Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike's coming to Uni – Which insurer?
  • thegiantbiker
    Free Member

So, I’m bringing my bike to uni and I’d rather insure it as long as it’s not ridiculously expensive.

Is it possible to insure just for the time I’m here this year, as it’ll come home with me at the end of the year so I don’t really want to be paying a full year’s insurance?

It’s value at RRP is around £1700 by the way.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

For goodness sake keep it in your room, stick the locks on it and only use a beater!

Myself I’d send it home…

wiggles
    Free Member

Get a cheaper bike for uni. Will be cheaper than insurance.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

It’s definitely staying locked in my room, but the riding’s really good here so I’d regret having a worse bike.

Quotes look to be around £9 a month for it, which isn’t too bad, and after first year I’ll move out of student housing and have a proper place to lock it up. I’m really just wondering which insurers are best to deal with in terms of claiming if I have to?

Also, thanks to online sales and a donor bike, I’m more like £1100-1200 into it, so if I have to make a claim, I should be able to easily fund a replacement and maybe even upgrade some parts.

Rosss
    Free Member

Definately do insure it though and stick a recognized lock on it. I had mine stolen in my first year last year and unfortunately it wasn’t insured!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Get a big bag (duff bag type thing) and keep it in your room under the bed or something. Insuring bikes sepperately is really expensive and usualy really perscriptive in terms of locks.

Keep it in your room in a bag and lock it, thieves are going to go looking for mackbooks etc in student halls, bikes will be too much effort for them.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Quotes look to be around £9 a month for it, which isn’t too bad,

I think you need to research this a little more….

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Looking at protect your bubble and they’re saying £9.49 with all the details, what makes you think it should be higher?

cookeaa

First year? In halls?
    Honestly, just Get a beater…

Had a specific policy withe ensley when I was in my first year (many years ago), really wasn’t worth it TBH.

Protect my bubble? Thought their primary market was Mobile phone cover for dickheads…

GeForceJunky

Buy a bike bag and shove it in that in your room.

Northwind

Speak to the bike society if you have one, see what they do. We have a zero tolerance for bike related damage/dirt policy in halls but until you screw up, we turn a blind eye. I think that’s fairly commonplace.

Our pres told me that they mostly had their bikes insured as agricultural equipment rather than bikes, I’ve no idea how that actually works, I left it to them to sort out details…

Rosss
    Free Member

Bike bag in the room does work well however, depending on where you’re going, I’d insure it too for when you’re out riding or grabbing a drink mid ride. I certainly don’t enjoy riding my bright yellow bike out of my accomodation into the city centre 😆

dmorts

Is ‘home’ still with your parents?

Might be able to have it covered on their home insurance policy?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike's coming to Uni – Which insurer?’ is closed to new replies.