Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bikes on buses/coaches
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone know if they let you put your bike (even in a bag) on a bus?

Specifically Edinburgh <-> Aviemore.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

out of bag no

in bag is driver’s discretion IIRC. if it has lockers underneath then it’s again down to the driver.

get the train!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Train is 5 x the cost.

peterfile
    Free Member

depends on how busy the bus is and whether the driver is in a good mood. Give them a call to see if it’s even possible.

4 of us were catching the train to Ilkley with the bikes a few weeks ago so we could have a drink or 5 once we were done for the day.

Trains were cancelled and we had to get a bus replacement. After a bit of pleading the driver let us take our bikes on the bus. When i say on the bus, I mean actually ON the bus! There was no storage so we crammed the bikes into the wheelchair spot. Pretty good of him to let us do that.

I think the others had some trouble getting back though since the bikes were dirty. (Un)fortunatley I didn’t have to worry about that since I had to go to hospital instead of home 😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yup, but you can take your bike!

if it’s national express type coach then you could ask them. not going to be full of skis this time of year

cynic-al
    Free Member

You wanna sponsor my train ticket then ❓

Doug
    Free Member

Put it in a hockey bag then it’s just luggage 😉

When I’m doing rail replacement I will take no more than two unbagged clean bikes with wheels off if I’m pretty sure I won’t get too busy and on the understanding that they will need moving if a wheelchair user boards further down the line. Wheels off so they don’t fall over and can be easily repositioned between seats. Dirty bikes leave you open to all sorts of laundry claims. Bagged bikes are fine as long as the walkway and exits remain clear.

Won’t take them at all on urban service routes but I will take them bagged on the longer Trawscambria service.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

😆

just got peterborough to rogart and from inverness back to peterborough for £150 for two people including bikes but i guess that doesn’t help. the edinburgh to inverness leg was only £10.50 per person 1 way

crazy-legs

I used to do London – Cardiff on the coach regularly with a bagged bike. Most of the time they were fine with it, occasionally an arsey driver would tell you to wait until everyone else had loaded their luggage then it would go on “if there was space”.

It always went on though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My local bus company, the “best in the UK” apparently, recently told me they would not take bikes, bike frames, or ski eqpt. on board due to health and safety.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Coaches I’ve never had a problem with, just turn up with a clean bike.

Busses wont take them

cynic-al
    Free Member

I found train tickets for £30 on different days which will do fine, thanks for talking sense, MrMW.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you need to call scotrail to reserve your bike space, their number is on the webpage, it’s customer services number not tickets and don’t choose the buy tickets option because that just puts you through to natinal rail enquiries who will give you the number you just called for scotrail

cynic-al
    Free Member

I just go to Waverley station and sort it all there ta, tourist season not quite in full swing so queue should be <30m.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bikes on buses/coaches’ is closed to new replies.