• This topic has 25 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • bikes & ebay – not good
  • tum-yeto
    Free Member

just sold a frame and some forks on ebay, holy crap when did the fees get so crazy high?

out of a 715 pound sale i managed to get 620 max out of it.

will not be using ebay again for a long time.

swines.

chris.

Blakey
    Free Member

That is a shocker, ebay are onto a good thing there lol

Digger90
    Free Member

It’s a rip off.

You’re pretty much forced to use Paypal now too – and the combined eBay & Paypal fees amount to 15%.

tum-yeto
    Free Member

biggest rip off ever.

ill just stick to selling stuff on here from now on, it was a last resort though.

chris.

Northwind

The fees are way higher than I was expecting, it’s ages since I’d done a big sale so getting the bill was a surprise. But that’s OK, all you have to do is make sure you’re selling for more on Ebay than you would elsewhere, and that’s not normally hard.

druidh
    Free Member

tum-yeto – Member

ill just stick to selling stuff on here from now on, it was a last resort though.

It was a last resort because no one on STW would pay £715?

loddrik
    Free Member

What I usually do with expensive items is ask the buyer, once he has received the item and is happy, to agree to cancel the transaction, thereby not incurring the final value fee.

giantjason
    Free Member

the advantage with ebay is that there is a significantly larger audience than on the classifieds on here. however the expense is that you have to pay for this privelage by paying the fees.

i have always found that if i price items realistically on the STW classifieds they nearly always go.

loddrik
    Free Member

Not always…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

ebay sales fee is 40 pounds, 25 quid for paypal. where did the rest go to get to 620?

spacemonkey

ebay sales fee is 40 pounds, 25 quid for paypal. where did the rest go to get to 620?

I just got stuffed for £25 on a £225 sale (which has gone wrong, but that’s another story). So I guess they collect 10% of final bid = £70+, plus whatever else they can grab?

tum-yeto
    Free Member

it was two transactions, a frame and forks, 40/25 for forks, 8/4 for frame. then listing and pics……adds up, and i was nice enough to give free postage……gutted.

no one would pay on here cause it was OT (downhill stuff) or too non-xc, but as usual, as soon as ive sold it some one comes on here looking for a charge blender……..

anyhoo, sh*t happens.

chris.

mrh86

Tell me about it…..I sold some stuff for £135; lost about £5 for paypal fees, and now listing fees and ebays share of the transaction is somewhere around £18/19. Best just to stick things on here for a bit cheaper I think

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Yeah, the fee is 10% + the listing fee. You only pay the PayPal fee if you withdraw the money, I don’t do that so I can’t remember if it’s a percentage with a maximum per withdrawal, but I think it is.

If you can leave the money and spend it with PayPal then it’s a decent deal, you definitely get more than 10% extra with the bigger market on ebay, if you put the item up at the ebay price on here you’d either get no interest or you’ll get haggled down, then have to throw in free postage.

It’s very easy to use PayPal to buy things I find, ebay obviously, but lots of bike shops take it too and if you’re buying stuff second hand etc.

Northwind

Remember you also get protection with ebay- though a lot of people slag it because it’s hard to make it work right, it’s saved me, oh, over a grand anyway over the years, no bother. Remember this the next time we get a classifieds scammer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A guy stuffed up selling a frame to me – misdescribed – he cba cancelling the transaction! Mind you his postage had a 80% mark up…

BenjiM

You only pay the PayPal fee if you withdraw the money

I got charged 4% by Paypal for each auction that was paid by Paypal recently. Those charges on top of seller fees for Ebay, somewhat reduced my excitement when I was expecting an extra bit of income.

spooky_b329

Paypal charges each transaction, whether you withdraw the money or not.

I think the ‘entry level’ paypal is free to accept money, but pretty soon you notice you can’t accept card payments (only money from someone’s paypal balance) so run into trouble completing a transaction, so you click ‘upgrade to premium’ before realising you are now liable for the fees.

hora
    Free Member

Everyone here knows that you get a higher price on ebay and lower on stw. I only sell on ebay if I’ve got no interest elsewhere. Stw does have a lot of barefaced chancers who email you but over the years I have bought the majority of my used kit from stw. Stop complaining. My auctions get closed all the time as I put cash on collection as item is collect only!

jools182
    Free Member

It is a rip off. Paypal takes a chunk, eBay charge you for listing, and then charge you again when it sells. They must be making a butty out of us

billysan
    Free Member

Sell anything at some proper auction rooms and with some you’ll be lucky to see 50% of the selling price.

Combine that with the HUGE audience that ebay attracts and it actually starts to look like good value.

boblo
    Free Member

Errrm, when did they make Ebay use compulsory? So you’re quite happy to use a service that has built itself into the market leader, get the exposure that goes with being the leader then grouch about the costs after selling something that couldn’t be sold elsewhere. Is that it?

Ebay are open about their fees, it’s no secret. Had you bothered to check, you would have known up front. Incidently, did you try and sell for £620 on here or did greed get the better of you?

As for the ‘use Ebay and then cancel to avoid fees’ above. That’s theft or fraud (or both). If we all did that, no more Ebay. Not meaning to sound pious but it’s hard to condone sharp practice and how would you feel if someone did that to you?

hora
    Free Member

boblo, ebay is geared towards revenue generation.

Ever had a complaint about Ebay? Tried discussing it with them?

If I have a collection only auction due to size etc- why do I have to offer paypal?

They’ve shifted from paypal being an option to a position where it is the only option (with some sly lines/over descriptions). If you even put a hint in there of any other payment method- your listing is pulled.

I take great pleasure in offering on items listed that are localish to me for collection OUTSIDE of the auction.

Ebay aren’t bloody whiter than white and they can’t have their one-way street IMO.

boblo
    Free Member

hora – Member
    boblo, ebay is geared towards revenue generation.

<sigh> Oh really. Business established to generate revenue and profit shocker. What did you think it was, a Soviet Collective?

As Companies scale, they generally become more difficult to deal with. Ebay probably has to deal with so many plebs and chancers doing the sorts of things you describe, they are drowning under their own processes to sort it.

I couldn’t care about Ebay per se. If you don’t like it don’t use it. The issue is using it and then behaving as you (and above) describe.

br
    Free Member

The final fees may be more, as the Paypal ones are normally at the end of the month…

tbh I always work on 15% for ebay/paypal selling fees

hora
    Free Member

I use it, they still get some sort of fee out of me but if someone approaches me and offers me money I’ll sell it to them and pull the auction.

I don’t get this ‘in the spirit of Ebay bollocks’. I think its firmly fair game.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘bikes & ebay – not good’ is closed to new replies.