Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • bikes not welcome in the wyre forest
  • rOcKeTdOg

Just back from a very wet and muddy ride in the Wyre, we were passed by 2 landrovers and the lead one stopped and a guy introduced himself as the head ranger and asked if we knew that at this time there were no bridleways in the forest and so bikes were not welcome, he added that this time he wouldn't ask us to leave, I didn't want to argue with the chap so just went along with what he said and then carried on riding, the 4x4s the then parked by the start of "camber"
    There is a Sustrans route through the forest so no bikes would make that hard to access

So regular riders be aware you might be challenged over your right to be there

Oh and it was a great ride, I fell off 3 times!

z1ppy

well it's alway been the case that "bikes were not welcome", but that not the same as "not allowed". Hardly likely they'll ever be able to stop ppl though is it?
    It's when they physically start trying to block routes that I'll become concerned.

Pook

but landys are fine?

wwaswas

if you own the land/work for the land owner then you can do what you like, pretty much.

z1ppy

there are lots of fireroads around the forest for landy's and for riders who want an uncomplicated life, it the proper off-road stuff they want to discourage… I've never seen a landy out in the depths of the forest (off-[fire]road)

scu98rkr
    Free Member

were no bridleways in the forest

just looked at a map and there do appear to be bridleways in the west of the forest ?

bonesetter
    Free Member

You always get ****ts of jobsworths, and being a very important and powerful ranger is one group who don't escape the affliction. They sometimes need continued professional development lessons on where are and even what is a bridle path. Oh, they don't do CPD do they?

Mounty_73

I guess this happens every now and again, I have been riding in there since I was a kid and no one has ever stopped me or said otherwise…

Sh*t….I hope I dont have to get a road bike ! 😉

nunuboogie
    Free Member

oh no!!!!!!!!!!! 😥

Mounty_73

I never see any FC or vehicles in there, only the odd biker and dog walker and I would guess that there are bikers riding the cheeky stuff too.

The nature reserve area seems to be spreading…

rOcKeTdOg

oh don't worry, it won't stop me either, i just didn't see the point in arguing the toss with the guy….and he couldn't find low range to get his landy up the hill either, cue crunching of gears and sniggering from the peleton
    just unlucky i guess to be on the same bit of fireroad as them on a weekday morning, i've never seen rangers when i usually ride-weekends or after 5pm

pic from today

rOcKeTdOg

yes striking colours in places, plenty of mud in other areas i assure you, cost me a set of pads!

and whenever the rain stopped for a few minutes there were loadss of annoying flies about!

martp
    Free Member

loads of mud yesterday it is the Mudlands after all 😉

rOcKeTdOg

it's a change from snow on the NW Alps

saladdodger
    Free Member

Hope the rangers are not serious the Wyre is a fantastic place to ride runs the Q,s a close second for me shame I have not been there for a few years.

On the same score the Q's have very few bridalways either but the rangers are a bit more chilled

rOcKeTdOg

up to now so have the rangers in the wyre, in fact i think this is the first one i have ever seen

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘bikes not welcome in the wyre forest’ is closed to new replies.