Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 166 total)
  • Bikes you bought and ended up hating…..
  • generallevi
    Free Member

On the whole, when we spank some money on a shiny new bike we tend to lean to the side of praising it to the hilt, to anyone who will listen to justify the kind of expenditure that has taken place.

However, deep down has there been a bike that for whatever reason had you wanting to get it on eBay?

Mine was a 2009 Lapierre Zesty 914, bought whilst living and working in Belgium with tax free and NATO discount, the only way I could ever afford the top model. The problem with this bike and one that Lapierre have improved every year since was it’s almost horizontal seat angle…. So much bling, but a right pig on the uphills. 6 of us bought them on our base and we rode them in events all over Beglium. Nobody ever admitted to not liking them until now.

Silenced by pride…. 😉

flange
    Free Member

Yep, a tern folder

A specialized tri cross

A yeti cross bike

A specialized camber carbon 29er

A cube xc race bike

honourablegeorge

If the seat angle was too slack, a layback post was hardly going to help matters

AlexSimon

Alpinestars Cro-mega DX (c. 1990)

(not my bike)

Awful – the first time I realised that steel frames can be heavy lumpen dead things.
    Thankfully I worked at a bike shop so I sold at same price and went back to Kona after only 3 months with it.

jimjam
    Free Member

This piece of shit.

Snapped in half after about 6 weeks. In a way I was glad though as it was dire. Partly my fault though as I knew it wasn’t right for me but got suckered in by the looks.

generallevi
    Free Member

I didn’t put it on there George,

That was standard spec……!

It was off straight away for an inline

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

On One Fatty

Too heavy, too rotate

weeksy

Wilder escape.

God awful thing

sneakyg4

Orange Five, suckered in by the promise of low maintenance and toughness.

To be fair it was reliable and easy to look after right up to the point it cracked.

Didn’t pedal well, didn’t ride well, just can’t grasp why people bang on about them.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cotic Roadrat.
    Might be fine as a SS but add gears and mudguards with the horizontal dropouts and it’s the worlds biggest struggle to get the back wheel out. I nearly threw it in a ditch. I was also between sizes and the medium always get big and tall but a small would have been too small. AND it was flexy too. Add a load on the back and it handled like a trifle.
    Bought used and sold on for the same price, I replaced it with a Cararra Subway which was a far better bike.

generallevi
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    This piece of shit.

Snapped in half after about 6 weeks. In a way I was glad though as it was dire. Partly my fault though as I knew it wasn’t right for me but got suckered in by the looks.

Can see how it happened, lovely looking bike. Think we both fell for the Lapierre curse…. 😉

dmc
    Free Member

Gary Fisher super cal ! light as but twitch and didnt steer too well genesis geometry anyone !!!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Had a few I’ve not liked over the years
    2008 sworks stumpy fsr just never felt stable on it
    Tricross heavy on the road rubbish off it
    Salsa spear fish , bit dull to ride but was quick

ton

do you have a hour or two? far too many to list.
    2 at the forefront are, a gary fisher fat possum. rode like a jelly. tyre rubbed the stays with any stood up peddaling.
    and a orange sub zero hartail, suckered in to buy a too small size, which broke, and orange took months to sort out.
    i would never buy from such a shoddy company ever again.

onandon
    Free Member

Specialized fsr in 2008 – what a total pile of dull beige uninspiring shite. Really so very very very dull. It also made me hate fox forks which I’ve never used again and hope brakes which were pure evil.

The Giant tvr advanced sl was also a pile of shite, the integrated seatpost was sooooo unforgiving that I hated riding it.
    I sold it for a massive loss in just over 2 months of buying it.

Edited for stupid spelling mistakes

generallevi
    Free Member

on and on – Member
    Specialized fsr in 2008 – what a total pile of dull beige uninspiring shite. Really so very ver very dull. It also made me hate fox forks which I never used again and hope barkes which were pure evil.

Couldn’t agree more on the Hope brakes. Would have more feel strapping a broom handle to your bars…..

Never owned again since, which is a shame as they may feel mega now. Crazy how a bad experience can stay with you.

postierich
    Free Member

Whyte 46 £2600 of awfulness got suckered in with reviews it wanted to kill me on the downs!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/3j3Pyr]DSC00045[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Edric64
    Free Member

A Ribble Aluminium road bike in about 2002 unresponsive dog ,so I reverted to 531

zippykona

GT Xizang. Chain suck central. Ended up with me giving it the full Basil Fawlty treatment with a handy bush after sucking once too much.

binners

*tannoy*

Hora to the forum please. Hora to the forum please

goldenwonder
    Free Member

On One 456.
    Hateful, heavy, slow, nasty piece of scrap gas pipe.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Heckler.
    Always felt ‘perched’ on top of it, and always felt I was about to go OTB on the downhills.
    My friend that bought it off me loves it, so I guess it’s just me.

ton

456 best vfm bit of kit ever…….imho 😀

Santa Cruz Heckler………me too, felt like i was gonna go over the bars going downhill.

crispyrice

2013 Cube Reaction GTC SL 29, may as well have bought a road bike.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Global Ti that I built to 19lb or so. Xtr/olymlic wheels, reba wc, carbon, 400g IRC Mythos tyres etc. Rode horrifically. Felt dangerous.

generallevi
    Free Member

postierich – Member
    Whyte 46 £2600 of awfulness got suckered in with reviews it wanted to kill me on the downs!

I can’t actually believe this but I had that bike also! Was an insurance replacement for my stolen Spesh Enduro in 2005!

And I can attest to it trying to kill me at every opportunity whilst riding in Les Arcs.! 😉 however, you can’t argue with the value at £2600. Full XT, Carbon Easton bars, Hope Hubs, Expensive but life threatening Maverick forks….

You would struggle to get most companies base models for that cash now in 2014…..

goldenwonder
    Free Member

2013 Cube Reaction? What don’t you like about it? ( genuinely curious, as I love mine!)

isitafox
    Free Member

Bionic B5 mod trials bike, was way too short for me and almost killed my back in an instant (had back trouble ever since).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/isitafox/IMG_20110324_100143.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

bol

Never got on with my Mmmbop. Harsh as hell and didn’t ever seem to want to go round things.

PePPeR

Dialled bikes Prince Albert, just no life in it whatsoever, I’d sold a wonderfully lively Saracen Zen which although cheap had been a fun thing to ride in the same mould.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Titus motolite. Never felt confident on it. Postierich – I test rode a Whyte 46 like that one, thankfully – meant any small chance of me buying one was quickly shelved. Death machine indeed.

generallevi
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    GT Xizang. Chain suck central. Ended up with me giving it the full Basil Fawlty treatment with a handy bush after sucking once too much.

This is timeless……! Having visions of you losing the plot and the missus is sat here wondering what I am laughing about 😉

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

In my BMX days anything made by Haro, GT or Mongoose…. and I owned a few.

More recently an On One inbred.

ska-49
    Free Member

Specialized enduro ’11, On-one SS456 and Inbred, Giant Reign ’09 & Kona Major One. Hated them with a passion.

Tiboy

trek ex9, flexy piece of turd, destroyed my confidence downhills as it was all over the place… I miss my enduro 🙁

sssimon
    Free Member

cotic soul- felt dead to the world
    cotic soda- felt like spaghetti
    commencal meta4- how heavy can you make an xc full sus frame

stevied
    Free Member

Wanted to get a hardtail so found a nice 456 carbon.
    Built it up nicely for a bit of everything, hated the damn thing..

rob2
    Free Member

A few..

Original c456 – handled like a dog

Sanderson breath – far far too long and low. Sold after two rides

Cotic x – heavy, heavy, heavy

wiggles
    Free Member

Merida hard tail thing. Was the bike that got me back into MTB but my god it was terrible nothing worked on it at all I changed most of the parts. Then as soon as I rode another bike I realised what a miserable excuse for a bike it was.

mamadirt
    Free Member

deep down has there been a bike that for whatever reason had you wanting to get it on eBay?

Ha ha, a very regular occurrence for me. Mainly though because I freakin’ love bikes – probably complete a couple of new builds per month which are then test-ridden and sold on to fund the next project. There have been many over the years but very few that I really didn’t get on with. Amongst those though are a lovely matte black Mountain Cycle Battery – looked a million dollars but the angles felt all wrong – super-short toptube and very steep headtube even with 160mm Lyriks – weird. Probably the one I lost the most money on though was a beautiful Foes Predator hardtail imported from Canada – one run down the FOD downhill track had me chucking it in the bushes after it had bucked me off on every rooty section on the way down 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Bikes you bought and ended up hating…..’ is closed to new replies.