Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bikepacking-ish bike for about a grand – suggestions?
  • stevious

My trusty rockhopper is starting to get a bit of multiple component failure so I might be in the market for something more modern to replace it with. It’s a 2006 model with 26″ wheels, straight steerer, etc so I’m weighing up whether to replace the bike or the bits. I’m a bit out of touch with what’s about/ what’s good these days, so some advice on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

The bike’s main job will be supervising DofE walking groups. Not much technical stuff there, but there can be a surprising amount of distance done, and some stuff that I’d find a chore without some front suspension. Will sometimes be loaded with bikepacking stuff.

So priorities:
    – About a grand. Likely C2W purchase
    – Short travel hardtail
    – Light rather than burly
    – Am wheel size agnostic but suspect a 29er might be what I’m looking for.
    – Big gear range – sometimes have to shoulder a kid’s exped pack.
    – No drop bar nonsense. I have a CX bike already.

Thanks in advance.

scotroutes

Pinnacle Ramin 3?

stevious

Thanks Scotroutes, looks like the kinda thing. Keep the ideas coming!

sambob
    Free Member

Genesis High Latitude?

davros

Sonder frontier? not sure if they do C2W though…

I’ve got a high latitude, really enjoyed it over the winter months. It’s been discontinued now, but there may be some 2016 models around.

stevious

The sonder is 1×11. Not sure if I want to discount 1×11 bikes or not – will they have enough gear range for me?

rOcKeTdOg

If you are just riding non technical stuff don’t discount a rigid fork. It’ll be easier to load stuff onto & leave you more cash tobsoend on bits/bags. Singular swift is a great bike for trails & tours

ton

any of the reba equipped Cube 29” hardtails.
    good choice starting at £599 up to £999. very good vfm.

jimdubleyou

Trek Superfly or maybe Genesis Longitude (bit left field).

stevious

Thanks for the thoughts all.

I have the bikepacking bags already, and definitely want suspension. Have ridden lots of the trails on rigid and didn’t enjoy it.

If I’m being totally rational I should probably just stick with the ‘hopper for as long as I can find forks and wheels.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you think Sram 1×11 (10t-42t cassette) would offer sufficient gear range?

If so, look at the Boardman Pro 29er. Good trail/xc geometry, great spec and often discounted (plus potential for BC or C-UK extra 10% off).

In fact, drop me a line if you’re interested in a 19in “rolling chassis” of frame/fork/wheels.

NormalMan

Do you like the Rockhopper you have?

The latest version is a 29er.

heliuscc
    Free Member

sonder was v popular at the dorset gravel dash.

I was really impressed with it

shermer75
    Free Member

If I’m being totally rational I should probably just stick with the ‘hopper for as long as I can find forks and wheels.

This would be normally be my answer but I have found (from commuting) that if you put enough mileage into aluminium it will eventually break. I mention this because you were saying about covering a fair bit of distance in the OP 🙂

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus crackin bike for the money, managed to get mine on sale for around £630 🙂 .. its gone up this year but still a great bikepacking bike

burko73

you might not need suspension with plus size wheels… my longitude is great on anything as long as you’re not at full pelt on a rocky downhill.

we all used to cope without suspension though….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking-ish bike for about a grand – suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.