Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bikes on Emirates
  • Kahurangi

Who’s flown their bikes with Emirates this year?

Emirates updated their policy for tickets effective Nov 2014 so I wanted to check what have been people’s experiences since then?

from
    http://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/214958/baggage-allowances-for-sports-equipment

All sporting equipment including golf equipment, bicycles and ski equipment
    Emirates will accept sporting equipment as checked baggage and part of your standard baggage allowance.

simple, but

For tickets issued on or after 15th November 2014
    Total dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece must not exceed 150cm (59 inches). Customers with individual items exceeding above dimensions up to 300cm (118 inches) will be charged an additional fee

a bike in a bag will be way over 150 cm…

on this thread, keppoch says

I spoke to them about the bike and luggage. You get a total allowance of 300cm dimensions and 30kg.

Is there anything definitive written down anywhere? Do you have to phone them to get clarification of a bike/sporting equipment being special? I am of course, concerned about verbal instructions being non-binding when you are presented at a check-in desk and a bill of $175 being presented….

Cheers

mattyfez

It says each piece.. Take the wheels off?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Ive flown many times with them and again will be at Xmas to Cape Town, I take bike bag Evoc its fine. Under 30kg with all my gear and I have 35lt rucksack for carry on.

In my experience Ive yet to see anyone measure a bike, weigh it yes.

Excellent company I always use them, they seem super helpful

I flew to India last Xmas with them

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m at Heathrow at the moment.
    Just spoke to a check-in manager from Emirates and she told me that they don’t measure bike bags/boxes, just weigh them. As long as it’s under the 30kg weight limit then it’ll be ok.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most airlines have that, doesn’t get measured just taken to oversized.

Kahurangi

Thanks all, sounds good enough for me. Off to India in fact….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bikes on Emirates’ is closed to new replies.