Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • Bikes that you instantly hated.
  • NormalMan

Kirk revolution. (going back a bit)

trail_rat
    Free Member

22lb Giant XTC build on the “frame only” option ….

low bb , steep head angle .. .speced by a mate against all my advice with 80mm sids and really really harsh rear end !

im also anti boardman … they are mutton dressed as lamb .. good componants hung on a shite frame (ive had the misfortune to ride a few correcting the local halfords really bad mechanic work) and they use really cheap hidden bits , headsets and bbs etc to keep to the price point.

acjim
    Free Member

hmm, always managed to enjoy any bike – maybe I’ve just not ridden enough of the things!

Closest to hate was for a Scott hardtail I hired in Rotorua – shocky mech discs, clunky top out forks – basically as cheap as pos – still had a bloody good ride on it though, even including some pretty decent sized drops and steep stuff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

on one – after all the hype i was expecting something special
    demo8 – yet to ride one that feels nice, i reckon sam/brendons might be a bit different.

rocket
    Free Member

OK, not hated, but don’t get on with my 456. Just don’t get on with the geometry. Keep meaning to bung it on the classifieds.

Sat on a mates whyte 46 once – awful. Felt better after he got the ‘alpine link’ (exciting name for something that puts right a crap design)

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Spesh Epic – Just felt like a big, fat, heavy hardtail. I don’t think the tyres helped though

rickmeister

Another Spesh Epic hater here. I ended up throwing it down more trails than I rode and just before it got lobbed off the Forth Road Bridge, I gave it to Mrs Rickmeister who now uses it to commute 9 miles to work…. I still hate even doing maintanence on the thing…. grrrrrrrr…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Oddly, after a few years of riding Orange Sub5s, I shifted to a turner 5spot. A year later, we test rode some bikes with a friend who was looking for something new. The new 5 was in there, and I hated it. Twitchy, scrabbled for traction under power on climbs, and spat out the rear wheel at times of peak output (something I disliked about the ones I owned anyway) too light in the rough stuff to hold a line properly.

YUK.

I acknowledge this may have had something to do with the 5spot as my regular ride.

DezB
    Free Member

I usually find something to like about the bikes, but I can think of 2 that I hated riding:
    Charge Duster – felt dead and heavy, looked great though.
    Giant Reign (mk 1) – worst climbing bike ever, sucked energy like a sponge. Not bad going downwards though.

cp

a dave hinde custom built road bike. was just wrong!!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Orange Patriot 7+ felt really high and I didnt feel confident on it at all. It jumped pretty well though

MrOvershoot

higgo – Member
    Yeti 575 – felt very similar to the Mongoose Teocali I was looking to replace except much taller – I was sat on top of it, not riding it.

At least you got some fool to take the Goose of your hands 😉
    Test ridden
    Meta 5.5 felt like I was having to wind it up, Giant Trance felt like it was short on travel, Whyte46 front felt detached from the back!(though if it was the same one that Higgo had that is possible 😛 )
    Without exception all of them had the brakes and shifters set to close to the grips to the point where I was changing gear with my thumb knuckle by accident.
    Bikes owned by mates I tried but didn’t like. Spesh FSR up to 07 anyway suspension seemed stiff one minute then blowing through all the travel the next? Intense 6.6 though that could of been due to euro brake set up and faulty shock. Giant Carbon HT with all bling kit just way to skittery for me.

Liked all the Orange 5’s I’ve tried though and I really want to try a Trek Remedy though

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Spesh Epic – Just felt like a big, fat, heavy hardtail.

Yep. Sluggish and awkward, I found it. I hated the way the back end suddenly gives, I know it’s designed to do that, but it just felt wrong. And they are a real PITA to set up propply.

My Spesh P3, I din’t get on with. Just not my sort of thing.

Santa Cruz Chameleon; dead, heavy frame, just felt like a cheapo heavy bike. No give whatsoever. I woon’t want to ride that to the pub, let alone for any real distance, and certainly not off road.

Basically, anything heavy. I want to ride a bike somewhere, pootle about, look at the view. I don’t want something that I have to schlep about with, and slog away trying to get the thing moving.

shortcut

I would like to throw the Whyte PRST 1 into the ring.

I never rode one but they just look wrong on so very many levels.

As for bike I have actually riddne and hated instantly.

Saracen Estay steel thing from 1990 ish in white with Maguras and orange forks. All wrong.

1990 ish Specialized Stumpjumper Team – it really was a gate.

An early Trek Liquid – just did not work for me.

greasystain
    Free Member

Test rode a Trance X – really disappointed as I love my old skool Trance.

To be honest though I think it may have been something to do with the super-long stem – urgh -felt like it needed a shopping basket on the front.

guido

All Oranges and Whytes. far too much metal

bikerbruce
    Free Member

all oranges,whytes and marins anything with tires wider than 2.4 and 6inch travel plus and anything heavier than 24lbs.
    mind you thats just my opinion.
    Bruce

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I think all bikes are mega!

alpin
    Free Member

GT hardtails… we’ve got a GT Zaskar ’96/7 down stairs and an old steel GT summit-a-ruvva – just the frame though. both belong to a mate.

the Zaskar is harsh as **** – yeah, i know it’s a ‘race’ bike but, he doesn’t race. can’t ride it down a set of steps or over drops without the chain ring almost scraping.

and the thing that i really don not understand with GT HT’s is why do that stupid extra triangle? i remember reading in their blurb that it sends the vibrations from the rear onto the top-tube and not the seat tube and up to the saddle. load of twaddle.

also some norco thingymajig. heavy and dead feeling. ok, it was built up beefy but when my bike was kaputt and i only had the option of that i declined to par-take in any riding activity.

johnners
    Free Member

Hate’s a bit strong but I disliked my Roadrat from the minute I slung my leg over it. So much so that I stripped it down and sold the frame and wheels (which I’d built specially) in pretty short order. That sort of decisive action is very unusual for me, usually things end up in the loft in case I decide to give them another try in a couple of years!

alpin
    Free Member

@ johnners….i think there are a lot of us who should be a little more like you making decisions to rid ourselves of bits. would certainly free up some space in this house…

rolfharris
    Free Member

GT hardtails is a good call- something wierd about the geometry I coud never get.

Perhaps the worst specific bike I’ve ridden was a Giant NRS- the suspension was disastrous and when you ride an Anthem you can see just how far Giant have come recently.

Without doubt though, as a genre, 29ers are an awful idea. Slow handling, slow acceleration, very dead feeling and substandard performance in every technical situation you can imagine. Not bad in flowy singletrack though.

boobs

Stoner’s 29″ gate with the rolhof and daft fork. I did not enjoy that at all. Niche yes, nice no!

kpt1972
    Free Member

Specialized s-works endouro sl carbon – pig of a bike which rode like a camel -it was one bike i was glad to give back.

mamadirt
    Free Member

This one . . .

Cost me an arm and a leg and looked the absolute bomb. First ride out and wow, how fast!!! The day after, I took it to FOD with a friend . . . one run down the Sallow Valets track, my feet came flying off the pedals and I was cr@p . . . it was all over 😕

johnners
    Free Member

“@ johnners….i think there are a lot of us who should be a little more like you making decisions to rid ourselves of bits. would certainly free up some space in this house…”

I wish I was like that more often, but it’s about the only time I’ve ever done it!

nickc

Cotic Soul, tried a mate’s, felt like it was trying to spit me off the front. Borrowed a Explosif, wanted so much to like it, but it was only just average, no feeling it just felt dead, so disappointed.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Giant Trance and Scott Genius both felt horrible. Slow, uninspiring, made me feel I’d rather walk.

Then I got on a Spesh Epic and it felt like it had an engine. Fantastic. Fast and feels so surefooted. So I bought one 🙂

freeform5spot
    Free Member

Cove Hustler

Just didnt get it, felt to big and it hurt me.

catnash
    Free Member

04 575, just didnt like it from day 1, spent a long time trying to like it. If I married it I would have been divorced/marriage of convenience.

sherry
    Free Member

It has to be the early Orange mr o, that bike was really poor! A lot of DH bikes back then were cr@p in hindsight.

rOcKeTdOg

orange O2 special edition, harsh ride and i hated it

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Santa Cruz superlight for me, everyone raved about them but I hated every minute of riding it.

Also Litespeed Vortex road frame, I had wanted one forever, finally managed to find the cash for one and it was awful, really bad ride, wouldn’t go in a straight line to save it’s life.

Lots of people slating the Scott Genius, odd, it’s one of the best bikes I’ve ever owned. Just goes to show it’s horses for courses.

r6ymy
    Free Member

Whyte 46, was expecting great things but it felt tall, slow and soggy, and generally dull.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

FSR Spesh’s.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Marin Riftzone (2005)…great reviews, good kit but, when ridden, just felt awful IMHO

Eccles
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable’s Cove. Forks too short, bars to narrow, shocking brakes and as for that colour…

steve_b77
    Free Member

’08 & ’09 Commencal Meta 55’s they just feel like you’re actually sat in the frame, bloody awful IMHO, nowt like marketing hype though 😉

hot_fiat

Anything that my riding buddies Stu or Bill buy.

Stu’s Orange Aluminium O had the weirdest handling of any bike ever, or so I thought until I rode his Norco (can’t remember the name Spec FSR mk1 clone). It was just plain wrong.

Bill always buys bike that are way too big anyone. He’s 5’6″ and would regularly turn up on something designed for Arnold Schwarzennegger, like a 19″ Giant Coldrock, the Marin B15 in XL size, or the piece de resistance: the 21″ Cannondale Super V, complete with 170mm stem that could be flipped between somewhere just above the front tyre and a position almost but not quite in the stratosphere.

mildred

Norco A-line (tried to kill me)
    Cotic Soda – Noodle
    Turner 5 spot – creaky horst linked wallowing swamp pig (loved the look – still do, was ready to purchase, then took the shop owners personal bike on a demo – not good)
    Marin Wolf Ridge – no Alpine link could ever save that piece of shit
    Airborne/Van Nicholas Zion – Noodle

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Bikes that you instantly hated.’ is closed to new replies.