• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bikepacking the South Downs Way
  • hairylegs
    Free Member

Looking at doing the South Downs Way as two or three day bikepacking trip west to east. Certainly not looking to set any records!

Anyone got any suggestions for overnight bivi spots or got any schedules?

JoB
    Free Member

my back garden’s* about halfway

*not a euphemism

llama

Nice spot for a bivi about half way. After crossing the a24 at washington start the climb up to chanctonbury ring. About half way up the climb on the left there is a gate into a an old quarry (I assume) now grassland. It’s clearly visible on google earth. The pub on the road into washington does OK food too.

We did train to winchester – 9am start from the statue. Lunch at qe2. Pub in washington early evening. Next day we were in eastb by 3pm including a stop at another pub somewhere around Lewes I think.

DrP

or…. make your way across the A24, complete the climb, turn left at the top and cycle about 400m, and you’ll be at chanctonbury ring.
    Lots of trees, great views.
    Let me know when you’re doing it and a few of us may come and Bivi too….

DrP

Or you may be wanting to get away from it all, in which case tell us it’s the 45th of Dovember you’re going or something….

nedrapier

There’s quite a nice spot in the trees east of Devils Dyke. Set up, go and have dinner and a couple of pints and a nightcap before bed.

kimi
    Free Member

i wouldn’t kip at Chanctonbury ring if you paid me…

IHN

As an aside, how hard is it too get back to Winchester from Eastbourne, assuming one only wants to ride one way?

Bez

edit (got confused)

jambalaya
    Free Member

There is a youth hostel below Bignor Hill at Gumber Farm on Monarchs Way, I was quite surprised its something like £25 to pitch a tent there. It’s near the singletrack (I think) in the Whiteway Lodge woods.

@IHN my understanding is most people train to Winchester then train from Eastbourne – maybe park the car somewhere at a train station convenient for both. There is a coastal line but it is slow amd you’ll need a change of train or two

nedrapier

why not, kimi? Is a notorious area for dog walking?

kimi
    Free Member

whilst that wouldn’t surprise me (or necessarily put me off) its not that. It’s always felt pretty creepy to me, i read up on it after the last time i did the SDW and they dug up an old witches coven there… its beautiful in the afternoon, being there at night would creep me out. And its bit windy.

kimi
    Free Member

I’v slept in the Milburys beer garden (having got stuck into a few beers after starting in Winch!) and slept in the porch at the pub on top of Devils dyke during a massive storm. Slept on old Winchester hill and in a few farmers fields along the way.. I don’t think i’v ever done it in less than 3 nights…!

The-Beard

Done numerous bivi’s along the SDW (usually all within a drunken cycle of the pub) but by far the best spot we ever found was just past Ditchling Beacon on the north side of the Downs. Nice and flat with plenty of shelter from the main path and cracking views.

njee20
    Free Member

As an aside, how hard is it too get back to Winchester from Eastbourne, assuming one only wants to ride one way

It’s not hard – either along the coast via Barnham and Southampton, or up to Clapham Junction and down. Both pretty slow though.

kimi
    Free Member

^ lovely.. gonna do it again soon.

llama

Something about that bit of the country on a summer’s evening, it does not get much better

DrP

Ahh… Witches…I see… 😕

DrP

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking the South Downs Way’ is closed to new replies.