Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bikes for teenage girls
  • knottinbotswana
    Free Member

What it says ^

I have daughters 11 and 14, at the moment they have really nasty BMX style bikes because that is what was available locally. It is time to upgrade: birthdays imminent.

There are no bike shops within 500km (apart from 100quid supermarket-style shockers), and the shop that is 500km away is horribly expensive (30quid for an HG73 chain – bikes worse). It seems that online is the way: shop must do international shipping (Botswana) and not charge VAT. Not keen on ebay, but would consider it for right bike/right price – shipping would be a hassle I think.

I have successfully bought stuff from CRC and very hassle-free.

I quite like the look and price of the Cube 260, more details at Cube website but geometry appears to be for the 240. Can anybody work out or estimate a standover height from the geometry given on the CRC site? What else is available around that price range?

I am thinking of buying the 260 for the 11yr old, and letting them share it for a while. If the interest is there (and the exam results…) then the older one might get something like an Access WLS. (Then we can all have Cubes…)

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

Additional info:
    11yr old 161cm tall, inside leg 84cm
    14yr old 157cm, 82cm

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

I'd do exactly what you've just said. 🙂
    You can't beat CRC for international hassle free delivery, and to do it VAT-free.
    Make sure they like the look of the Cube first though – I find that the success rate for kids cycling is directly proportional to how much they like the bike (this may apply to adults too)

4ndyB
    Free Member

We have a Cube Kid 260 in store, I'll measure the standover for ya.

Any other measurements you'd like?

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

Not sure about the inside leg measurements my wife has quoted me (I'm away from home) as my inside leg appears to be the same as theirs but I'm taller. Where's an anthropometry handbook when you need one?

I've asked her to remeasure using the book-between-the-legs-back-to-the-wall-method.

Thanks Orangista, that would be great. Do you have the Access WLS Women's 15" or 17" to hand as well?

Given their apparent lankiness a Kid 260 and the Access WLS seem to be the ticket (there's a 7yr old in the mix too, so the Kid 260 would get recycled).

EDIT: internet seems to say that women do generally have longer legs relative to their height than men…

4ndyB
    Free Member

I think we have both those sizes in the WLS Access, the geometry should be on the Cube website, if not I'll measure those too.

Edit: Hmm no standover figures on the site, will measure them for ya.

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

Geometry is on the Cube website but not the standover specifically. I guess I could calculate it or scale it if forced!

EDIT: Jinx you owe me a soda, as the kids say…

nickf
    Free Member

If it's any help, my 12 year old is happily riding an On-One 14" 456.

1nten5e
    Free Member

15% off Cubes at CRC at the moment mate

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

1nten5e – I know, I have an itchy debit card…

nickf – thanks, how tall is your young un and how much of the seatpost do they have on display?

Anybody know how long the sale lasts?

charliemort

my 12 year old has been happy on a 15 inch Specialized Myka for 18 months – I think she is about 1 m 50 / 55. It has really low stand-over, so she was always comfortable on it

sounds to me that yours at 1m 60 should definitely be on Adults bikes

for the same sort of price as that Cube WLS you'd get disc brakes on a Myka Comp

Also some nice Focus bikes reduced £650 – £400 on Wiggle

4ndyB
    Free Member

Standover of the Kid 260 is ~68cm

Standover of the 17" WLS is ~72cm

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

Thanks Orangista.

I reckon the 17" is the way to go, our trails are not particularly rar, or even gnarly and the kids probably have a bit more growth in them over the next few years.

Choices, choices.

Local dealer wants 550quid for a Specialized Myka Sport – do you reckon it's worth 50-100quid more than one of the ones below (after shipping, import duties, etc.)?

Pictures of the Cube WLS, Focus Northern Lite and Lite Expert have been sent home so they can comment on colours!

Any comments on specs/value for money of the above?

I just hope Wiggle come back with a positive answer for shipping to Bots otherwise it's a ballache to organise with friends in South Africa.

nickf
    Free Member

My daughter is now 4'11", and has about 4-5" of the seatpost showing. I went down the On-One route so that I can buy a 16" frame when needed and just swap everything over at a total cost of £150 or so.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bikes for teenage girls’ is closed to new replies.