• This topic has 50 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Bikes on the car in Glasgow. Safe?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

At the moment no, in Jakarta they are about ready to help you piss…

molgrips
    Free Member

When I cleaned my bike in the shower it was after a couple of months riding with wet lube in dusty conditions, and it was covered in thick black gunge. Made a hell of a mess of the bathroom, I spent longer cleaning it and myself than I did the bike, to avoid getting some sort of levy applied to my bill.

br
    Free Member

I’m slightly confused that you are staying in a hotel, but the bikes are on the outside on the van – what’s in the van that you can’t just put the bikes inside it?

FWIW I’ve stayed in hotels/B&B’s etc and left the bikes on the rack, secured with locks and cables – usually parked next to a lamppost or the like, and put the cable around.

LMT
    Free Member

Never leave the bikes unattended, did the stupid thing in Fort William a few years back, left the bikes on the roof of the car d-locked, cabled etc…came back to see the car parked 3 up from mine, bike racks ripped off the car bikes gone, luckily mine still there but made me thing twice.

Now whenever we travel someone stays with the car, quick service stop one goes for coffees or food while other stays with the car and keeps an eye on the bike. Its surprised me the amount of people that stop and look at them then move on when they realise me or my OH are sat in the car watching.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I would say majority of theft is opportunist. So, leave your bikes unattended and the longer they’re left the chance increases that a thief will come by and take the opportunity to have them…

hora
    Free Member

Apologies again. I disagree about ‘the longer’ timescale. Thieves are very opportunistic and something like a big shiny bike with a known logo in large letters across its downtube is an immediate draw. It wont take long as they are everywhere in major cities and honey spots casually on the lookout.

Again Ive no professional experience just observation and growing up surrounded by a fair few back in Huddersfield. Some of them you could class as workaholics in a theft sense. The authorities would probably refer to them as prolific.

All IMO but as I said earlier I wouldnt lock any valuable bike to street furniture or lock n leave a bike on a bike rack out of eyeshot for even 10secs.

hora
    Free Member

They seem to be able to still print money at city

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

You could lock the bikes in the bike racks inside Glasgow Central, which is slightly less a bad idea than locking them to the car roof.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I take it their printings not very good then?

That’s the first thing I noticed too! Very Top Gear-esque.

FOG

When I booked at the Premier in Inverness, I asked about bike storage and was told to put them in the room. The receptionist said she would make sure we had a ground floor room to make things easier. When we arrived to take up the booking a few months later, I wondered if anybody would have remembered this promise but I was being too cynical, we were given a room near but not too near to the car park door.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Bikes on the car in Glasgow. Safe?’ is closed to new replies.