• This topic has 58 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by gerti.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Bikes you no longer ride, but don't want to sell.
  • righog
    Free Member

What have you done with them ? Frame on the wall ? sitting at the back of the garage….Or is this sentimentally just not for you.

I have a Boardman road bike which I probably wont ride again, but dont really want to sell.

scaredypants

I have an old steel road frame on the turbo that originally was my dad’s and was built in our hometown (then rebuilt 30 years ago after I crashed it).

Keeping that. All the rest can f’off

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

My Bfe will end up like that, when it or I am too old to ride.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Scott scale 26er hardtail set up as a single speed, rode it about a year ago but cleaned it in the winter!

righog
    Free Member

Ah, good call Scardypants…A permanent Turbo bike

Simon

I’ve still got my old Prophet frame hanging in the cellar. I might build it up for my eldest daughter at some point.

mattbee

Some in the attic, some in the garage. I just pile stuff on top of them until the problem goes away.

breadcrumb

I’ve got a 1994 Univega Alpina 5.3 frame and forks on the garage.

Bought as a complete bike in 95 then sold to a mate, who then gave it back to me a few years ago.

I’ve toyed with putting a larger diameter headtube on and disc mounts.

It’ll probably just end up on the garage wall one day.

cookeaa

Funnily enough I was just in the garage, mentally assembling a turbo bike from the pile of junk before me…

RDL-82
    Free Member

I sell them all as I just don’t have the space however I wish I’d never got rid of my Genesis IO or Cotoc BFe with the scotchbrite graphics.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

On my walls:

Zaskar XTR,
    Charge Plug 5,
    CAAD10 Ultegra,
    Boardman carbon Team Tiagra,
    Trek 4400 SLX,
    Diamondback AVR Tru Temper frame and a
    Boardman CX Rival x1.

I’m bored with them all and the local terrain near me is road.

After smacking my head on the forks of the Zaskar, I’ve had enough and will be breaking them to flog as I want space to service my CX.

I want 1 bike to do it all.

If you don’t use it for 6 months, sell it otherwise you’re a hoarder 😳

oldschool

I’ve got a 1994 Univega Alpina 5.3 frame and forks on the garage.

Bought as a complete bike in 95 then sold to a mate, who then gave it back to me a few years ago.

Sounds almost identical to me, same bike which was my first ‘proper’ mtb. Gave yo my brother early 2000’s and then ended up back with me and in the garage attic. Stripped it down and had the frame and forks powder coated last year and then built into a single speed. Probably never sell it.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got my steel Sunn Tzar frame hanging on the wall- it was the first bike I did a race on so won’t sell it. I’d still be using it but I managed to get hold of a small 26″ Soul (bit slacker) to replace it 😀

edit- I’ve got an XS BFe as well which I intend to hoard cos it’s not worth much.

kongman28
    Free Member

An Orange MsIsle. One day I’ll use it at the local pump track.

scotroutes

My old Ti “Onion”. I’ll never sell it and I don’t ride it so it’s currently on loan to another, more deserving, STWer (talking of which, we’re due an update 🙂 )

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

My old PRST-1.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve got a Giant NSR frame in the attic,it needs new frame bearings.
    My first proper MTB was a Speccy Hardrock,that frame hangs in the garage.
    My 2005 Enduro got resurrected for a trip to Les Arcs a couple of years ago. I’ve since used it for a few trips to Stiniog,but it must be last summer since I last rode it.I’ll build it up again for our next visit & when I finally give up mountain biking I’ll keep it as a ornament..

Onzadog
    Free Member

My Turner 6-Pack from 2005 was unridden for over a year as I got a new RFX. Didn’t sell the 6-Pack as it would never get a fraction of what it’s worth. Fortunate that I didn’t as its been doing sterling service after my RFX let me down. However, it is about to get moth balled again.

stumpyjon

Giant Terrago from 1996, fully rigid. Came with Magura hydraulic rim brakes. Now back in it’s original format (with LX V brakes circa 1998) having taken off the Mozo Pro forks which are now totally rigid as the elastomers have hardened. It was in use as a tug for a while pulling a trailer initially and more recently a tag along. Kids now ride on their own so its been gathering dust for a few years. I’ve also realised it’s too big for me. Can’t part with it though I really should chuck the Mozo Pros. Might be a candidate for a turbo bike at some point.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Raleigh Competition new in 1983 as part of a batch from Special products for college course. In the attic. Also keeping one of the first Moultons, a Rogers and a Higgins trike frame (with the ambition of mending then riding them. Can’t see me selling the Pickenflick either.
    One other that won’t be sold either. 2006 Specialized Enduro. No bugger wants it. Sat on it too long just in case and wheels changed size.

rone

Fortunate that I didn’t as its been doing sterling service after my RFX let me down.

What happened to the RFX?

I’m unlikely to sell my Flux 650 as it appears to be the last of the US ally Turners. I do still ride the Flux. Just not locally much.

metalheart
    Free Member

My 10 yo Soul is about to be going to the Loon (as he has no bike and I haven’t ridden to Soul for a fair while). He should’ve picked it up today but he filled his car with other stuff instead 😳

I’ll be dropping it off for him next week instead 😆

Nae loss fit a frien gains as my mum used to say….

strawman
    Free Member

I’ve got an orange clockwork with Rockshox indys on that I stripped and an artist painted up as a project. Was refurbing but could never get enough cash and ran out of patience…bought a 96 Rockhopper with a decent set of bomber’s and v brakes that’s got me back into mountain biking. I might swap parts off that onto the Orange. Dunno yet.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I can’t and won’t admit on a public forum to the huge amount of stuff I’m keeping.

Not sure my better half would approve lol

Biggest waste has to be the orange vit T xx with sid wc that I don’t ride more than a few times a year but 26″ light hardtails are worth so little

jb72
    Free Member

Orange C16R. Bought new in 1996 … just can’t sell it. Worth more to me than it would fetch on Gumtree.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

We have a dozen or more bikes in the house, not sure. 😳
    Probably half of them haven’t been ridden more than twice a year since the last decade. They are all fully maintained and ready to go. Just swapped a pair of tyres on friday, winter to summer, last thing i did on it was swap from summers to winters.
    Haven’t actually ridden it since last time it had winter tyres on it. 3 years ago………. maybe 4.

Another 7 or 8 in storage in the UK, maybe 10, can’t remember, some are classics and have history/memories for me (or the wife), some are just bikes i’ve had. Plan is to empty the unit this summer, 80% of what’s in there will be either sent to charity shop, scrapped or eBayed. (I’ve been paying for the unit since 1990 ish and only visited once since 2000……….)

All the bikes and bits will be coming home 😳 (There’s also half a dozen or more banana boxes full of new/part used components/tubs/finishing kit/pedals/saddles and probably 10 extra sets of wheels. They come home too. We’re not flying!)

And another 3 classic 80’s bikes that are technically mine, but are on display on in storage (i don’t know, not seen them for years) not particularly bothered what happens to them.

Yeah, i rarely sell anything. 😳

I hate selling stuff…… people always take the piss.
    They always turn up and try to reduce the price that’s been agreed “because they’ve got cash”.

Lots of people have left disappointed.

dawson

Kona Lava dome, set up singlespeed, not ridden it for 2 years. Not really worth anything, so I might as well keep it for a bit

mattsccm
    Free Member

oops. double post.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

An orange 5 and a mkII Marin rift zone frames plus a Kona Explosif 853 that is used for turbo duties and still has the original bottom bracket (they don’t make em like that anymore). The Marin’s head angle looks like you need to phone the samaritians before riding it. What were we thinking of?!

ton

bikes are tools, nothing more.
    if not ridden, sold.

righog
    Free Member

bikes are tools, nothing more.

Call me a soft sh..te 🙂

The Boardman was a 40 th birthday present from the wife and kids, they saved up for it when we were not flush money wise, my son also did the “Pike” moment “Dont tell him about the bike” which still makes us laugh…Also done some memorable rides on it that I am unlikey to repeat.

mattbee

Current ‘spares’ pile includes Klein Fervour (’92) that I’ll never get rid of, Trek 9000, Thorn Raven Enduro 853, Transition Bandit, Bianchi SL road frame & 1977 LeJeune road frameset. I think that’s it…

JoeBlob

Cove Stiffee 69er, not a good one to google or explain to the kid’s.
    Mojo HD, another of those bikes that went out of fashion overnight, apparently.

andy4d

My old cube acid, first proper mountain bike. Is now used for turbo duties until jnr is big enough to ride it. No point selling it as it worth buttons and to sentimentality attached to it

ajantom

I’ve currently got a 1997 Independent Fabrications Deluxe SS on the workshop wall. Beautiful frame, probably won’t ever sell it.

I did also have a red RC200 F8 on the wall, but did sell it to find another bike. Kind of regret it.

Northwind

My Hemlock frame- I basically learned to ride on that thing- first downhill race, first enduro, every foreign holiday, 2 EWS rounds, so many miles that I desroyed the thing completely.

And my Onza T-Bird. In fact I’ve barely ever ridden it but I had a load of fun fixing it up and I keep thinking I’ll learn to trials some day (and history suggests that if I sell the Stupid Bike I Don’t Ride, I instantly get a hankering for another- the Onza replaced Haro Nyquist BMX that I also never rode.

Everything else gets ridden frequently but despite that I could still easily replace them- my enduro bike and my hybrid are absolutely superb at their jobs but I’ve got no emotional connection at all.

Stoner
    Free Member

A 1st gen On-One Scandal 29er with real scandium.

And the Pompinos

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No such thing as a bike I wouldn’t sell.

HansRey

my GT Hans Rey trials frame and Marin Quake are keepers. The time between consequent rides can be 3-4 months and I feel completely comfortable each time.

However, my liteville 301 mk10 will be moving on. Just can’t get along with it, despite 18months of fettling.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Don’t sell the IF !!

A Merlin in the attic ready to ride. Should be on the wall.
    Fatty hanging in the garage treads to ride. Should be sold.
    Brian Rouke in the attic ready to ride. Should be on the wall.
    Lightspeed hanging in the garage ready to ride.
    Moulton in the attic ready to ride. Should be ridden.
    Heckler hanging in the garage ready to ride. Should be ridden.
    All have been great in their day, still can be fun but not worth much now and not worth selling now.

One one SS in shed, once a month bike.
    Cotic 29 in shed, once a week bike.
    My Stumpjumper 86, now a tourer, once/twice a week road bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Bikes you no longer ride, but don't want to sell.’ is closed to new replies.