Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • bikes in a flat
  • 6079smithw
    Free Member

Does anyone do this and how do you cope with it all, e.g. getting in and out, cleaning them etc?

nick1962
    Free Member

Had 5 in our 2 bed first floor flat and two under 3 kids too! Dirtworker in the car to clean them.Commuter left in our hall,3 in the hall cupboard and 1 in the bedroom.Plus the wife’s budget Halfords one locked in a communal cupboard.Can’t say it was easy.

jairaj

I live in a 3rd floor flat with no lift and manage fine. sometimes its a bit of a chore but its not that bad.

I too have portable washer thingy and bikes are cleaned after each dirty ride, stops the car and the flat getting too dirty. I also have a duff bag to carry all my biking gear so means I can carry bike and all my kit in one go.

Wall hooks and clever storage help keep the bikes out the way when not being used.

burnie
    Free Member

I keep a couple in my Uni room, I just find spots where they won’t get in the way. With the front wheel out and the bars rotated they don’t take up much space. Getting them in and out is a little more effort than when they were at home in the shed but it is not too difficult. I don’t share the bathroom with anyone so I wash them in the shower!

creamegg
    Free Member

Two in the lounge, mobi washer in the car.

Moving to new house next month so will have my own man cave happy days

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Bath for cleaning.

pypdjl
    Free Member

I had 6 in a 2 bed flat, just kept them all in one of the bedrooms. Cleaned them with a mobi, although I still tended to end up getting mud everywhere…

Karl33to
    Free Member

Wooden or laminate floors are a must if you don’t keep your bikes spotless. It’s not as bad as you might think though, main problem for me is carrying a 42lb DH bike up the stairs without bashing everything in sight and leaving rubber / dirt marks all over the walls, that and not having access to a tap outside to wash the bike.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Duffbag very useful for keeping dirt inside the bag and not in the apartment/car.

Sawyer
    Free Member

Not having a tap outside is a pain. Going to have to get a portable washer of some kind I think. I have a sheet of plastic under the bike area, which is also where my shoes now live. Keeps oil and mud in one place.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I have my road bike in the turbo trainer in front of the rad in the living room for hanging clothes to dry on, makes 5 bikes a bit more justifiable to the missus, or at least that’s what i try to get her to believe!

jairaj

Wooden or laminate floors are a must if you don’t keep your bikes spotless.

+1

This was one of the first things in I did my flat. No matter how clean the bike and gear are you’ll always bring some dirt in with you.

The laminate floor means I can bring loads of dirt in to the flat and just sweep up and a quick mop and everything is back to normal again.

hora
    Free Member

In 2002 I had two behind my bed in my studio flat. Why not?!

Better than in a thief box outside

oliverracing

I have 3 bikes in my 2.5*3.5m room at Uni – It’s cosy but a bit of clever storage and they fit ok

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

hora – Member

In 2002 I had two behind my bed in my studio flat. Why not?!

Better than in a thief box outside

Must be a squeeze with the car too?.

You do keep the car in the house don’t you?! No? Christ, it might get stolen!

simon_g

5 including the Brompton for us.

Nomad/dirtworker in the car, so they get hosed down before the trip back. They don’t get perfectly clean but enough that they’re not shedding mud everywhere when they get moved.

We have an alcove in the hallway that’s big enough for a lean-to bike rack (as pictured above). 3 below, one up high. An old bit of carpet sits underneath to catch any muck.

Ikea do nice long (2m+) cheap robust carpet runners that are perfect for the hallway between the front door and where we store them. Rubber-backed so even if I did bring a muddy bike in, it’s not going to reach the light carpet underneath.

Maintenance – I do it in the lounge, chuck down a couple of old double duvet covers to catch any grime.

Definitely less convenient than chucking a bike on a roof carrier and jetwashing outside your garage when you get home, but doable.

hora
    Free Member

My car isnt highly desirable in bits so naff analogy. As with 99.9% of stw’ers

Daffy

Yup,

5 in a 2 bed flat.

As above dirt worker for cleaning before bringing home, front wheel off, seatpost out, and bars turned 90 deg.

M.

6079smithw
    Free Member

Wow, some great solutions there.
    Makes you wonder why cream carpets even exist…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

4 or 5 in a 2 bed Glasgow tennament flat so wide doors and stairs.
    Washed after riding at the trail etc. (days before portable washers) if not it dries on the way home and bounce/dry brush the worst off.
    Tarp/Map to stand them on inside.

gribble
    Free Member

Daffy’s solution seems very neat.

When I lived in a flat, was lucky enouh to have a garage. Now that we live in a house, we obviously have no garage and have to use the garden, hence my recent post regarding Asgard bike storage.

There are some very neat wall hanging storage solutions, worth having a look on google images. Some people have come up with some great ideas to keep bikes stored inside, off the ground. It can be as simple as wall hooks with a piece of Perspex to stop the rear tyre marking the wall, or a self supporting frame that will hold 2 bikes (1 high, 1 low).

HansRey

if you’re going to wall mount them, check your frame/wheels/tyres fit in it! Also, there are some great ones which have places to put helmets, boots, etc.

I’ve got one outside, 2 in the communal attic storage and 3 on the balcony.

emanuel
    Free Member

http://revanchebikeco.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/n1-lifestyle/

should have tidyed up a bit, normally looked a bit better, brompton under the desk.
    Key was taking the front wheels off and hanging them up.
    3rd floor,no lift.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘bikes in a flat’ is closed to new replies.