• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by tomj.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bikes stolen in Otley – beware
  • tomj
    Free Member

So came home from a night shift this morning to find the garage door wedged open – and no surprise our bikes had gone. Mine a 2008 Commencal Meta 5.5.2 and MrsJ a Genesis Core. I’ve no expectation whatsoever that anything will be done but just wanted to warn other local riders. Apparently there has been a huge number of thefts recently in the Otley/Menston/Guisley area, especially from sheds and garages. So if local just watch out.

Also am looking at beefing up security when I get the replacements (which won’t be for a whole). I’m not a DIY person at all – where do you go, who do you speak to to sort out ground anchors and better doors etc?? Cheers.

mekon
    Free Member

Just google for a local security / builder bloke.

Are you on strava or mapmyride by chance?

jonathan
    Free Member

A friend highly recommends these guys for chains and anchors http://securityforbikes.com

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomj
    Free Member

Not on Strava or anything like that. Internet forum is the limited of my computer skills. But I suspect they have seen the roof bars fitted to the car (we take the rack off but obviously can’t do anything about the crossbars) or seen me loading them. It’s a bugger really. Thanks for the security tips

toxicsoks
    Free Member

ScotesAreUs have also been about in the Roundhay area, North Leeds, over the last few weeks, too. Same MO. Hey, Christmas is coming….. 👿

3dvgirl
    Free Member

i think its best to keep them indoors.

wilde86
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that. Im in Menston, will keep my eyes open. Often see scrotes around Guiseley on bikes they dont look like they own (not to judge 😉 )

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Drop me an email mate, neighbours were broken into on Fri so I’ve been investing in ground anchors,chains etc and I sell fixings/chemical resins so have hopefully come up with some decent deterrents. Only up the road in Baildon. Emaill address in profile.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Makes you wonder if the North West Leeds/ North Bradford area is being targeted by professional thieves. Countless sheds/garages have been broken in to around my way, and they are literally doing a whole street at a time.

Personally I wouldn’t go over board on expensive locks, get a decent alarm, and slow them down getting in in the first place.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

As per Funkydunc – I’ve spent about £75 on a ground anchor, chain and PIR alarm for the garage. Plus the local PCSO recommended getting one of those ‘rape’ alarms fit to a trip wire where they can’t see, soon as they hear al oud noise they are off – simple but effective.

russianbob
    Free Member

Whereabouts in Otley? I know a good builder, done a ton of work for us. I can email his details if you want.

giddykipper
    Free Member

I was lucky earlier this year, they must have been disturbed, but there was a spate of ‘roof peeling’ in Otley: Peel the roof back, get in and unlock/open the garage door from the inside.

If you can fettle you bike, surely you can make your garage a bit more secure? A power drill and a spanner for some expansion bolts for a ground anchor, plus a pop riveter and some lockable gate bolts sliding into the door frame. Though, sadly in the end all you can do is make it harder. and if the bits are worth it, they will just chop the frame.

Ultimately though, apart from armed response (deeply tempting, possibly not warranted) the best thing you can do is insure it for what it’s worth.

Out of interest has anyone else experienced theft shortly after their cyclescheme bike arrived?

hora
    Free Member

Ach 🙁 forget garage security. Keep the garage for things you wouldnt miss from now on.

allthegear
    Free Member

I once had a bike stolen from the shed in Otley. 🙁

Bikes now live mounted on a pole in the living room 🙂

Rachel

danti

If you’ve got the room at the back of your garage then one of these bike storage lockers are good.

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-storage

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Jeez, sorry to hear so many are getting nicked in Otley. I’ve been here a few years now and never really thought of it as having big problems like that. This proves me wrong though.

Personally, all my bikes live indoors. Underground in the cellar. Whole reason for taking this house.

As far as positive action goes If you must keep it in the garage or shed then I agree with the simple-yet-effective rape alarm/trip wire setup. Spook em and they will probably leg it empty handed.

Feckless **** out on the rob deserve everything they get if you can catch em though. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the bikes. Any colour or other details you can offer Tom?

As an aside, there are loads of car boots around here. I never go but I wonder about bikes turning up at these sales?

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Hey Tom. Posted this on my FB page as a heads up to mates and a non-cycling friend replied that he has seen many “snazzy looking bikes” for sale down Leeds market. If your feeling adventurous you could always have a wander through and see what you find. I would if it had been mine that was pinched.

tomj
    Free Member

Cheers for all the comments and advice. Had a very helpful PCSO round last night. Otley is v low for crime but a recent spate of bike thefts here and in neighbouring areas. Almost certainally groups from elsewhere and it’s b unlikely the bikes would turn up anywhere local. The current vogue is to strip them of parts then sell far away, often in Europe. So will keep eyes peeled on market and car boot sales, but chances of seeing them again virtually zero.

I am going to sort out a ground anchor – thanks for the tips, I thought it was a major construction job, not something I could do! I’ll also sort out the attack alarm tip. At the moment we have a spare room awaiting redecoration so when I get a replacement it can stay there for the winter, but not a long term solution.

Just for the records the bikes were a black Commencal Meta 5.5.2 – 2008. Fox shock and fork, shimano SLX and avid juicy brakes and a 2011 Genesis Core, silver, with rock shock fork and a rack on the back for a child seat.

Cheers

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bikes stolen in Otley – beware’ is closed to new replies.