Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • bikes stolen – bristol
  • kimbers

harry too

id definately contact your mp and whatever website u can find about the first bike city

MrAgreeable

Harry Too,

I went along to a steering group meeting for cycle city (with the idea of trying to blag some money for the trail maintenance group I run). A chap there asked quite a sensible question about security, and whether any of the cycling city money was going to be used for it, but sadly he got the brush-off. I think the police did have a specific officer working on the cycle theft issue a while back, but sadly I’ve forgotten his name.

Bozza
    Free Member

Will keep a look out when on my travels.

Burglary in general in Bristol is a massive issue. Stolen bikes are part of it. Catching them is one thing, but getting the courts to lock them up is anyother. 20% of offenders commit 80% of the crime.

5milallenkey
    Free Member

Sorry to hear of yet another Bristol bike theft.
    Just to clear up one thing though – Bristol Bike Workshop doesn’t buy second hand bikes unless a receipt from the original place of purchase can be produced. They will also keep a look out for stolen stuff if you take in a description.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Member

Mike – 5 attempts!!

Yep.

5 attempts in 8 weeks, I’d be tempted to lay in wait for the **** [:twisted:]

Make that 6 attempts now, they came back on Friday night, popped one of the latches and tried to bend the door, but again thanks to my security measures they failed.

Losers.

MrAgreeable

Just a thought Mike….

Maybe it’s time to move out of Bradley Stoke? 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Maybe it’s time to move out of Bradley Stoke?

*waits for ‘its not Bradley Stoke’ blah blah blah*

richc
    Free Member

I’ve had some success using this form, and the duty officer got back to me within 48 hours and was surprising helpful and efficient.

https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/LocalPages/PersonContact.aspx?pid=1677&lid=69&t=3

Mind you, might not be the right form for your area.

MrNutt
    Free Member

six attempts!! I’d be waiting for the **** and beat seven shades out of them!!

richc
    Free Member

You thought about getting one of these?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=226705

As the Police might be able to recognize them and arrest them, as at 6 times its either that or move.

Mind you if you live in Sadly Broke or Little Stoke you are pretty **** as it isn’t far for the gyppos to commute to *work*.

TheSanityAssassin

How much is it all costing in garage doors though?

MrAgreeable

I think some of us need to go along to our local PACT meeting and get the police to set a target for reduction of cycle theft.

http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/LocalPages/SSN/PACT.aspx

sharki
    Free Member

I think i had my bike nicked today, i went to ashton court with a lovely clean bike, all bar the dust i got on it from riding the tox yesterday, then when i got back to the car at the bridge my bike was replaced by a gopping mud covered thing, i thought the worst till i took it home and cleaned it….Pheww!

shit to here all these stories of theft, is it just Bristol or are most shitys the same?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The Sanity Assassin – Member

How much is it all costing in garage doors though?

£800 so far, I have measures in place to prevent further damage to the current door.

I’m dealing with bored kids, if they were pros they’d know how to get in in seconds, they appear to be leaving it 1 to 2 weeks between attacks hoping I drop my guard, one thing we definitely know is that at the moment they have no access to burglary tools as there are no markings on the door sills from any of the attacks, they’ll get bored or get caught – they will not get my bikes.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

shit to here all these stories of theft, is it just Bristol or are most shitys the same?

I can’t comment on other cities, but IMO the problem we have in Bristol is that for every nice area we have there is always a council estate / shit hole in the vicinity of it, I’m not saying that everyone who lives on a council estate is a thief, but they are breeding grounds for the little ****.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Anybody asked for a ‘Freedom of Information’ request for cycle theft / burglary and police responses / success?

stick_man

From the local PACT (Partners and Communities Together)

http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/LocalPages/BeatDetails.aspx?BeatID=247

Current public priorities
    Agreed 13th February 2009

1. Speeding and traffic issues.
    2. Shoplifting.
    3. Burglaries.

Burglaries/Shed breaks
    We are having a rise in theft of bikes from sheds, and cold callers. We are doing the following:
    1. Increasing patrols, both plain clothes and high visibility, targeting the areas that have been affected.

2. Highlighting the incidents to the response units and requested when possible to target patrol these areas.

3. Liaising with the police intelligence unit to identify any persons who have committed these crimes and who may have previous for this type of crime.

4. Checking all door to door sales persons who we stop or are bought to our attention.

5. Utilising the police bobby van to visit and advise the more vulnerable and elderly in our communities and update their security where possible

MrAgreeable

The PACT targets for my area are all to do with parking and drug dealing.

There’s a very high concentration of nice bikes in Bristol, and while you get your usual opportunists I think a lot of theft-to-order goes on too. We’re still third in the bike theft stats behind London and Kingston-on-Thames, although that ain’t saying much.

sharki
    Free Member

KINGTUT

I can’t comment on other cities, but IMO the problem we have in Bristol is that for every nice area we have there is always a council estate / shit hole in the vicinity of it, I’m not saying that everyone who lives on a council estate is a thief, but they are breeding grounds for the little ****.

Unfortunaltely all new build estates MUST have a certain percentage of houses/homes as housing association or the like, it’s meant to help them fit in and not feel segregated(sp?).

There really needs to be a cull on the scurge of society, with increased unemployement there’s no room for criminals, wasters and benifit cheats.

Vote for me and i’ll bring back public execution, public humiliation
    and any other means to get the goverment to MTFU and not help these people get away with the way they choose to live.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Unfortunaltely all new build estates MUST have a certain percentage of houses/homes as housing association or the like, it’s meant to help them fit in and not feel segregated(sp?).

Exactly why I moved from Bradley Stoke, I still moved to a new build but it it isn’t on an estate it is in fact well tucked away which was one of the reasons we chose it, however we are not far from two large council areas and that is where these **** are coming from.

sharki
    Free Member

Want me to stake it out and wait for their return?

I’ve got nothing better to do with my evenings, just stock me up with tea and cakes and i’ll av ’em i will.

Don’t worry, i’ll not harm them, i’ll just hold them till you come down to rape them with a pinapple.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Sounds like a plan.

🙂

acjim
    Free Member

The thing is with Bristol you only have to walk around on a Saturday or Sunday and the amount of ££ bikes being ridden and on the back of cars is unlike any other city I’ve been too. Combine this with some seriously deprived communities, big drug problems (normal city issues basically) and you’ve got a high end bike theft issue.

Perhaps Class A drugs on prescription are the answer?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – Member

The PACT targets for my area are all to do with parking and drug dealing.

There’s a very high concentration of nice bikes in Bristol, and while you get your usual opportunists I think a lot of theft-to-order goes on too. We’re still third in the bike theft stats behind London and Kingston-on-Thames, although that ain’t saying much.

third by volume or by amount of thefts/breakins per person/household?

easygroove
    Free Member

I lived in St Weirdburgs, St Pauls and Montpelier for 15yrs and never had a problem w my various MTB’s and BMX stored in sheds. Moved to Sydney 3 years ago, miss the trails but not the pikies, seems like they are still causing much annoyance.

MrAgreeable

third by volume or by amount of thefts/breakins per person/household?

I have no idea to be honest, and I suspect those stats are a couple of years out of date.

FuzzyWuzzy

Still plenty of room in Australia to ship people off to :p

It does suck there’s virtually nothing you can do apart from beef up security but even then the scrotes can still cause a lot of damage even if they don’t get the bikes (and the damage is probably less than your excess). On the security camera side I doubt it would actually help much (in terms of getting a conviction, might help as a deterrent but then it would need to be visible and would probably get nicked :p ).

theflatboy
    Free Member

the other problem with things like cameras is that such things draw a lot of attention to the value of stuff being kept somewhere. by the sounds of things they’re targetting deliberately identified locations, though, i suppose.

Driller
    Free Member

It’s real bad to hear about all this bike theft in and around Bristol.

My partner lives just outside Clevedon and we lost a brand new Heckler and a Marin hardtail late last year, no joy whatsoever from the Police. We had thought there might be some chance after they asked for pictures of the bikes, I assumed that if they wanted pictures it was because they expected to see them again. Not so it seems.

We’ve upped the security etc, but for all of those of you who are reassuring yourself that you live in a well tucked away place, trust me, it doesn’t make any difference. We hadn’t been out riding, and no-one follwed me there with the bikes on the car, call me suspicious but I always check.

Bike carriers left on the roof of the car were the give away. I won’t be making that mistake again! Even though the car was parked in a small cul-de-sac, behind a big hedge, definitely not visible from the road. These aren’t opportunist theives, they know what they’re doing and they’re going out there looking.

If people were losing thousands of pounds worth of jewelery or electrical goods in burglaries then I’m sure the Police would take it more seriously, it just seems like once the ‘bike nicked from shed/garage’ box gets ticked, it disappears into the petty crime section and doesn’t get any serious action.

All these bikes end up somewhere!

harrytoo
    Free Member

I wrote to the majority of North Bristol Councillors and my North Bristol MP at the weekend linking a number of threads from this and other forums asking what is their current stratagy for dealing with this problem and how high is it on their agenda.

I will report back on the replies at a later date.

At the moment I just seem to be getting the normal fob offs but have raised some interest with a couple of councillors.

Watch this space.

harrytoo
    Free Member

On another note, North Bristol Fat Chav has obviously become aware of his new media status and has changed bikes again,

He can now be seen on a silver Giant Hardtail with a right old mash of parts on it.

Anyone missing one?

MrAgreeable

Keep at it Harry, I think if enough of us start bothering them they’ll have to do something.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘bikes stolen – bristol’ is closed to new replies.