• This topic has 91 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by gee.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Bikes you really wanted but never owned.
  • shotsaway
    Free Member

So have you ever lusted after a bike (that you could afford) but you never got around buying.

In 1999 I really wanted a Santa Cruz Chameleon but as I didn’t have the knowledge (or the tools) on how to build a bike, i never got around to buying the frame. About a year later I bought an Orange Evo2 and the Chameloen was consigned to the back of my mind. Although I occasional wonder what it would have been like?

I also really wanted a Kuwahara E.T. in 1982 and I used to stare at the one my LBS had in the window. A few months later my parents bought me a Burner and the Kuwahara was forgotten.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Always wanted a Fisher CR7.

aidanoggy
    Free Member

Decided I’d have a Cotic Soul in orange after spending ages talking to Cy at the bike show about 5 years ago 🙁 it’s still on the list .
    Also still lust after a DeRosa Neo Primato in molteni colours and a Merlin Cyrene
    Always fancied a Moulton too . And a recumbent ! But don’t lust after them.
    All the other bikes I have ever really really wanted I either own or have owned 🙂

bratty

This:

But I was only a poor 16 yr old and had to make do with K2 tubing and LX groupset

Was still fun though

epicyclo

Whyte PRST

boxfish
    Free Member

Klein Mantra 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A Marin Team Ti, pre-98.

matt_outandabout

Orange Vitamin T 8)

righog
    Free Member

Pace RC 200 ( should really buy one soon before they become too expensive)

zbonty

Another vote for the ’82 Kuwahara. I too got a Mag Burner for christmas instead! Sadly stolen from me at knife point in Norf London by some little ****, aged twelve and i did’nt own another bike for about four years 😥

Ritchey frames have always been quite lust-worthy. Currently the 27.5 model just looks great.

Northwind

Muddy Fox Courier

fizzicist
    Free Member

Whyte 46 for me. Until I sat on one and it felt like der Panzerwagen.

bratty

Bah should have previewed my posting, but a Raleigh Torus with Trimnell forks:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=88273

RoterStern
    Free Member

I can remember looking longingly at the Pro-flex with Girvin forks back in the day. Being a skint student meant it was always going to be a pipe dream to own one. Similar feeling to seeing my fast Klein Adroit in lairy yellow and orange. The price tag made me physically take a sharp intake of breath when I asked the sales assistant how much the frame was.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Ibis mojo, cash won’t allow lol

ska-49
    Free Member

Indy Fab Deluxe 29er.
    Ben English/ black sheep 29er build.

One will happen once I stop being a student.

mintimperial

Pace RC200 here too. Maybe, one day…

unklehomered
    Free Member

Trek 69er, the single speed bronzy one.

witty.name
    Free Member

In the early nineties i really wanted a fat chance yo eddy in that aquamarine fade but the piggy bank said otherwise.I ended up with an orange p7 with stx-rc

geoffj

AND

Had a viscount racer instead 😥

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Wanted a Kuwahara and got a Burner. Thats like saying “Wanted a beautiful, intelligent girlfriend to hold and kiss in a Top hotel, got buggered in a camper van on a cold night with Jimmy Saville.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

There was a tiny ad in the back of a very early MBUK for an Overbury’s that had an Ultegra 600 rear mech, huge drop from the top of seat post to the downtube, ridiculously narrow bars (in today’s terms), and super long 150 stem.

That was the definition of XC cool for many a year.

Would love to see that again and do a double take!

LMT
    Free Member

Yep another one for a Trek 69er the first brown one, also wanted a well specced speshi, all my mates had one when i restarted mtb’ing, but i have that now!

tomhoward

Whyte prst1 here too, though they go for around £500 on the bay so maybe still.
    Gee Atherton ebayed his 05 or 06 giant race bike in early 07 and it was a toss up between that and a demo 8. The demo eight won, but I always wondered what the giant would have been like.

Bez

1993 Hei Hei, titanium P2 and O-Beam, but swap the kit for XC Pro.

And maybe one of these bad boys.

And one of these.

jamj1974

Onzadog – Member
    Always wanted a Fisher CR7.

So did I! I also wanted a Klein Attitude on white, red & green.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CR7, Burner (Raleigh).

matt_outandabout

Bez- I *still* want a Cannondale XS800. Anyone got one in L/suit a 6’er?

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Fat chance YoEddy; Tomac’s ’91 world champs Raleigh Technium in black/silver/green with Tioga DiscDrive – cool as.

brakes
    Free Member

I must have been blind as a child
    wanted one of these

or one of these

or one of these

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

+1 for the San Andreas, had nothing in common with my riding style but it was completely left-field when it arrived in the UK

Kuco

Looking at it now i’m not sure why I really wanted a Santa Cruz Tazmon.

LoCo
    Free Member

Kirk Magnesium

meehaja
    Free Member

GT Zaskar. It was a P7, but I’ve got one now.

vinnyeh

a Funk
    a Dekerf
    A Schwinn Straight 8, ideally with Airlines, just for the hell of it.

ontor
    Free Member

I wanted a muddy fox rok and roll ultimate (?) with the linked front and rear suspension

geetee1972
    Free Member

Another vote for the Yo Eddy. The most aesthetically pleasing lines on a bike ever.

In thinking of having a custom hard tail made with modern geometry that pays homage to the tubes and lines of the Yo Eddy

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Always wanted a bontrager or a funk

boxxer7
    Free Member

Giant ATX2 in that lovely blue with green swing arm 😀

Toasty

A shiny Zaskar, I had one of the new fangled carbon ones in an attempt at appeasing the retrobiker in me, but it was rubbish. As well as Trek Y frame (purely for novelty), Proflex 857, old style Kona steel bikes, quite a few I’d quite like if I ever had the shed space 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Bikes you really wanted but never owned.’ is closed to new replies.