Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bikes fitted with Double and Bash Chainsets?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Lots of bikes posted on here fitted with the above style of chainsets

I always thought the point of fitting a bash is to give protection to the chainrings and improve ground clearance so why use a long cage rear mech?

Surely you only need a long cage when you’re using a triple chainset to allow going from a 44/42 big ring to a 22 granny ring.

Short mechs look so much better too

mikey74
    Free Member

You are right…. and?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

long cage are usually cheaper and more readilly available

seanodav
    Free Member

maybe its the same mech from when they had triple up front and didnt want the expense of changing it when it doesnt make a difference?

ken_shields
    Free Member

No point really just an observation

Northwind

Mine have all got mid cages on now but when I started doing double and bash, I already had long cages fitted so I just kept using them, then replaced as they wore out/got mashed.

Kahurangi

long cage are usually cheaper and more readilly available

This.

and thanks for making me feel inadequate. 🙁

I have let myself down.

nick1962
    Free Member

I run a 22-36 up front and 12-34 at the rear giving me 36 difference for a derailler to manage.
    According to Shimano their medium cage derailler capacity is 33.So I run a long cage ….plus it was what I already had on the bike.SRAM’s medium cage can take 37.

specializedneeds

But Nick, do you really use 22 front – 12 rear? I wouldn’t have thought so. In fact you probably don’t use the next couple of (lower) gears combined with the granny ring either. So if you look at the worst case combo that you do use, you might find when the time comes to replace the mech, 33 take up is fine. Just a thought. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Send me a couple of nice mid-cage mechs – SLX or XT will do – and I’ll pop them on my bikes for you.

🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bikes fitted with Double and Bash Chainsets?’ is closed to new replies.