Viewing 6 posts - 161 through 166 (of 166 total)
  • Bikes you bought and ended up hating…..
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’ve been really surprised reading this thread.

There have been bikes I’ve loved more than others but each has had enough positive points to make it enjoyable in its own right.

I’ve learnt in 20 years of mtb’ing that there’s no allrounder (although modern tech is getting us closer). Get an XC bike that’ll batter the hell out of you on the way down or a full sus that’ll a pig going up but worth it when the trails head down.

Having said that, the bike I loved least was a Cannondale F3000SL. An ex-team bike. Carbon lefty, absolutely dripping in bling but it felt like it was trying to shorten my spine. Ridiculously stiff. The stiffness though translated into an absolute speed-machine on the ‘soft’ 90’s XC courses.

I have great memories from rides on that bike, as with every bike I’ve owned. There are better bikes and worse bikes in the world but, two wheels good

dukeduvet

Another vote for Giant xtc 26″

heavy, short top tube (my fault I suppose) and would not go round a corner without throwing me off. tried everything to remedy – bars, stem, tyres but no use. Finish was crap. a ride on an Anthem and Trance restored my faith in Giant to make a decent bike

cheers_drive

Apart from the Genius these are perhaps better described as bikes I didn’t get on with rather than hate.

Lapierre Zesty – As with one of the first posters I had issue with the seat angle putting me to far back making steep climbs a pain. Fast going down at trail centres, didn’t like tight twisty stuff. Several warranty issues culminating in getting at 2011 version which wasn’t any better performance wise.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/6wpX6N]Lapierre Afan[/url] by Cheers Drive, on Flickr

Dialled PA – Unresponsive and harsh, OK at trail centres but boring in the woods.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/5XVQ4o]PA on snowy trail[/url] by Cheers Drive, on Flickr

Croix De Fer – Actually not too bad in the woods but on the road it was wooden and unresponsive. Looked lovely though.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/dTvEJY]Untitled[/url] by Cheers Drive, on Flickr

But the worse one was definitely a 2004 Scott Genius, that will teach me for buying a WMB bike of the rear. Unresponsive suspension, stupid seat angle, bearings that last a few months, propriety shock that never gave up it’s travel and often broke. So bad that I haven’t even got a photo of it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Having said that, the bike I loved least was a Cannondale F3000SL. An ex-team bike. Carbon lefty, absolutely dripping in bling but it felt like it was trying to shorten my spine. Ridiculously stiff. The stiffness though translated into an absolute speed-machine on the ‘soft’ 90’s XC courses.

Wierdly, I liked ‘dale for precicely that reason. Paid £300 for it 2nd hand with some continental supersonic tyres and V-brakes. Weighed almost nothing once I;d removed to thworst of the OEM kit and went like a rocketship due to that stiffness. It was so stiff it gave the impression it was actualy trying to push me forewards!

I’d love a new F29 or similar if it was that good but I suspect they’ll have tamed it down.

flashes
    Free Member

My vote goes to a Jones Spaceframe, I couldn’t get on with it. One size does not fit all. Def didn’t hate it, you could tell it was an awesome bit of kit, but kept reaching for the Inbred or fixed Karate Monkey.
    Also didn’t get on with Genesis IO (wooden)’, Scandle, 853 On One, 16″ Overbury, although the 18″ is brill……

darkcyan
    Free Member

Yeti asr 5.

Just didn’t get on with it at all.

So bad it must b me!

Viewing 6 posts - 161 through 166 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Bikes you bought and ended up hating…..’ is closed to new replies.