Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bikes on trains – pushing the restrictions?
  • ThePinkster

4 of us are due to make the journey on a train on a weekday afternoon from Crewe to Liverpool in a couple of weeks time.

The details on National Rail Enquiries says there is a restriction of 2 bikes per train.

Is trying to get 4 bikes on board likely to be an issue outside of rush hour or are we going to have to travel on 2 trains?

This is only part of our journey but the other trains have greater capacity for bikes but travelling on 2 trains is going to make the logistics a bit more challenging.

Why can’t they have guards vans any more? 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends how busy the train is and what type of train I guess.

It probably means theres 2 bike spaces, but I take my bike on trains in/around Reading all the time and they have no bike spaces, just wheel them in/out the carriages. Obviously that doesn’t work if it’s a ‘intercity’ style train with airplane style seating, small vestibules and doors at the end of carriages rather than local trains.

Liverpool – Crew must be a busy route, could you not split up and get a train 10 minutes later? Or a minibus/taxi might even be cheaper than 4x train tickets.

plyphon
    Free Member

Take the wheels off of two of them.

1 mate carries 4 wheels.

The other carries 2 frames.

What bikes mate? I’ve just got some wheels here.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

4 of you, have you thought about hiring a van if one of you has a license?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

It all depends. I’ve got on trains that have been full of bikes and no-one has cared or tried to stop us.

It depends on the operator, the staff on duty and whether there’s already two buggies and a suitcase in the luggage area.

I’d give it a try. Be prepared for two of you to have to get the next train.

ThePinkster

Thought about hiring a van, yes but the one way excess is phenomenal, even for hire companies that claim not to have one.

It’s 72 quid for all 4 of us on the train, no idea how much a taxi (assuming one can carry all our touring gear and bikes) would be and it kind of detracts from our original challenge, but could try that.

Although if we’re going to do that I could just ask Mrs. Pinkster to drive us up.

Would prefer the train though.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

It may not fit in with your plans, but ride it? 40ish miles and a nice trip on the Birkenhead ferry 🙂

br
    Free Member

Although if we’re going to do that I could just ask Mrs. Pinkster to drive us up.

Sorted, do this.

project
    Free Member

London Midland run trains between Crewe and liverpool, also arriva trains , between crewe and chester then merseyrail to liverpool, not had problems with merseyrail or LM.

spxxky
    Free Member

UK is shite for bikes on trains… just came back from Switzerland where there is plenty of room for bikes on trains, not to mention bike friendly car drivers and cool cycling infrastructure

tthew

The guards on the London Midland trains are pretty relaxed with cyclists IME, in fact I’ve never been turfed off a train in the north west with a bike even when there were lots more than 2 already on.

I got on that train with a bike once when there wasn’t even standing room for passengers, and there was no argument, (whole network was up **** creek). I’d certainly risk it at quiet times.

sheeps

I’ve had a couple of experiences recently.. 1 guard who wasn’t bothered as long as the bikes were stacked so we didn’t cause an obstruction (nice guard) and a jobsworth who insisted on ‘only 2 bikes allowed’. We dismantled 2 of them and stuffed the frames in a blue ikea bag and carried the wheels… No bikes here mister, just parts! (nasty guard)

molgrips
    Free Member

We used to carry a sheet, some rope and a few toe straps. Remove wheels, slam seat, remove bars, use toe straps to lash them all together firmly. Then lay on sheet, wrap it up and use the rope to tie it all up.

Fits in the luggage space, and is no longer a bike. Only takes a few mins when you are practised.

ThePinkster

Cheers for the comments folks, think We’ll risk it. 🙂

Blackflag
    Free Member

I do that journey a fair bit. As long as you avoid Virgin trains you should be OK.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bikes on trains – pushing the restrictions?’ is closed to new replies.