Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bikepacking: where do you put your poles?
  • ahsat

Want to be able to bikepack on both the cx and hardtails. Bought a small Alpkit Possum which fits both and in theory long enough for the 40 cm bearbones poles but they won’t fit in the zip, which has made us wonder where other people put their poles?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

under yer top tube and on top of yer possum, held firm with a couple of strips on velcro, should do the trick, ive also slid poles under the straps on top of my drysack on my bar harness, hth a bit

parkesie
    Free Member

I velcro mine to my top tune aswell.

scotroutes

Yep – I’ve carried mine under the top tube, but usually in the bar bag.

Stu at Bearbones can do custom carbon poles to any length too.

metalheart
    Free Member

Mine fit in my (medium) wildcat ocelot frame bag. Having just measured them they are just 370mm though (which would help). Tent/tarp poles also fit.

As the wee fella says, Stu can make poles any length. Think he has a custom thingee that is only 150mm long(albeit a bit pricey, but easier to fit….) 😀

piemonster

Poles are cheating……. 😉
    I’ve carried them in a bag (made from an old groundsheet) strapped to the downtube with a tarp.

metalheart
    Free Member

I thought tarps were ‘cheating’ (well so says the gospel according to piemonster….). Yer like a broken record 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

my bearbone carbons fit in the left hand side of my wildcat ocelot perfectly.

piemonster

Yer like a broken recor

😆

My next bivvy is custom made from horse hair.

There’ll be hell to pay when I turn up in a tent 😀

Teetosugars
    Free Member

On my front roll.
    In a bag once it’s made..

But you can see where I mean..

superjohn71
    Free Member

Can I ask a dumb question? How do you make sure your bike isn’t nicked while you are tucked up in your tent, as I can’t imagine there is something handy to chain it to out in the wild. Do you just rely on your remote location?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Do you just rely on your remote location

Pretty much this..

The chances of a Scrote that’s out to steal your bike in a rural location is pretty slim I’d guess..
    There’s far easier bikes to nick.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Haven’t you people heard of hotels? Honestly 😕

noltae
    Free Member

I tarp without poles – bike itself can work as a good anchor point . . Hedgerow typically is my preference for attaching either ridgeline or a lean to – with any configuration it’s not too difficult to incorporate your bike into the set up – so as if bike was stolen the whole shelter would have to come down – which i doubt one would sleep through ..

scotroutes

If you’re worried your bike is at risk then you’re camped in the wrong place 🙂

I know that’s easy for me to say as I’m generally pitched in remote locations but that’s all part of the selection process.

ahsat

Thanks all. That’s useful. Looks like we were over thinking it a bit. We are also in the market for a lightweight tent (to give us a bit more options when weather bit more varied) and Terra Nova have just bought out the Starlite with 29 cm long poles which is very tempting! Thanks for advice, looks like we’ll strap them on somewhere else!

mugsys_m8

Anyone ever put them inside the seat-tube? That’s where I carry spare spokes when touring bit of foam to hold them in place, cable tie on them with long tail to fish them out with.

GregMay
    Free Member

Seat tube has spokes, cable ties, Sugru, spare tape.

Poles (when carried) are under TT held on by the Wildcat Ocelot.

kcal

oh, hadn’t thought of seat tube 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

made my poles from some old tent poles so was able to make them an appropriate length to fit in the left pocket of my Ocelot partial frame bag. I also have some custom carbon poles which go in a small bag that fits to the straps of the front bag.

RustySpanner

Teetosugars – Member
    On my front roll.
    In a bag once it’s made..

How about the bag that your seatpost came in?

I was just staring at one hanging on the garage wall as I was reading your post.

Edit – too small for ours.
    Bum.

Carry mine strapped to a rack, btw.

DavidB
    Free Member
    ahsat

Thanks David, that’s what we have in the 3×110 length which make them 40cm long. Think we need to look to some alternatives to the small possum or on the cx bike strap them elsewhere as people have suggested and don’t try and put them in a bag.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

ashat, if it’s any help I can shorten the folded lengths for you if you like … assuming they’re carbon.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking: where do you put your poles?’ is closed to new replies.