Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Bikes and bits you don't use – sell and move on or keep forever? what do you do?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Going through my garage this Easter.

A few bikes I don’t need gathering dust and becoming retro.

I’m thinking how much fun I had vs. cash in hand
    (and keep 1-2 bikes I actually use).

Sure you only get peanuts compared to what you paid.

Found a few bits to build up a whole road bike too just need a frame…

soma_rich
    Free Member

I’ve got an old CX bike that has very little value and i’m trying to decide if I should donate it locally or give it away on here.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m selling all the stuff at the moment that I’ve kept for years ‘just in case’ including a 96′ Orange P7 frame, 1996 pace rc36 forks that I had rebuilt last year, bars, stems, shifters, etc.

I’ll never get round to using any of it so may as well make a few quid and clear some space.

It feels good to have a proper clear out.

faustus

I’ve got a load of old parts i’m never going to use, like v-brakes and levers, cheap headsets that are now the wrong size, narrow bars etc. etc. Going to donate them all to the local cycle project, so they see life in repairing commuters. If I had an old bike I didn’t ever ride, i’d probably sell it if it worked OK.

I’ve often thought I could build up a bike with parts, but I don’t see the point for the sake of it. If you have enough bikes already then you don’t need one made of the bits you don’t really want any more…and it’ll never be ‘just’ a frame 🙂

jam-bo

I’ve donated loads of stuff recently to local bike charity (Ride-ON in exeter)

I wasn’t going to use it, and I couldn’t be arsed with the hassle to sell it for peanuts.

pictonroad

Rich, we need to talk about this CX bike.. 8)

ton

I sell it on. usually very cheaply on here.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I try to move it on, had a stack of 26″ tyres but needed a new 650B tyre. Sell 4 old tyres to pay for the new one….. I really dont think I need 12 26″ tyres anymore.

Same when I built a bike for my son, bought a complete bike and sold everything I didnt want to keep, you would be amazed what sells on ebay. My rule is that its worth the effort if it makes £5. sold the old brakes, forks, cranks even the nasty wheels. Tyres went in the bin. Any funds went towards the upgrades.

If there is a pile gathering dust in the shed now its only going to get bigger and be worth less as time passes.
    This rule now includes my wifes On One inbred as it hasnt turned a wheel for about a year, as she realized my Ti version hanging next to rides a lot nicer 😀

Get it sold!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I keep it forever. So many old bits lying around in boxes. Jeezus, I have no idea what to do with them. Keep meaning to build a commuter with some of them, then other bits I keep ‘just in case’… or keep ‘just until I find the time to do what I originally planned with them’.

I mean what do you do with a perfectly useable* pair of Rebas, that have a massive score on one stanchion, but still work okay? Or a pair of new-old-stock 600mm 27.2 carbon bars? Or some old skool Nuke Proof carbon hubs and a Nuke Proof wheel that you are keeping just in case the other pair fitted to your retro MTB fails? Or a 130mm Club Roost stem that no one is ever going to use on any bike ever?

Send it all to the tip?

Most of it is worthless, but might just be useful one day, maybe. I think I have a problem… 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

During my garage tidy out when I was being ruthless about what to get rid of my dads old socket set was put in the ‘stick it on ebay’ pile. So I did, cleaned it up, stuck it on, and made £100. My dads been dead 13 years so he’s not bothered.

Club Roost i-beam stems are going for around a tenner on eBay btw, I have one in my stock pile ready to sell.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Hang it on the wall and enjoy!* 😉

*depends what it is I guess…

kcal

’96 P7 frame could fetch a chunk of cash!!

swamptin
    Free Member

I’m a terrible hoarder. I’ve two sets of Avid cable brakes in my bedroom, a Formula brake with a hose that’s too short to go on anything I own anymore, a pair of half worn DMR Motos. Actually, come to think of it I’m pretty sure there’s still an Shimano 5 speed mech somewhere around the house. 😕

Gary_M
    Free Member

’96 P7 frame could fetch a chunk of cash!!

Doubt it, think they sell for about £50.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Gave my stuff away to friends who needed it

Frankenstein
    Free Member

So the options are:

Hoarding,
    Sell/Donate,
    Give to a friend,
    Build another bike,
    Therapy for hoarding!

Just going to look at a frame…build and declutter on classifieds.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It feels good to have a proper clear out.

Hell yes.

I emigrated recently. I’ve gone down from a high point of 7 bikes and a material fraction of a garage full of crap, to one bike and a shoe-box of spares. Mostly given away, some sold for peanuts.

Did the same with most other sorts of possessions. Incredibly liberating. 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

I tend to pass it on for free if it is worth nowt, or drop it in to Cycle Recycle in Hebden. Someone may as well use it.

warpcow
    Free Member

I only keep things that are compatible with what I currently use. That and stems so I now have a collection of between 50-120mm in 10mm increments several with different angles. No space to hoard things really, though I probably would if I could.

Most stuff I usually try to sell for what feels fair (I’ve never not been able to sell something, which might be a bad thing). Some stuff gets given away or exchanged for a pint.

lunge

There is always the Pass It Forward thread on here that you can move on old stuff to.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

gave a load to http://www.cyclerecycle.org.uk/thanks.php and I got my name on the list….
    Just ebayed a load, first trick is that what you paid is not what it’s worth, if you are using it then in all honesty cash in the bank is better than shit you don’t use.

clubby

Get rid of it.
    Went through the same myself last year. Been riding since 1989 and had held onto parts going back to the early 90’s. Retrobike is a good way of shifting older stuff. You might not make much but at least it’ll go to someone who’ll use it. What you can’t sell or give away to friends them put the local cycle projects.

Felt good to get rid of it, especially when you find out that the frame you gave away for postage costs went to someones son to get them into biking. Plus I can also honestly say that not once have I found I needed one of those parts.

Dickyboy

I definitely need a good purge, would be very liberating to have just the one bike & no spares 😕

paul4stones

Our LBS closed and then has been re-born as a cycle repair chap. The fella that runs it has now got an interest in classic road bikes, like Eroica type stuff. I gave him a bag full of old stuff I didn’t need. Like taking him biscuits but healthier. Otherwise I’m a terrible hoarder. It might just come in!

weeksy

Most stuff goes in the bin… I just can’t be bothered messing about posting it etc, I’ve got working mechs, brakes, cranksets, etc in a box, but I just can’t be bothered advertising them.

teesoo

After getting a new bike a few years ago, I had intended to use the old one as a winter commuter. Nearly two years later, it hadn’t been touched, so I ended up donating it to the local Recyke y bike charity along with a pile of bits. Hopefullt someone else can use it more than I would have.

elliott-20
    Free Member

I end up selling old parts to keep the main bike running.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I can be pretty bad for hanging on for stuff.

I have a 2005 pair of 36 RC2’s that I won’t sell. They’ll be worthless as they’re a) poo brown b) 26 inch and c) 1 1/8th steeer. It’ll be mostly a though. They did come in handy when my Devilles went for a service though.

I’m hanging onto a pair of Z1 Anniversary’s purely because they were so hard to track down.

But some stuff is used to fund new bits, depending on what it is although selling it can be a ball ache.

amedias
    Free Member

Most stuff goes in the bin…

This make me sad, there’s always someone who could use the bits, either a local charity that recycles/repairs (or worst of all stores it up and weighs in fro scrap if they really can’t fix/use), or a local youngster who could do with the bits, the absolute worst thing to do is just bin parts 🙁

Often people will pick stuff up from you too so it’s not even like you have to put any effort in, other than send a message/ad saying “I’ve got somE bits” come and get them’

My spares either end up hanging around to fix my own bikes, or being used down at the charity workshop, or given away locally to friends/club members, I do sell a few bits but normally only if none of the above can use them or if they’re worth actual money, in fact you’ve reminded me I need to put another box of stuff together to take down…

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Bits I gernally get rid of, bikes I seem to keep for sentimental reasons, some of which I haven’t seen for 2 years as they’re in storage over 100 miles away!

hooli

I think that is going to be my easter weekend job. I need to sort out my garage, clean the bits worth selling and get them listed somewhere.

I have been meaning to do it for ages but there is always an excuse, its the wrong time of year to sell, I may need it, I could convert it to a XXX bike etc.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Copying Hooli tomorrow.

I’ve got everything from a Rival shifters and running gear, stems, bars, posts and wheels.

Going to have to estimate its second hand value vs. new complete bike vs. price of a new frameset.

Northwind

I hoard it… Just after christmas I built a bike entirely out of crap I had lying about, I could do the same again right now, that’s not right really… Need to get some more stuff sold!

brooess
    Free Member

If stuff still has life in it I put it on classifieds – as much because I hate throwing stuff away which can still be used – feels environmentally irresponsible to add even more to the landfill…

You’ll be amazed what people will take off your hands (although sometimes for peanuts). I’ve just sold a 15-year old Panasonic discman for £12 on ebay. Still working so seemed poor form to just bin it.

The only downside is you get a few oddballs on here who post on your ad pointing out you’re selling a pile of crap!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Bikes and bits you don't use – sell and move on or keep forever? what do you do?’ is closed to new replies.