Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bikes at Edinburgh Uni :(
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Right, just applied for accomadation at Ed uni (its my 2nd choice, but Ill most likely be going there).

My 3 choices of halls have “secure lockup” or whatever, but I rang and they said its basically a bar and lock, in a shed in you’re lucky.
    They also said you cant keep your bike in your room.

I dont really fancy leaving my £2k bike outside chained to a fence, so any ideas what could be done? Sneak the bike in and keep it under the bed?

I know it would make sense to not take the bike to uni, but, y’know, I quite like biking, plus, its Scotland 🙂

Ta, Duane.

IA

You’ll be far better asking that on the club forum here:
    http://eucc.eusu.ed.ac.uk/

But also read all the info on the pages there first, should answer many of your questions.

EDIT: Start here:
    http://eucc.eusu.ed.ac.uk/more_information.php

theflatboy
    Free Member

try to get in touch with other mtbers either at or who used to be at the uni and see what they do/did.

andywhit
    Free Member

Contact this lot (Edin Uni Cycling Club) -> http://eucc.eusu.ed.ac.uk/

Jimbo
    Free Member

They also said you cant keep your bike in your room.

Every university says that. The official line is that bikes can restrict escape in an emergency (fire), particularly if left in corridors, hallwas etc, etc.

Keep your bike in your room, do it discretely and don’t take the p*ss (i.e. don’t leave mud/bike parts etc lying around). Come inspections, either go out for a ride, sling it in your car (should you have one) or take the pedals/wheels off and throw it under your bed. You’ll be fine.

zaskar
    Free Member

Get a ‘bike bag’ and hang it in your room? if it’s your training/racing bike.

Hope it’s not your commuter?! get it insured anyway.

IA

Oh, and take the bike to uni. The club here is very active, and we get a lot of great riding done.

jimmy

I’m at Edinburgh Uni now (irrelevant actually as not in uni accomodation) but when I did my undergrad at Keele they said no bikes in rooms. However, I kept mine in my room for 2 years. Just make sure it doesn’t make a mess, doesn’t block corridors (fire safety) and doesn’t get seen by wardens. Basically means keeping it clean and in your room. If you can get it under your bed all the better – although it made a good clothes horse a lot of the time…

Alternatively, rent a room in a flat rather that Uni halls.

zokes
    Free Member

Ask them about their environmental policy, and why they actively discourage students from bringing bikes to university. Perhaps suggest to them that you’d be interested to talking to the local press about the issue….

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Zokes, unfortunately that won’t work as they can simply point to their secure bike lockup. Doubtless this is secure enough for “most” bikes.

I kept 2 bikes in my room in halls without hassle. I was always nice to the cleaner and she never protested. As they say, don’t take the p*ss and you should be fine.

phyncra
    Free Member

if you are going to be staying at Pollock halls their bike storage is pretty reasonable. Solid built buildings with heavy steel doors. That said since the keys are on deposits Im sure there are quite alot of old keys knocking about. As above says just keep your bike in your room. Thats what I did and had no bother although this was over 10 years ago (gulp!).

domino

Rules about bikes in halls when I was at Uni (not Edinburgh) were that you couldn’t, but some people have offered good suggestions about keeping bike clean, in a bag and in your room. Don’t commute on it though, get a cheap hack bike for that.

zokes
    Free Member

What beats me is why you ‘can’t’ keep bikes in your room, yet no uni ever seems to have an issue with surfboards, kayaks etc….

timber

just standard wording
    keep them tidy and don’t block any doors, I had an unusually large room one year and kept about a dozen bikes in my room without question
    you can generally wing it, kept mine on a carpet remnant that I blagged

Jakester
    Free Member

Rules at Warwick were no bikes in rooms.

If it’s in a bikebag under the bed, no-one’s the wiser.

We used to keep ours in the hallway with the front wheel off of our halls and only once had a peep out of anyone.

MrK
    Free Member

Ask them about their environmental policy, and why they actively discourage students from bringing bikes to university. Perhaps suggest to them that you’d be interested to talking to the local press about the issue…. [

haha, the local press is ruled by by big local institutions – good luck with that one!

zokes
    Free Member

the local press is ruled by by big local institutions – good luck with that one!

The local press round here do nothing but moan about the university – I’m sure they’d love something a bit more righteous to get their teeth into, especially if you also managed to get in that because there was nowhere safe to keep your bike, you’d have to bring your car, taking up a local’s parking space and adding to congestion….

jonb
    Free Member

I wasn’t at Edinburgh but I kept a bike in my room in halls. I took both wheels off and put it next to the wardrobe. Carboard behind to protect the wall and a sheet to cover it. No one ever said anything, even when I rode it down the corridor and out the building. The porter did take exception to me riding the unnoficial downhill course through the grounds so that had to stop as I lived there.

I also kept a kayak under mmy bed for several weeks and permanently had canoe kit hung all over the bathroom.

I occasionally had books on my desk.

Dougal
    Free Member

As Iain has already said, check out the EUCC forum.

Top tip for keeping your bike in your room: Keep your cleaner sweet, that way he/she won’t report your (tidy/clean) bike storage.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bikes at Edinburgh Uni :(’ is closed to new replies.