• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Nobby.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bikes that just won't die.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

I’ve had a my current road bike about 8 years, the groupset is a Dura Ace groupset off another bike which is about 12 years old with replaced Shifters a few years back. I feel like getting a new road bike this year, but to be fair my current one is still running ok. I’d feel a lot better about getting a new bike if lots of parts had to be replaced, or the frame failed etc, doesn’t look like that will happen. I’m almost hoping someone will sabotage it during the night. The front mech seizes up a lot, but thats it! I probably ride it about 150-200 times a year and its battling on well, but I feel its time for a change! 🙂
    Any similar situations?

finbar
    Free Member

Mike, my old Trek XO (you might remember it from uni rides if you are who I think you are 😉 ) had about 12 years and 35,000 miles on or something similar when I finally moved it on.

I eventually got rid when the downtube bottle cage bosses worked themselves loose – I probably could have araldited them back in, but as you say, sometimes you just need an excise to get rid!

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Old Dura Ace stuff is amazing. I have an old bike from about 2001 with Dura Ace and it still works spot on although it has been well looked after. Doesn’t get used much now as I have a newer bike. The latest Dura Ace is very nice though and that’s what I know use. Will it last as long? I doubt it.

DezB
    Free Member

Why would a road bike ever die? (unless you get knocked off, like what I did).
    My Yeti 575. Since 2006, will replace when it breaks, til then… love it.

kcal

my road bike eventually became uneconomic to keep going and I flogged the frame, forks and bits for around £120. It was a 1985 Falcon with bent rear axle and seized on threaded freewheel though.

Oh, and my geared MTB is from 1998, SS MTB from c. 1995. New road bike is s/h from around 2003 I think.

legolam
    Free Member

The bike that currently gets the most use in my house is my Edinburgh Bike Co rigid MTB that was bought for £200 when I was 12. I’m 32 now.

It’s currently in Frankenbike commuter guise and the only parts I’ve changed on it in the last 20 years are tyres (twice), cassette and chain (twice), chainset (once), BB (once) and shifters/cables (once). I’m fairly sure the bike itself is indestructible (it’s been in a couple of decent accidents too).

Northwind

I just retired my carrera mtb this year- it’s not dead, I just got a new bike, it’s in the attic now. 1991 I think, tange steel rigid with exage, still on the original rear hub… Binned the cantis and the flexstem, destroyed the front wheel and the bars, wore so much metal off the cranks I decided to replace them… But still, not bad halfords.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

1994 ti ibis, now SS, has been repaired recently but still going and going and going, shes my mistress.

kcal

oh, and my very first MTB, 1986 or similar Rockhopper in bright yellow, is still kicking about Peebles with a different owner..

D0NK

Any similar situations?

uh uh. no way. not a chance.
    I post up an example I own and I may aswell take a hacksaw to the frame myself coz it’ll be dead by the end of the week.

But I’ll say there are a few upgrade opportunities that seem to be taking their time in coming around and I shall be sad to see them go.

njee20
    Free Member

Likewise my roadbike, a 2005 Madone SL 5.9. It’s nicely specced – full Dura Ace, Race X Lite wheels etc. I demoed a 2013 Madone 5.9, £5000 bike, but it was heavier than mine and just didn’t feel as nice. Hence to replace it I’d likely have to go up to the 7-series/Emonda SLR (not least because the geometry’s horrible on the cheaper ones), and spend daft amounts of money.

Why can’t the damn frame just break, then I can get a warranty replacement!

luketracey

Oh how I miss my heckler, that thing took so much abuse and just kept comming back for more. Only reason I dont have it now is some ******** stole it from me.

DezB
    Free Member

Reminds me, my brother is still using my 1999 Rocky Mountain. Completely original spec that is (apart from disc brakes). Not riding it much since he got a *spit* 29er, but it’s still alive. Hmm, maybe I could buy it back…

didgerman
    Free Member

92 Cougar here, Royce and dura ace..

StirlingCrispin

I had a steel touring bike (Trek 520) with 65,000 miles on it.

Bit like Trigger’s broom but it still had the original seatpost, bottle cages, and front mech. One bottom braket lasted 42,000 miles!

It did start feeling a bit dead and I stopped using it, so I sold it, sob 🙁

Coyote
    Free Member

My Coyote Dual has been with me for almost 10 years now. Had various configurations and component swaps. Just about to raw the frame as the paints looking a bit tired. Be like having a new one, just with the same geometry as the last. 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

StirlingCrispin – I bought one of those on behalf of a friend recently for £75 on eBay – bargain!! I rode it and really didn’t want to give it to him once I had serviced it – it rode beautifully. You made a big mistake selling!!

AlexSimon

’93 Orange Clockwork.
    Still going strong after 4 incarnations including an xtracycle.
    Still on original BB/mech/cranks/forks/thumbshifters/headset

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

my 1994 ti mojo :

[/url][/img]

njee20
    Free Member

my 1994 ti mojo :

I know of two others still in use, one regularly, both 1996 vintage.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

has had regular abuse 3 times a week from me. makes it great value for money versus smiles for the miles. 🙂

paul4stones

When I got my 2007 Vapour I understood that alloy frames last about ten years. This one has done 5 three peaks races and all associated training and I use it all the time off road. I take minimal care of it, wash it occasionally and replace bits that wear out. It’s also my only road bike and has done a few thousand miles like that too. Keep hoping the frame will break but there’s no sign beyond a few paint chips.

Nobby

My 1982 Peugeot Tour 10 is still being used as a commuter by the guy I sold it to about 18 months ago – still on original running gear too.

Mind you, it did weigh more than my FS.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bikes that just won't die.’ is closed to new replies.