Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bikes, dogs, runners and walkers….
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…after all the negativity on here about these groups not getting on, it was a pleasure to be out for a run with the dogs this morning and seeing all four getting on so well. Everyone courteous to one another, a few stops and chats (well done the 6 bikers who stopped by the frisky horse!), not poo bags in trees, respect for each other and everyone enjoying their own chosen activity.

Actually, that is pretty much the norm in my experience!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Great post. As one of all of the above (well dog walkerist anyway) I can’ see why we can’t all enjoy the outdoors in harmony.

butcher

Was out yesterday riding railway paths, ringing my bell as I approached dog walkers and countryside stragglers, and two people said thank you to me as I passed. It wasn’t even sarcastic. That was nice, I thought.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Chatting with two of the horse riders, it was interesting that they said that bikes potentially scared their horses much more than dogs.

Nice set of bikes (ibis mojo, giants etc) and I guess conditions (crooksbury) were not that bad today. For a change my feet felt dry after an hours running.

stavromuller
    Free Member

TBH I enjoy the interaction with other outdoorists nearly as much as the ride.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Chatting with two of the horse riders, it was interesting that they said that bikes potentially scared their horses much more than dogs.

Did they say whether they ranked bikes higher or lower then crisp packets and purple rucksacks in the the things that can freak out a horse hit list?

yossarian
    Free Member

Despite what the negative and loud people would have you believe, the overwhelming majority of trail users are totally sound. There are grumpy, dark people in every user group bit they are a massive minority. In fact the most angry and confrontational person I’ve ever met on the trails is a mountain biker.

dogtiredandwired
    Free Member

I agree that the overwhelming majority of trail users are generally courteous. However this is why the few that aren’t are so depressing. While on the Malverns this morning (a ride curtailed because there were too many people up there), I stopped to allow a dog-walker past. Following my greeting of “good morning” as he walked past me, he turned and said “are you able to ride on this path?”. Replying, “yes, of course, it is a bridleway”, he responded with, “well, it shouldnt be”, and stormed off.

While not exactly a massive confrontation, it just left me depressed.

Frankly, my being a cyclist, and him a dog-walker is completely irrelevant. What happened to people displaying courtesy to strangers? Was the fact that I was on a bike, and therefore easily labelled as possibly “not his sort of person” a justification for such behaviour? Who knows. 🙁

yossarian
    Free Member

I know how you feel. I remember my wife getting pushed off by an old fella who assumed she was a feckless young hoodlum rather than a 35 year old wife and mother. Man, I wanted to batter that old git!

Kill them with love. The grumpier they are, the more you smile. They’ll either thaw out or blow up.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yossarian, agree with the kill them with live concept. It’s fun to take people by surprise!

Ian, lots of things will spook a horse for sure.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Kill them with love. The grumpier they are, the more you smile. They’ll either thaw out or blow up

Funny. It’s true though, being lovely to grumpy people drives them nuts! 😆

Also agree with OP, mainly all very good natured with outdoorsists, I ride nearly all XC, apart from today’s road/XC epic. Only cyclists I saw were roadies, all really cheerful and friendly 🙂

marcus7
    Free Member

Yip, went for a quick pootle round delamere this morning and saw a BIG group of walkers, dog walkers and horse riders, I tend to get out of the way and show my skilz on the side trails… But to be honest everyone seemed to be very plesent. If I’m to be honest at this time of year and in the morning its mostly locals like me who tend to respect the area, the same cannot always be be said for a Saturday afternoon in the summer!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bikes, dogs, runners and walkers….’ is closed to new replies.