• This topic has 27 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Bikeradar….
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

…what planet are they on?

Today there is an article describing the new Fox 36 axle arrangement. In particular how we will no longer need to undo 5 Allen key bolts to remove the wheel…. something we haven’t had to do since 2007!

Then there is an article describing how to fit a star nut by first buying an expensive tool and then braying it in with a hammer using the fork SPRINGS as a support 😯

The last time I used a hammer for this (instead of a threaded bar) I was 14 and even then I realized you need to brace the crown before commencing the bashing.

njee20
    Free Member

Meh, I’ve always installed SFNs like that, with the proper tool, putting the dropouts on something.

No idea on Fox 36s.

creamegg
    Free Member

rubber mallet and a drift worked a treat to get the SFN in last week

njee20
    Free Member

On 36s… taken from the Fox website:

That looks like 5 places to stick an allen key to remove the front wheel…?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Today there is an article describing the new Fox 36 axle arrangement. In particular how we will no longer need to undo 5 Allen key bolts to remove the wheel…. something we haven’t had to do since 2007!

Fox went back to 5 bolts for 2014 forks.

wwaswas

what planet are they on?

Earth?

Yeah they went back to 5 bolts for 2014 forks.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Ah

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah, I teased Mojo about the ‘new’ set-up on the 36’s back last year on facebook.

“pinch bolts, well I guess you can’t stop the unrelenting march of progress” they didn’t take it well. 😈

Some enterprising chaps have come up with this solution.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/fox-q36r-quick-release-axle-upgrade-from-the-flow-zone-first-look-43579/

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, I teased Mojo about the ‘new’ set-up on the 36’s back last year on facebook.

“pinch bolts, well I guess you can’t stop the unrelenting march of progress” they didn’t take it well.

Haha.

At least it gives Fox something to “improve” for the 2016 version.

robj20
    Free Member

Fox really chose that option, whats the idea behind that instead of a QR axle?

Northwind

So tell me OP, did the thread go how you expected? 😉

AlexSimon

You can fix that, thanks to Ethan at Maverick Suspension:
    http://mavericksuspension.com/

Edit – oh I see P-Jay beat me to it.

njee20
    Free Member

Edit – oh I see P-Jay beat me to it.

Well, the entire thread was started because of that, so technically the OP beat you to it… 😕

P-Jay
    Free Member

robj20 – Member

Fox really chose that option, whats the idea behind that instead of a QR axle?

One word “Enduro”

As soon as the 36 fork fell into a race category instead of just a cocking about / freeride one suddenly weight becomes a concern and that’s lighter than the old QR solution.

The stopped using it in 2007 partly because they used to have a problem with cracking lowers, you really only needed a tiny amount of torque to close them properly – my mate runs the 2015 version and has snapped everyone of the bolts at one time or other.

robj20
    Free Member

Surely its better to sacrifice a few grams for the ease of QR.

P-Jay
    Free Member

robj20 – Member

Surely its better to sacrifice a few grams for the ease of QR.

Totally agree, but I guess a lot of people buy stuff ‘on paper’ and a few grams lighter looks better against Pike’s or something.

I did ask them about retro fitting 2014 lowers, they were vague about 26ers but there aren’t any 275 2014 so that’s a non-starter.

robj20
    Free Member

Even for a race, if you had a puncture it would add a hell of a lot of time having to undo all them and then to not lose any.

njee20
    Free Member

Even for a race, if you had a puncture it would add a hell of a lot of time having to undo all them and then to not lose any.

A lot of XC racers are choosing bolt-up axles versus QRs now, it’s one bolt, so not quite the same, but can be done quicker than a QR, particularly if you have an hex key bit in an electric drill to undo it with, F1 style wheel changes!

I wouldn’t take it as a given that undoing/tightening several QRs is quicker than just using a tool.

AlexSimon

njee – of I see 😳
    I guess because there wasn’t a link, it wasn’t clear.

Anyway – I’m a fan of Ethan – Maverick owners speak very highly of him and he’s always answered my emails promptly and with invaluable knowledge.

ndthornton
    Free Member

So tell me OP, did the thread go how you expected?

no it didn’t you smug bast*** 😆

I genuinely thought we had seen the last of the pinch bolts after having cracked lowers myself

robj20
    Free Member

A lot of XC racers are choosing bolt-up axles versus QRs now, it’s one bolt, so not quite the same, but can be done quicker than a QR, particularly if you have an hex key bit in an electric drill to undo it with, F1 style wheel changes!

I wouldn’t take it as a given that undoing/tightening several QRs is quicker than just using a tool.

I’m sure a Maxle type QR is quicker than any bolt requiring a tool.
    Lol at carrying an electric drill to do the bolts up, so to save a few grams on a bolt up axle they then carry a tool weighing 10 times what a QR bolt would be.

I just cant see where this setup is better.

Northwind

robj20 – Member

Lol at carrying an electric drill to do the bolts up, so to save a few grams on a bolt up axle they then carry a tool weighing 10 times what a QR bolt would be.

Pretty obvious he was talking about pits/workshop changes, no?

QR is faster than tools but all in all it’s a situation where you’re already bollocksed so saving 20 seconds on a bolt isn’t really that important against the total time spent changing a tube. In an enduro race you’ll either ride out the stage on the flat or just accept that your race is screwed. There’s basically no time where saving a few seconds on a tyre change makes any difference.

ndthornton
    Free Member

There’s basically no time where saving a few seconds on a tyre change makes any difference.

What about when your mates are getting sacked off waiting for you to change a tube because you’re too stubborn to adopt tubeless.

robj20
    Free Member

or simply getting annoyed everytime you want to put the bike in the car.

Northwind

They won’t even notice the difference.

njee20
    Free Member

Pretty obvious he was talking about pits/workshop changes, no?

Indeed I was, and I’ll wager that a mechanic with a drill can change a bolted through axle wheel faster than a QR-through axle.

I’d still say an old school QR is fastest, but that’s a pretty marginal advantage frankly, and the only area where they’re an improvement!

D0NK

Fox went back to 5 bolts for 2014 forks.

no doubt so they could improve it again on the next model.

FWIW I’ve got an 07ish 36 and am quite happy with the bolts, not an onerous task and the “QR” version was actually 3 QRs so something of a misnomer. Besides even if you’re racing I’d have thought with enduro being relatively short timed stages a flat is you out of the running so a few seconds on extra bolts and stashing your multitool isn’t going to affect you much in the grand scheme (same for transitions)

hora
    Free Member

I stopped visiting and reading bikeradar when they bigged up that really flexy ti frame from on one. I bought one on the back of their review.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Bikeradar….’ is closed to new replies.