Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bikes on trains Edinburgh to Newcastle
  • righog
    Free Member

Anybody done this ?

Was thinking of doing the Coast and castles before the weather gets too bad.

The website seemed quite helpful, explained about booking the bike on the train etc.

East Coats trains

If anyone has done it recently, I still have a couple of questions.

1. I clicked through the booking screens on the website that I wanted to travel with a bike. But no conformation of this this when I went to pay, is this normal

2. Where do the bikes go on the train, so I can book a seat as close as possible ( ie not 3 carriages away ), was thinking of first class as its quite cheap at the time and date of my travel.

Cheers

hot_fiat

The bikes go in the luggage van /DVT at the leading end of the train beyond first class. You need to find the guard or someone with a carriage key to let you in (so its locked away during the journey). The staff are pretty good and will recognise you and your bike.

When booking there used to be an options on the seat reservation page where you could tell it you wanted to add a bike reservation. Failing that make the booking, call 0800225225 and ask to add the bike on (for free?)

righog
    Free Member

Brilliant thanks hot fiat 🙂

I did not expect a reply so quick at this time.

hot_fiat

No worries. We have a new baby at home so normal hours are out the window.

Oh and that’s the phone number for British gypsum which is not much use to you. Try 08457225225

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Worked fine for me in the past. But wheever I’ve booked my bike on I’ve always done it at the station and got 2 tickets for the bike. One that I kept and one that the guard put btwn the spokes to identify the bike.

I did coast and castle last year. Loved it. South to North defo the way to go. We had overnights at Bamburgh and Melrose – that worked well.

righog
    Free Member

Cheers all

Mike why is South to North better ? was originally thinking I would do it that way, but now thinking North to South better.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bikes on trains Edinburgh to Newcastle’ is closed to new replies.