DezB
    Free Member

Awesome! “When Mrs Hamriding woke in extreme pain two hours later, Cassie had eaten her right eye and the bone around the socket.”

robbie
    Free Member

I regularly take my Staffie out up the hills and woods.
    She is very good and always runs behind the bike. but I would be wary of taking her to a busy trail centre. Plus as she has only short legs I have to take it easy on the decents as dont want her over doing it and doing herself an injury.

mattjg
    Free Member

not a dog lover myself, wouldn’t miss them if they were all gone. get a baby, they’re good fun.

someone put on Facebook the other day one of those greeting card graphics saying “people are rubbish I’m staying in with my loyal dog”. It had hundreds of thousands of likes.

all I could think was “brilliant, three hundred thousand dogs not cluttering up the streets and trails! result!”

DezB
    Free Member

three hundred thousand dogs not cluttering up the streets and trails

Is that really what they do then?

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah, bloody things are everywhere once you start looking, getting in the way mostly

people before dogs I say

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8rSf4hrx-4[/video]

Me and the mutt at Laggan, she very much a “lead” dog so stays out in front. She has been clipped by the front tyre a few times, nowt serious, so they learn to stay out the way, she has a command that means “go on” the other dog trucks in behind.
    Now my ex had custody of the mutts but I still get to ride with them occasionally. Do miss them not so much at Trail Centres more on the XC rides.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve a strong dislikes for dogs, well actually more their owners. But if a dog is well trained, I don’t see a problem with it.

Thing that annoys me with dogs is the owners that think it’s alright to allow their dogs to run up to every and anyone. It’s not, when dogs approach me like this I have a great fear of them. I don’t know how to handle them, so have it off the leash, aye, but if you do this also have it trained so that it doesn’t harass unsuspecting people, who you have no idea of their level of comfort with dogs.

Some dogs I’m ok with, but others put the fear of death into me.

Please don’t just wave it off as nothing and say, “auch it’ll just lick you to death”, maybe, but how the hell I’m I ment to know that, especially with some of the more aggressive looking dogs around.

mattjg
    Free Member

I did try and take my cat trail riding but it turned out he preferred to wait under the car until my return.

Drac

Please don’t just wave it off as nothing and say, “auch it’ll just lick you to death”, maybe, but how the hell I’m I ment to know that, especially with some of the more aggressive looking dogs around.

Well if it hasn’t ripped your face off then you might be Ok, unless next time it’s waiting for a small child.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member

If your “Trail Dog” get’s mashed under my bike on a public trail it is your fault, and I’ll be asking you to replace anything damaged by colliding with your out of control pet…

good luck the normal drill is for the dog owner to run off as fast possible and get to the car park before you do 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Biking and dogs?’ is closed to new replies.