Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bikes designed for drop bars
  • annebr
    Free Member

Do you need to make adjustments on bike sizing or stem length on bikes designed for drop bars if you want to use a flat bar or risers?

It makes sense to me that you may need to but how much difference does it make?

Thinking on a touring/commuting bike and dont want to use drops.

Any opinions?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

IIRC correctly drop bar bikes have a shorter top tube length than flat barred bikes (or is it the other way round?!). So there would be some stem tinkerage involved with the potential you’d end up with a long tiller like stem for the flats to avoid too much sit-up-and-beg’ness.

If you’re thinking of a flat barred commuting/touring bike then it’s probably hybrids you want to be looking at, unless you’ve got a drop bar bike now and you want to change it.

brakes
    Free Member

drop bar bikes are shorter so you’d need a longer stem to try and get a better position (weight distribution, aero, comfort, etc.).
    some frames are designed to be flat-bar road bikes – the Cotic Roadrat for example came in two different lengths so you could choose.

annebr
    Free Member

Thanks, it is as I thought

I was just looking at a Singular Peregrine and it makes a point of saying it is designed for drops.

ahwiles
    Free Member

breatheeasy – Member

If you’re thinking of a flat barred commuting/touring bike then it’s probably hybrids you want to be looking at,

what he said.

modern hybrids are ****ing awesome.

(fast, light, strong, reliable, cheap, hydraulic disc brakes, etc.)

annebr
    Free Member

any suggestions of a nice hybrid frame? I don’t need to buy a whole bike.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Pinnacle Lithium

£85?

annebr
    Free Member

nice price! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bikes designed for drop bars’ is closed to new replies.