Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bikes on Ryanair
  • slowuphill
    Free Member

I am looking at a weekend in Austria and would like to take my bike rather that hiring one. Any one had any experiences of Ryanair. is is really £40 each way??

tragically1969
    Free Member

I wouldnt even bother thinking about using them to fly with anything other than hand luggage, i had a total nightmare last time i flew with them and haven't used them since…..

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

They will screw you for every penny they can. Can you find another carrier?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I got on fine Prestwick to Girona in 2006 and also to St Etienne in 2002 (didn't use a bag on the latter).

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

tragically1969 – Member
    I wouldnt even bother thinking about using them to fly with anything other than hand luggage, i had a total nightmare last time i flew with them and haven't used them since…..

ChunkyMTB – Member
    They will screw you for every penny they can. Can you find another carrier?

+1 for both the above. And you won't even find anyone to complain to if your bike gets damaged, let alone someone who will sort it

cynic-al
    Free Member

My bike had minor damage and I was recompensed fine.

mrmojo
    Free Member

I have taken by bike on a Ryanair flights a few times now. Never had any issues .. but I always use a bikebag and use bubble wrap round my frame.

tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

I've taken my bike on Ryanair flights quite a few times now. despite them getting more expensive every time (it really isn't a budget airline anymore) and in general hating the cheapo flair and the tiny seats, my bike was always fine and transport never a problem.
    i always use a cardboard box that i scheme from halfords, make sure rear derailleur isn't in an uncomfy position once the bike's in and use rolls of duct tape as spacers between the box and the brake discs. chuck all your bike clothes in a bag into the box too, but i think the weight limit is 15kg now for bike boxes which doesnt give you a lot of leeway really.

have also tried lufthansa and can recommend them, bike usually flies for free there, you actually have legroom, and going to austria with them you should have a couple of destination airports to choose from (may have to do a topover though).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bikes on Ryanair’ is closed to new replies.