Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bikes on Planes?
  • rossp
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m doing a season in Morzine this summer, and want to take 3 bikes out with me (road, DH and XC), however I am struggling to find an airline that will allow me to take more than 2 bikes on a plane, and posting them seems VERY expensive.

So, has anyone done this before? If so who with?

Or, if anyone is going out for a season and has a spare space in a car, or is going out 20th(ish) june, or returning after the 2nd September that would be great!

Thanks

geetee1972
    Free Member

Three bikes? Is it possible to buy additional luggage allowance by just buying a second ticket?

And I think you’ll need more than a spare space in someone’s car if you’ve got three bikes!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

easy jet allows extra sports bags?

rossp
    Free Member

Easy jet only allow 1 extra bike to be added, have emailed them to see if you are allowed any more

kayak23

Think you’d have to post them to an address or pay cargo..

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

How big is your bike bag? Could you not squeeze your road bike in alongside your xc bike for example,… just a thought?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Could you not squeeze your road bike in alongside your xc bike for example

<shudders at the thought of the damage that would cause>

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Should be that expensive to post one to France? Cheaper than Air freight prices.

timnwild

Hire a car and drive – seriously. No checkin, no luggage handling nightmares, and no postage. I’m taking just one bike next week, and the LBS folks were telling me that when they do builds for non-UK customers, they fly them out personally cos it’s cheaper than post.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

<shudders at the thought of the damage that would cause>

If packed and stripped correctly, i think it would work, . .if the bag is a bigun

asterix
    Free Member

Buy another ticket and then I could come with you with one of the bikes as my luggage 😆

Milkie
    Free Member

Posting will be expensive, not due to weight but due to the volume. To get the best price, break the bikes down and pack them in the smallest box possible. Then shop around for prices, DHL Economy (5 days) seem to be good at the moment.

If you have a car, drive. Or convince a friend to drive you, and treat them to a long weekend break.

andrewh
    Free Member

+1 for driving.
    And then you will have a car to use there too, far, far more simple.
    If you can’t take your own car or have one there for whatever reason buy the cheapest one in your local paper and scrap it when you arrive.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I am willing to bet that while he has three bikes, he doesn’t own a car 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bikes on Planes?’ is closed to new replies.