Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bikepacking Lakes with5 year old
  • anagallis_arvensis

Anyone any ideas for a wild camping spot that can be relatively easily cycled to? Fancy a trip with my son this summer.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Somewhere on Blawith Common. Maybe Beacon Tarn? Just because it’s a quiet area of the Lakes. Everywhere is really busy ATM.

anagallis_arvensis

Beacon tarn looks good. Will dig out some maps later.

Junkyard
    Free Member

UP to kentmere ressie from Staveley- straight up a road basically – some minor climbing – one minor downhill

Proper mountain views and only 4 miles from civilisation if they hate it

E-mail me for route details though its impossible to get lost/go wrong.

Not many tress though if you want a fire.

Stonewaithe – Borrowdale

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=327260&y=512930&z=120&sv=327260,512930&st=4&ar=y&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=718&ax=327260&ay=512930&lm=0

Mainly thinking of places that are flattish to get to but give proper lakes views and easy escape to civilisation

If you fancy company – two lads aged 10 and 8 then also mail me as I will be going again this year.

Depends how remote you want

Black sails YHA is a good one to start to as you have to think of what they can cycle to tbh

anagallis_arvensis

Kentmere resivoir sounds good. We only need a couple of baracuda for tea.
    Can you camp at Black Sail? What about Skiddaw house? He really wants to camp!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nah but given its location no one is really going to stop you so just camp in that general area

Wanting to camp and enjoying camping are not necessarily the same thing 😉

anagallis_arvensis

Wanting to camp and enjoying camping are not necessarily the same thing

I expect you are right, hence ride in late and leave early. If we went to Kentmere we can get breakfast in Wilfs

TomB

Perfect spot would be from littletown, Newlands valley, head south past the mountaineering hut towards dale head tarn, camp before the track goes uphill in a beautiful spot by the stream, walk up to the tarn if you have the energy. Could arrange to have breakfast at littletown farm cafe in morning.

hanchurch
    Free Member

Looking for the same thing with somewhere safe to leave the car for a couple of nights.

anagallis_arvensis

I was also thinking somewhere along the old coach road, can park at the eastern end

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Beacon Tarn; it’s certainly a looker. Good for a swim in the morning aswell. Camped up there a few times in my youth. Never seen anyone else.

thekettle
    Free Member

You can camp at Skiddaw House, easiest approach is the Bridleway from Threlkeld. Other approaches involve more climbing and potentially serious terrain with a 5 yr old. A trip up Gatesgarth Pass would also work well. Go as far as you feel inclined, pitch tent and retrace your steps in the morning. Very secluded.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As a follow up to Junky’s suggestion the pub in Stonewaite is good. Had a very pleasant beer or two there after doing Scarfell Pike via Corridor Route

anagallis_arvensis

Camping at Skiddaw house seemscthe best bet so far. Ok not really wild camping but with a 5 year old it might be best

ianfitz
    Free Member

For the shortest ride to awesomely beautiful ratio Claife heights just north of Near Storey would be on my list. Either a 2 or 3 km gentle climb from the village or for added adventute park up in Windermere and take the cable ferry over. Bit of a pull up the road to get to storey but eat ice cream until all the cars have left the ferry and its deserted until the next ferry rolls in.

Editted Claife heights not Claire!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking Lakes with5 year old’ is closed to new replies.