Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Biker ALERT! Get good wheels first not good components.
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Wow, much hatred

I wouldn’t say hatred, light hearted piss taking yes but hatred not in the slightest.

What sort of reaction would the OP really expect from Seriously need to educate the masses on here because its a recurring problem which is completely OTT.

stevied
    Free Member

Would an Audi be classed as good wheels?

As long as it’s got a 5 on top 😉

uwe-r
    Free Member

Xt hubs / mavic 717 rims, mostly xt components.

Home and hosed. In your face losers!

stevied
    Free Member

Xt hubs / mavic 717 rims, mostly xt components

Surely you should have XT rims too?? Be careful out there 😉

traildog
    Free Member

Because components wear out quickly and thus you get to upgrade them first. And the wheels don’t really wear out nowadays so you have to kill them or actually decide that they’re holding you back. Most wheels are up to the job.

Actually, one of the things I like about mountain biking is that everyones bike is quite different and reflects what they think is important to them. I don’t think it’s true that wheels make the most difference like on the road. Forks and suspension in general makes a massive difference, as does cockpit setup, gearing (see discussion on 1×11) etc.etc.

Educate yourself??

wordnumb
    Free Member

Actually, one of the things I like about mountain biking is that everyones bike is quite different…

Mine isn’t.

scaredypants

EN321 and my front is a pro 2 on EN521

see, that’s fine: averages out adds up ( 🙄 ) to an even number

mindmap3
    Free Member

I agree with the sentiment – better wheels will have a bigger impact than a posh rear mech or set of cranks.

However, it’s their money they can spend it on what they want. Wheels can also seem pretty pricey hence why they may get left right to the end.

hels
    Free Member

Is it school holidays again already ??

njee20
    Free Member

see, that’s fine: averages out to an even number

No it doesn’t – the average is EN421, and that’s about the exposure of materials to ionising radiation, which sounds pretty worrying. I’d be changing them.

Sandwich

Who’s got the Hobnobs? Would you pass one here please?

rusty90
    Free Member

I see so many people with insanely good coffee in their cups yet their biscuits are crap. We need to educate the masses on this one.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Aah, but what’s better – some Crests on A2Z hubs, or Enves on Chris King hubs? The former are lighter, but are they ‘better’, or indeed good enough to asuage the OP?

Having owned both, the Enves by a country mile.

njee20
    Free Member

But it was in reference to Tom’s comment that lighter = better, that goes against that!

BillOddie

This gives quite a high reading on the WTF-o-meter…

orangeboy
    Free Member

Glad I’ve just poured a brew , this could run a little yet.

What does make a good wheel ?
    Light
    Strong
    Exspencive
    Bling

Lol

sugdenr
    Free Member

I hate to pander to the highly spurious nature of the OP but……..not uncommonly I see blingy CK hubs on 317s – which is an internal WTF for me. Very expensive hubs on about the cheapest mavic rims available. Answers on a postcard please.

njee20
    Free Member

Very expensive hubs on about the cheapest mavic rims available. Answers on a postcard please.

They’re perfectly adequate rims as rim quality doesn’t vary that much?

Personally I think buying Mavic rims full stop is pretty inexplicable, but each to their own and that! Not really any different to putting a King headset in an On One (for example).

ahwiles
    Free Member

good hubs will last decades even with a little abuse, you can ruin a rim with half a second of poor judgement.

why buy expensive rims?

they’re a bit like rear mechs, i am gullible enough to accept that XTR mechs may last a bit longer than deore, but mechs don’t wear out, they work just fine for a random amount of time, before being smashed into a rock.

deore mech, xt shifters.
    317 rims, CK hubs.

same difference.

except, deore hubs are bloody great. You can squeeze decades out of them if you know how to use a cone spanner.

317 rims + deore hubs FTW! 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Having owned both, the Enves by a country mile.

You would say that though wouldn’t you. 🙂

What is it about them that’s so amazing? I used to have wheels that came on my Pitch that were apparently crap. Then got some Merlin built 817 Hope Hoops, now Stans Flow. Had a go on some Mavic Crossmax wheels.

Apart from potential issues of durability/weight – I’ve never noticed any difference in use. I’m not sure I buy the idea that anyone could really tell the difference in a blind test. Is it supposed to be the stiffness?

I can see the advantage in performance with some expensive stuff but as long as wheels go round and don’t break they’ve done their job haven’t they?

Drac

So cheap frame and good wheels it is.

Right going to sell all my bikes now as I’ve got it all wrong.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m not sure I buy the idea that anyone could really tell the difference in a blind test. Is it supposed to be the stiffness?

To be fair, since I’ve not been riding much and have got fat(ter) I can now feel noticeable flex in my Podium wheels, thought I had a puncture the other day when cornering hard, so I can buy into the fact that carbon rims are stiffer. Personally I still struggle with the collosal premium that seems to garner though, particularly when Taiwan is producing some very nice looking carbon rims for 1/5 the price of Enves and the aforementioned Podiums are still lighter than anything Enve do.

chilled76
    Free Member

I’m a teacher so technically do educate the Masses.

I’ll make sure I add a lesson on this to our key stage three schemes of work for next year. Thanks for the heads up…. I Don’t know how my riding might have progressed without your wise words.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Who’s got the Hobnobs? Would you pass one here please?

Hobnob-eater ALERT! Don’t breathe in whilst biting or you’ll choke on the crunchy little bits.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’m a huge stans fan , podiums / race gold on the hardtails
    And arch ex on the enduro , light far cheaper than carbon
    And for me Stiff enough

Maybe it’s the dull looks that put people off

patriotpro
    Free Member

W

ow, much hatred. I’d say its a valid point, much better to spend £300 to upgrade to good wheels rather than the same on purple ti bolts

Agreed but what’s it got to do with anyone else what wheels people ride?

Imagine that’s why the OP has copped for it.

forexpipz
    Free Member

You lot are carnivores. Wasn’t expecting such a heated debate in such a short time frame.

Is it a record?

tomhoward

You lot are carnivores.

Best not get started off down that trail. As evidenced from the last few ‘veggie’ megathreads, this isnt entirely accurate…..

I’d like to know where I stand, I have nice components and hubs on my singlespeed but cheap spokes, relatively heavy (but deliberatly chosen) rims and a cheap frame. When will someone be round to educate/save me?

xiphon
    Free Member

Good trollin’

Cheezpleez

I’m thinking of upgrading the fondue set on my Reign. Can anyone recommend oven-to-tableware to match a top of the range Le Creuset? Ideally in a teal or sunset finish.

riderideride
    Free Member

i always got the best rims/hubs/spokes/tires i could afford, i know about the rolling massive m8

Hareydan
    Free Member

I didn’t want to risk not enjoying myself by riding on crappy wheels, so I took them off just before I went for a spin. To be fair to the OP, my bike did feel a lot lighter but, bizarrely, wasn’t any quicker over my normal training loop. I remain unconvinced…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Wasn’t expecting such a heated debate

I don’t think there’s any heated debate. Pretty much everyone is of the same opinion.

forexpipz
    Free Member

Ok so the delivery was a little clumsy. Sometimes light hearted trolling can be fun.

So i’m not talking to you loosers any more. I’ll only speak to propper bikers.

Single Speeders. lol.

Dismiss the last troll attempt because my next pic will blow everything out of the water.

Have I redeemed myself with that little piece of candy pop?

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Biker ALERT! Get good wheels first not good components.’ is closed to new replies.