Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bikepacking Trips
  • caseygreene
    Free Member

Though you guys would be into some of the trip reports I’ve put up in the last few months:

5 Years of Bikepacking Lookout Towers (writeup w/ map)
    Bikepacking McCall’s Hot Springs (video w/ map)
    Fatbiking West Fork Butte Lookout (magazine layout)
    Bass Pass Packbiking (writeup w/ map)

enjoy,
    – casey

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Fantastic!!!

caseygreene
    Free Member

Thank you 🙂

darrell
    Free Member

great

thanks for this

monksie
    Free Member

Oh my very word. Thia is right up my street. Fantastic. Thank you.

caseygreene
    Free Member

For sure. No prob. Thanks for checking it out!

caseygreene
    Free Member

So, do you guys have any rustic-lookout-style accommodations to overnight at in the UK?

flatfish
    Free Member
    d45yth
    Free Member

Good stuff Casey, I was aware of your videos but not of your blog.

For those of you that are in to bikepacking but never leave this forum: 😛

Bear Bones Bikepacking
    Bikepacking.net
    MTBR – Bikepacking

Cheezpleez

Nice work OP!

caseygreene
    Free Member

Those Bothies look like some really cool old structures. Are they popular places to crash for the night?

d45yth, Ive never seen that Bare Bones Bikepacking site. Thanks for the link.

stayhigh

Well thats going to make my nught shifts more bearable 😉

caseygreene
    Free Member

Now thats something I’m glad I could help out with.

d45yth
    Free Member

I thought someone with more experience of bothies than me might have chipped in by now. Some are better than others and you should always carry other means of shelter in case the bothy is full…you’d be unlucky if it was but a lot could depend on the time of year, how popular the route it’s on is, etc.

scotroutes

Thankfully, they are not TOO popular. In fact, many of the bothies that were too popular have since disappeared as they were being frequented by folk who didn’t really appreciate what they were for, would turn up with massive amounts of booze and would burn everything in sight while leaving them in a mess. Those that remain are largely in remote locations. For many years, the SMBA kept the locations secret. That’s no longer the case as the internet has made it a bit futile. As you never know how full they will be when you get there, having some form of alternative accommodation is sensible although it obviously takes away one of the benefits. Weekends and Bank Holidays in the summer can see them being very full. Midweek winter nights they’ll mostly be empty. You also need to be sociable enough to get on with a bunch of strangers, but that’s half the fun. If you don’t have too far to travel, taking in some fuel for a fire is common.

caseygreene
    Free Member

Nice. I’m going to have to check them out if I make it over there. Your right, half the fun is meeting people. And, the structures themselves look beautiful.

caseygreene
    Free Member

Also, let me know if anyone needs any more info (routing,beta,lookouts,hot springs) around my neck-of-the-woods here in Montana/Idaho.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking Trips’ is closed to new replies.