Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bikes + Buildings/Contents Insurance
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Buying my first house and looking at buildings/contents insurance.
    Being a multiple bike owner would I be best looking at who gives the best bike cover and then see how the building cover stands up?

Who’s the best recently on the bike front? I’ve been recommended sainsburys by non bike owning parents.

While I’m here and asking, I bought a marin quake with a health discount at rutland cycles (£3200 down to £1800) what figure do I put down? The £3200 RRP or the price I bought it for?
    And I’ve also got a custom built bike, 2007 giant trance 3 frame with RS Revs, hope pro II/XM719 wheels etc. How would I go about finding a price on insuring this one? Would most companies even insure its whole value or just what the normal trance is worth?

Going to be beefing up the shed security but I’m still not 100% on the local area so want to make sure my insurance will cover most/all of the cost of new bikes.

Harry_the_Spider

I went to see a broker and asked their advice as I wanted to talk to somebody face to face.

I got a good policy and cover on 4 bikes for a price that I was happy with.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Unless things have changed very recently M&S is the way to go. A single article limit of £4k, so you can have as many bikes as you like!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I went to see my (mortgage) broker and the most he could do was £2000 for ALL bikes. ha ha ha, no thanks.
    had M&S in mind.
    Any others?

Harry_the_Spider

I went to see my broker and the most he could do was £2000 for ALL bikes. ha ha ha, no thanks.

Oh well.

I had to supply photographs, frame numbers, prices and security details. Each one is insurred for what I paid for it. However, you never know how good a policy is until you need to claim!

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Just about to take mine out with NFU, have 3 bikes one with a £4k value. They have come out £10 per month cheaper than Tesco (without the bike listed). Buildings, contents and Bikes covered for £36 per month. Well chuffed.

mrsflash
    Free Member

M&S, NFU and ING all provide similar cover for bikes I believe. We are with M&S.

DrP

Just been looking at this – AXA seem pretty good at covering any value of bike AT HOME, but only up to £1000 when away from home…

Not sure what to do – the chances are if a bike is nicked, it’ll be from home right? But what about trips away.. Oh what to do!

DrP

JPcapel
    Free Member

A late shout for Halifax & sainsburys (which is a Halifax underwritten policy).
    Very good prices, against market.
    Excellent customer service.
    Insure my bikes £5500 & £3000 respectively.
    For your Marin, your not meant to part insure and unless you could ensure achieving same purchase price you need to state the bike is worth £3200. That said I’d insure it for £2950, as this might keep it under an Insurers threshold whereby premiums change, if you got given £2950 you’d negotiate purchase of a £3200 bike easily with most LBS.
    Have heard good things about M&S too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bikes + Buildings/Contents Insurance’ is closed to new replies.