Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Bikepacking query – spare footwear
  • druidh
    Free Member

Just wondering what folk do about additional/evening footwear when they are on longer trips? I’ve gone with lightweight trainers or sandals in the past but either option is fairly bulky.

Someone (molgrips?) posted a photo of some folding, lightweight shoes a while back, I’ve not seen anything like that again.

MSP

You could go for some plimsoles, or some merrel barefoot, vibram 5 fingers if you really want to splash out on technical kit.

Personally i would just prefer some cycle shoes with a little flex in them, specialized rhime or lake mx102 type thing.

fasthaggis

My spd shoes are very comfy,so I don’t tend to take anything else.
    I have used a light pair of ninja style plimsoles ,that I got from the TK of Maxx.
    Not really good to be seen in ,or if it’s very wet ,but I don’t care too much how I look when I is touring. 🙂

kcal

in the past I’ve used a pair of Crocs (or croc-a-likes) – simply strapped them to the outside of the bikepack, weigh f* all, dry easily, cheap.

Martin.B
    Free Member

Crocs here also. Not fashionalbe but do the job

vorlich
    Free Member

My Mavic Switchbacks with clean/dry socks and a goretex oversock. Large sandwich bags would also work.

drain

Likewise croc-a-likes, wedged wherever they can fit or just strapped outside! £4 off Amazon 😀

theotherjonv

flip flops. End.

MSP

IMO, its easy to get carried away with lots of little extras that just keep adding to the bulk and weight of your kit, keep it simple, forget the extras and the riding is much more fun.

Matt_SS_xc

ive always gone for flip flops but Sanuk shoes (well technically sandals!)are worth a look, super comfy and take up same space as a flip flop

BlindMelon
    Free Member

What about these snazzy numbers – no one will ever point and laugh

http://www.timberlandonline.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-TBLGB-Site/default/Search-Show?q=radler

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Neoprene beach shoes weigh nowt, pack pretty small, aren’t bothered by wet grass, etc and dry quickly, oh and they’re also quite warm.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Shoes ?

Either my shimano mw01s i was riding in or barefoot

druidh
    Free Member

BlindMelon – that’s a variation of the one I was thinking about!

13thfloormonk

I got carried away and bought some Salomon Cross Race fell running shoes, things of lightweight luminous beauty and were useful for climbing Suilven during my last bikepack! They’re also now covered in paint from a bothy workparty I stumbled upon en route.

I’ve fallen in love with the Merrel Barefoots (the orange ones with the vibram soles) but think the price is taking the pee a little bit, just waiting for the sales now!

Got caught by a flatmate ‘cutting down’ my flip flops to better fit in my saddlebag. I confirmed their worst suspicions by mentioned as a half joke that ‘it would also make them lighter..’ 😳

MussEd
    Free Member

Tipsy Feet? – just lose the bag and you’re away!

druidh
    Free Member

13fm – I considered the cut-down flip-flops…. 😳

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I confirmed their worst suspicions by mentioned as a half joke that ‘it would also make them lighter

LOL! I saw you on sunday btw, heading past Bruntsfield on the bike.

For our month long tour, i had my mtb shoes plus a pair of merrell sandals. Problem with going for sandals/flip flops was a) when it got a bit colder up in the mountains = cold feet and b) some camp sites had bitey insects = wanting to cover up skin completely. So Mustard picked me up some cheap pumps from decathlon one night (after we’d been looking for a decathlon for about 2 weeks during the trip!), they were super light, folded up to nothing and were purple. Not the most stylish but did the job.

PS, coffee at ours soon to catch up?

honourablegeorge

Those Teva Mush Frio shoes are daft light, but still shoes, worth a look

woody2000

I just bought some Teva Mush for the same reason. Light, and you can, well, mush ’em up and stuff them in. Comfy too, my only gripe is that the soles seem to have some kind of fabric on them, which obviously looks tatty as soon as you go outside in them. Pulls off easily enough mind.

If you subscribe to Amazon’s clothing emails, you can get 20% off too 🙂

Teva Mush

Rik
    Free Member

Teva Mush here too – unbelievably comfy and pack down small. Not ridiculously expensive either compared to some barefoot trainers – think I paid £35

headfirst
    Free Member

Currently for on-road bike touring I take my slip-on Vans, and wear them with SealSkin socks if the ground is wet. On a tour last year I wore my waterproof walking boots and rode in. Neither option is perfect I think I’ll treat myself to some lace-up low-key mtb/touring spd shoes soon.

The latest CTC magazine (at home) has some new Teva’s in which pack down small, maybe they’re the Mush woody’s talking about^^^

woody2000

headfirst – they’re the ones 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Another vote for flipflops if there’s any risk of having to use them outside. Mrs S and I used flipflops on “that trip”. took no space at top of saddle bag.

ALternatively, TNF do something goppingly ugly, but a functional slipper
    The “nuptse”

trail_rat
    Free Member

The nuptse would be naff all use in wet grass. Mrs tr has a pair , horrible things but do pack small

headfirst
    Free Member

Woody, I’ve bought a pair of those you link too. They look like they are my favourite pair of shoes already!

It’s been a productive day at work today: also bought a Wallace & Grommit foska jersey at a knock-down price!

(If you see my wife, please don’t mention either of these purchases – they will be ‘phased in’ at a later date)

Stoner
    Free Member

indeed – wouldnt want to use one outdoors, hence flip flop.

for indoors (camper van) I like the cheap nasty cotswold outdoors shaggy slip on booty thingy.

actually that reminds me of something else I have. Bought by my sisterinlaw. A waterproof shaggy slip on booty thingy. Great for yomping around a campsite and snuggy for inside too. Its called a bivvy boot, but I cant find any web links, need to hunt…

this kid of thing, but mine was made by a man in a shed
    http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?ItmID=9152372

headfirst
    Free Member

(oops)

nikk
    Free Member

Cheap flip-flops. Cost a pint of beer, they are as light as is possible to get, pack as small as possible, let feet breathe after a days riding, doesn’t matter if they get wet.

Also useful for padding packraft against bike. And swatting clegs. Win win win.

jameso

Shoes ?

Either my shimano mw01s i was riding in or barefoot

That’s the spirit )

I’ve taken flip-flops before but now it’s either keep the riding shoes on, or barefoot. Flip flops are ok if you’ll spend much time indoors like a credit card tour but limited value for bivi bike trips imo.

poly
    Free Member

I’ve just used bike shoes. Anything else would mean a bigger bag which means a heavier bag, and also would let me slip more crap I don’t really need in there. A friend is still getting slagged 2 yrs later for bringing his slippers on a trip… …he did wear them between the B&B and the pub though…

Wozza
    Free Member

+1 For Tiva Mush Frio, they’re daft light and very comfy. I have a size 8-uk pair like below worn once to the shops before I decided I didn’t like the colour and got a different set if you want to make us an offer.

Edric64
    Free Member

I just wear the same spd shoes day and night .When you have size 14 feet spare footwear takes up a whole pannier

user-removed
    Free Member

On a three week tour of the west coast of Scotland, I had a pair of el-cheapo folding kayaking shoes. They could basically be rolled in a ball, or folded almost flat, weighed nothing and were good on rainy days – they were mesh-topped so the water just went straight through them. Not warm and useless for midge days, but they were perfect as an emergency pair of shoes.

RRD
    Free Member

Got to be Birkenstocks

I reckon you want a sandal/flip flop as youy will want to “air” your feet after a long day in riding shoes. Yes a littel bit of bulk but worth it for the comfort factor. Unfortunately if it gets chilly you will be wearing socks and sandals… Which isn’t neccessarily a look I recommend.

In terms of travelling light there are a few things that you should NEVER scrimp on: Sleeping Bag, warm kit, waterproofs and footwear

99percentchimp
    Free Member

one moment
    Druid,
    These any good to you… seem to tick my boxs for river crossing etc and roll up small, come in a colour to suit (stealth to lairy) and are biodegradeable to boot. HTH.
    Mark

zoota

Croc a likes too.
    they serve multiple uses for me
    kneeling pad as i have a bad knee.
    Quick drying on stream crossings.
    Wearing around camp & they are easy to slip on when i have to jump out my hammock to go toilet in the night.
    Some times i use them as protective buffers in my bags or shoulder pad when its hike a bike time

CraigW
    Free Member

Not tried them yet, but I’m looking at Jingas: http://www.jingashop.com/
    They are very lightweight, and squash down small. And about smart enough for going to the pub etc.

flashes
    Free Member

Espadrilles…………..(not sure how you spell them, but pretty light)

drain

Mmmm – liking zoota’s idea of using croc-alikes as padding for hike-a-bike, good one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking query – spare footwear’ is closed to new replies.