Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bikes with home insurance – M&S alternative?
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

Are there any suitable alternatives to M&S home insurance with regards to bikes?

Our renewal premium has rocketed, so looking for another insurer. Someone good with high value items ideally, as this is where M&S fall down.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m with Zurich – bike(s) as specified item. Reminds me, I need to get my poncy road bike on there!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Tried Zurich, but they can’t give me a quote unfortunately.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

happened to me last year. go to the m&s website and get a fresh quote . likely to be a lot less. I phoned them up and told them this, got no reduction in renewal so cancelled it and then bought the same again on the website for much less.

Thanks for reminding me that i need to go through it all again this month!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Try John Lewis – GreenBee I think. They were pretty much the same underwriters as M&S before Marksies swapped to Aviva or whatever they are now.

Looked pretty comparable in terms of cover for a lot less. Migth bounce over to them next renewal and come back to M&S the year after as a new customer (aka paying a lot less then).

Drac

Yup just let it expire and get a new one through M&S online again.

MadBillMcMad

hmmm,

I have the same issue with M&S.

Just got a quote from GreenBee for 50% of M&S.

MtbRoutes

My M&S renewal was very similar to putting in a fresh quote on the website. While trying a quote on the website I realised my renewal excesses were set to £0. I changed my buildings excess to £100 (leaving the contents excess at £0) and the website premium went down about £30. I rang up to do the same on my renewal and it came down nearly £40. Happy with that.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

look out on the GreenBee as there are a few bits and pieces that M&S cover that GreenBee doesnt. THe M&S cover was crazy for away from home and not having to specify individual items.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I’ll look into Green Bee, thanks.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’m looking at changing insurers. all that i look at seem to cite £2,500 as the maximum bike value. how have you chaps got cover for higher individual values and who with?

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m with ING who had great bike insurance as standard when I took it out but not checked again since renewing which I really ought to have….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

theflatboy – M&S is £4000

theflatboy
    Free Member

well i was with ING, just rang them to tell about the house move. noticed that the value of my bike was listed too low on the policy and queried it.

was informed that they don’t insure any more than £2,500 for bikes and no more than £1,000 for each, and never have. this came as a slight surprise as it turns out my much more expensive bike has effectively been uninsured for some time.

theflatboy
    Free Member

cheers TJ, but apparently:

We are sorry but we cannot provide a quote.

we cannot offer cover for the house you live in because it is in an area with a high risk of flood and/or subsidence

Thank you for your time.

from M&S 😡

theflatboy
    Free Member

any other suggestions? 🙁

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Hiscox – covers about 4k for bikes – suppossed to be hasle free on claims, has been for me so far.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Plus contents insurance is generally higher and more realistic than the defaults with the other insurers.

theflatboy
    Free Member

cheers, i’ll take a look.

mudshark
    Free Member

don’t insure any more than £2,500 for bikes and no more than £1,000 for each, and never have

Hmmm well that’s not what I was told when I arranged my insurance with them a few years ago – had a chat on the phone about it and in the info on the web at the time seemed clear. Seems mine are not insured either.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Definitely double-check then, we have now cancelled with ING for that and other reasons.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bikes with home insurance – M&S alternative?’ is closed to new replies.