Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bike/Packraft routes in wales/england?
  • jim600
    Free Member

Hi all, I’ve just got hold of a packraft – which eventually will be off to scotland/iceland this summer, but I’m looking for somewhere in wales with some decent mtb routes and some water where we can try out the rafts/bike combo – without 8hrs drive up to scotland.

Anyone got any recommendations for resevoirs/lakes/calm water rivers etc where it would be ok to paddle the rafts across? I assume the big resevoirs in mid wales are already assigned to sailing clubs or private?

Thanks

OCB
    Free Member

I can’t … but [maybe] have a look over on Song-Of-The-Paddle.

There is a specific section covering Welsh Paddling places, but if that’s not covered it – if you post a question I’m sure someone will help out. Plenty of people over there cycle too, so might be able to help out with both bits of the question.

😉

jim600
    Free Member

Thanks for the link – I’ll check that out.

Seems as though, similar to mtb trails/bridleways – there are lots of rules/regs/landowners/organisations on where you can/can’t “paddle”.

OCB
    Free Member

*cough cough* (yeah … but only if you ask first).

😛

… ok, being serious tho’ – there is an ongoing question over access in some places. It kinda comes down to questions over interpretation around navigation / riparian rights. Can the water be regarded as owned, or just the land through which it flows ?

There is some perception that there is a paddler vs angler thing going on, but it’s really just the same principle as the drivers vs cyclists thing – just like a lot of car drivers are also cyclists – so lots of paddlers are anglers too – and like the road users issue, the solution will come from finding a way for all recreational water users to share/enjoy the water, not just by having one group push their rights above the rights of others.

Tidal waters are usually fine, (including rivers upto the MHW mark, so in some cases that’s quite a way inland on the top of the tide) but occasional quays / slipways / bits of the foreshore may be in private hands with ‘restrictions’ – but just go up the river a bit and use somewhere else.

Some big inland waterways (lakes / reservoirs) are open for watersports, down here they are run by [the] South West Lakes Trust, but something similar will exist throughout the country.

Canals are usually paddleable, but you do often need to buy a license/registration [sticker] to do so – the costs usually go to help with the cost of maintaining / improving them in the main tho’, so it’s not just a charge for the sake of it.

Some water is absolutely, quite rightfully restricted to preserve wildlife/habitat tho’ (where that’s seasonal, locally negotiated ‘access agreements’ will cover that). Where it’s not (seasonal), as with sensitive land, it’s best left to it’s own thing.

UK Rivers Guidebook is another good resource. They also have a section on Wales (actually sections, Wales is split into N and S).

Scotland is completely different, access there, is far less restricted.

Don’t forget to post pictures.

😀

jim600
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info 😀

Im fairly confident in my ability to ride away from landowners/dogwalkers on the odd cheeky trail – but in a 5ft rubber dinghy I’d be not be going anywhere fast.

Looks like theres a couple of flatwater river areas around shropshire/powys which might be worth a punt. 😀

scotroutes

I see what you did there 😉

Scotland is completely different, access there, is far less restricted.

Yep – same rules as for land. Be sensible* and responsible and you can go wherever you want.

* e.g. don’t try paddling near Faslane

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bike/Packraft routes in wales/england?’ is closed to new replies.