Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Bikes Stolen from House whilst we are in – Bristol Again
  • excitable1
    Free Member

Here’s one of the Fookers from about 12 months ago. This was 11:00pm on a Friday night when my daughter was up watching TV on her own. If the door wasn’t locked I dread to think what he would have done.

richc
    Free Member

I got an eyespy247 camera for my house, which I would highly recommend

Taz

Hi All

Appreciate the comments & feedback. Been away all morning and then with CSI, Insurance etc hence no reply

This was in the Westbury Park Area just off the Downs

We usually lock the back door even when in but we don’t make an absolute point of it. We will now.

I have no doubt this was targeted bike theft. There was other stuff they could have grabbed but chose not to. I ride locally a lot. I don’t know if I have been followed home but it is certainly a probability. They knew what they wanted and where I kept it. I think the Hummer was a ‘bonus’

I have pics of the Nicolai with BOS forks that I can dig out(Marzocchi’s are only about 2 weeks old). Not sure if I have a recent Hummer pic.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

Surely this is something we should be pestering our new Police Commissioner about. Online petition plus Friday lunchtime 2 wheeled protest outside the cop shop?

Philby

Sorry to hear of your loss – will keep a look out in Redland area.

Interesting piece on BBC Points West this lunchtime about George Ferguson wanting to make Bristol even more of a cycling city – might be a good start if the powers that be start taking bike theft as seriously as they do other crimes. Perhaps Bristols’ cyclists should be getting a petition together to present to George and Sue Mountstevens (Police Commissioner) about increasing police activity in identifying and punishing the culprits.

2orangey4crows

richc – ha! would’ve loved to have seen the guys face as your dog/horse ran towards him!

Must admit, I always check to see if I’m being followed back from A/C or Leigh woods these days. I live a fair way away so it’s pretty easy (I think) to notice anything odd.

The time my bikes got nicked was about a week after builders had been to the property. I was pretty convinced they must have let someone know where/how the bikes were kept considering they’d been fine for 12 months before that. Felt like a bit of a coincidence to me.

MrAgreeable

might be a good start if the powers that be start taking bike theft as seriously as they do other crimes.

What makes you think they don’t?

Last time I spoke to the police about this was after last year’s wave of follow-home thefts from Leigh Woods and Ashton Court. They said that they were treating it as a priority and, given that a number of people subsequently mentioned a police presence at the trails, I believe them.

It’s easy to lash out at the police but they are very much restricted by what the CPS can do to secure prosecutions and convictions, falling budgets, and all the other stuff that they have to deal with.

generalp
    Free Member

Now feeling incredibly uneasy. I cycled back last night from a lap of Ashton and Leigh Woods. Only to pass a fairly out of place character about a quarter mile from home. Only to stop say good bye to a mate and then complete the run home. As i was wheeling the back in aforementioned scally sidles up on his bike. stops at a house on the opposite side of the road and plays with his phone, doesn’t knock or go to the door. Then walks off on the phone.. Now going to be wondering about my bike whenever i hear a noise… It’s such a shame you can’t even own a bike keep it in your house without worrying. A damning indictment of the society we live in.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

Take a photo next time. This happened to me too when I lived in Clifton. Young scamp on a Raleigh activator passed me in the opposite direction. 2 minutes later with the bike leant up against the house, I spot him again. He moved off, only to linger at the top of the road. Nasty feeling, nothing came of it however thank goodness

Back to the thread: OP, I’ll keep me eyes peeled.

Taz

Excitable 1 – What system is that?

Had a look at the Eyespye 247 just now. May be what I need.

I do wonder if I will end up seeing a few unwelcome visitors in my garden overnight

unklehomered
    Free Member

Speculation aside, it’s really common for thieves to come back for seconds, usually a few months down the line when they know you’ve got your insurance replacements.

Time to start keeping a live angry tiger in that cupboard.

generalp
    Free Member

also keep an eye on gumtree and ebay. a friend had a his Five stolen a few months back and has seen it appear for sale on various ebay listings. police raided two properties but sadly didn’t recover the bike, but did get the prick who lived there for other offences.

chakaping
    Free Member

might be a good start if the powers that be start taking bike theft as seriously as they do other crimes.

What makes you think they don’t?

I believe the police are instructed to prioritise burglaries from dwellings – as opposed to garages and sheds.

That’s what I was told when my garage was burgled anyway.

So the OP here should be top prioity. There’s probably a task force being put together right now.

ransos
    Free Member

Also worth notifying all the Crack Converters type places around town too – East St in Bedminster has a couple, I work near there so when I pop to the post in a bit, will have a sneaky look. Saw a Scott Genius in there a couple of years ago for £700, so on that assumption, someone sold it to them for £400 tops. I reported it but not sure the police ever did anything about it……

A friend of mine got her stolen bike back from that store – they were actually really good about it, giving details to the police etc.

motozulu
    Free Member

Tell you what – I’m bloody glad I live where I do. As I said maybe I am lulled into a sense of security knowing there are 4 adult male family members who live in my house so the girls have someone about at any particular time of the day – might be different if it was just me and the Mrs and daughter.

Someone raised a very good point too about this shoite getting nasty – ask yourself – if you DID catch someone in your house and you got the upper hand – at what point would self defence end and sheer rage take over.

I’m not sure I could stop myself.

hels
    Free Member

I always double lock the door when I am in, and put the chain up, and never answer the door unless I know the person.

But then I live alone, and downstairs from a psychopath.

Sorry to hear about your bikes, that gives me the chills to think that somebody could be in the house when you are there !

motozulu
    Free Member

But then I live alone, and downstairs from a psychopath.

Thought about moving? 😯

MrAgreeable

Taz, I’m kind of assuming you’re on this already, but if you’ve got any pictures of your bikes then email them to me at stolenbristolbikes@gmail.com and I’ll put them up on the blog.

project
    Free Member

I’ve got to ask here – do we all really lock the doors of the house when we are in?!

I don’t. As a Dad with 3 kids we always thought it safer to have the doors unlocked in case of fires etc (while we are in and up and about obviously). Now the kids are grown up – 2 strapping lads amongst em – it would’nt occur to us that anyone would try and walk in while we are all around.

I fit locks and the number of people who have no descent 5 lever mortice dead or sash lock on the front and rear doors is staggering, some just rely on a cheap rim cylinder lock, think yale type lock with small screws and glazed pannels next to it.Remember a yale type lock can be opened from the inside so once theyre in , they have an easy escape route.

Finally if they do get in,fear from both sides will cause a laock of rational thought, if they have a crowbar or screwdiver in their hand sthats what theyre going to use against you, while you may just have a remote control off the tv.

Stop them getting is best.

While when you go to the toilet or bathroom there is usaully a mortice lock or a descent bolt.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as a Tracker system for bikes like with cars? Surely a transmitter of sorts down the seat tube can’t be beyond the realms of possibilities these days?

*runs off to source chinese manufacturer and nerdy app developer

hels
    Free Member

Yes I have thought of moving, but when I came here I had moved 6 times in 3 years and wanted to settle, and the cat likes it here. And he will die eventually, he eats nails for dinner. And I don’t like giving in to bullies.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

the cat likes it here. And he will die eventually, he eats nails for dinner

…3, 2, 1 . . . .aaaaand your back in the room . . .

hels
    Free Member

That’s the neighbour, not the Cat ! Eating nails is the only reason I can think of for a person to be so grumpy and unpleasant ! And the only thing he ever puts in the shared recycling bin is boxes for nails. No food containers, ever. I rest my case.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

…ha ha, granted, I should have stopped at the full stop

crazy-legs

A student place I lived in for a year got done the day after a “handyman” had been round to do our garden.

Fairly convinced it was him who came back that night and made off with the TV, video, a load of CDs and a camera. Fortunately, we were all in (asleep) so he only got to the living room, all of my stuff including my bike was upstairs in my bedroom.

And he did do a very good job on the garden, the edges were very neat… 😉

But yours definitely sounds targeted and professional – not many opportunists will risk going into an occupied house but if someone knows what they want and where it is, they can be in and out in seconds.

Taz

Thanks Ant – emailed you

hora
    Free Member

The guy who did my (very good) tilling. …offered me two new Orange bikes ‘cheap’.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Someone recently said they used a small keyring style rape alarm when their bike was in the garage, fairly discreet and hard to spot if you’re a thief in a rush. They grab the bike not knowing the alarm is attached to it, the pin comes out as its wrapped around something else and the alarm goes off. Might put them off if it’s still locked or they don’t fancy riding away with an alarm going off. From memory the actual alarm bit was under the seat. There are loads on ebay like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Personal-Anti-Attack-Anti-rape-saftey-Security-Alarm-night-/330720627954?pt=UK_Safety_Alarms&hash=item4d007c4cf2 just replace the straps with fishing line to make it harder to spot

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I had 2 bikes stolen a few years ago from a locked garage. I now keep my bikes in a locked steel shed in a locked garage. The bikes are all locked together by a huge chain which is then secured to a ground anchor. The garage is alarmed too.

You can never be too careful.

somafunk

Christ that bad, folk coming into your house when you’re at home to nick your bikes – sorry to hear that taz, hope your insurance will sort you out quick and without any hassle.

I’d be ok wi breaking their fingers followed by wrists, i doubt they’d be up for stealing very much wi their hands in a cast.

excitable1
    Free Member

Tax, it’s an Axis Camera Station. They also have a remote server so that you can plug into your camera and live view whilst you’re away from home or in another room !

woody74

imnotamused – yes there is the Bikespy which is a GPS tracker. Just got one that I am going to test.

fibre
    Free Member

That’s horrible Taz, really hope you get them back. The invasion of your space is bad enough let alone getting your prized possessions taken :(. I think a bike security thread would be a good idea, targeted bike theft seems to be on the up all the time so a one stop resource would be helpful.

I’ve got mine locked with Gold standard heavy duty chains, but i’m looking to go a bit further.

I’m going to get an auto dial alarm, which as well as being noisy as **** will ring any telephone numbers stored in it. I’m also going to use a cable alarm, which if cut or tampered with will go off.

If someone gets to the bike they will first be deafened, I’ll get a phone call to say so, they will have to cut a heavy duty gold standard chain as well as trying to get away with the bike (not a quick job).

excitable1
    Free Member

Two more images. These are from 2 weeks ago. Not known locally to the police. They think they are a gang from Manchester or Liverpool. They took two cars and carried out several ‘while your in’ raids.

In the first image the scum bag looks at the camera after trying the car door then says to his mate ‘camera’, who then promptly looks up at the camera himself. Dosey **** !

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Bikes Stolen from House whilst we are in – Bristol Again’ is closed to new replies.