Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Bikepacking help
  • DrP

I’d let the frame bag go for £15 posted… Bargain I know!
    It’s been on 3 trips so far – has been great! I just fancy making another slightly different one!
    DrP

scandal42
    Free Member

If op isnt interested I would be DrP.

I have a medium Scandal, should fit?

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Hi DP

I will take it and give it a try.

My email is rowlapa@btinternet.com drop me a note so we can sort out payment details

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Another question for you all

Meths burner or Hexi cooker?

vorlich
    Free Member

Pleased with my Alpkit gear and revelate harness. Framebag looks a bit dodgy in this photo, but it was designed/fitted for my Scandal. Seat pack is next on the list.

Cheezpleez

I’ve made two frame bags, a seat pack and bar harness from heavyweight PU-coated polyester from Pennine Outdoor fabrics. It’s pretty heavy duty and stiff enough to give a bit of form to whatever it is you’re making. Not as light as the fancy materials use by Wildcat, etc but has worked very well for me.

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Cheezpleez is that an on one inbred 29er with a 16″ frame? Just wondering as my bike is still only at the frame and drivetrain stage.

bokonon
    Free Member

I used this fabric for mine:

http://www.abakhan.co.uk/fabric/multi-purpose/water-repellent-pu-coated-grey-150cm.html

It’s damn good, and very cheap compare to the P18 stuff.

On the bike here:

epicyclo

While custom built is nice, if you search for Ibera frame bags on eBay, you can buy one for around £15.

Fit isn’t as tidy, but £15 is cheap.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

^^ that’s what I used, lined it with some other lighter waterproof stuff from the abakhan off cuts bin.

Cheezpleez

@ Rowlapa1974 – it’s an 18 Inbred.

beerbiker
    Free Member

If you need custom made bike packing gear with a ‘green’ touch then Judy is your girl. She can do you full frame bags, Salsa Anything cage bags all made from used inner tubes & old brewery malt sacks. Any doubts check out Gerard De Bruin who used her bags on the Rovaniemi 150 in Finland & loved them. http://www.beerbabe.co.uk

DrP

Rowlapa…
    Will email once my mental child is at the Childminder…. (Which should be 10 min ago..)

DrP

emanuel
    Free Member

good call on the bike bivi group on fb.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

^ good call on good call, just looked that group up it looks ace.

soulbrother99
    Free Member

Thanks have had a look for dimension polyant fabric but can find any other than from that place in Germany and it is very expensive 🙁 . what would be the next best thing then?

p.s The anything cages look interesting not sure how they attach to bike though? 😕

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The anything cages look interesting not sure how they attach to bike though

They fit on the bottle bosses.. Salsa spec three on their forks/ down tubes..

soulbrother99
    Free Member

OK only have some on my down tube and would get in way with framebag 🙁

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Could you not bodge something with Jubilee Clips around the forks? http://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/products/original/

vorlich
    Free Member

Cable ties perfectly servicable. Just don’t overload it, I use mine for my tarp.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

While custom built is nice, if you search for Ibera frame bags on eBay, you can buy one for around £15.

Fit isn’t as tidy, but £15 is cheap.
    +1

My although mine fit’s much nicer, I giess that’s an odd sized frame and a small/medium bag?

Also got a set of cheep drybags from on-one, and some brightly coloured webbing/straps off ebay. Total cost so far << half the price of one branded frame bag.

RRD
    Free Member

Is the Eastern European manufacturer still doing bike bags?

jameso

Med Possum that someone asked about earlier – 23″ ETT frame.

emanuel
    Free Member

on that jones you could put two thin long bags along the strut fork,zipties should do it.
    why not a single full framebag plus bladder?

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

for those making their own, how did you seal your seams?

soulbrother99
    Free Member

seamseal tape seems the obvious one -http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/seamseal-tape-pu-coated

bokonon
    Free Member

I’ve got some seamtape (stripped from an old waterproof and some sealant) to add to mine eventually, but it’s not currently taped. That said, it’s got very wet in the past, and only a small amount of water has got in.

jameso

on that jones you could put two thin long bags along the strut fork,zipties should do it.

You could but I try to keep weight off the front as much as possible. PR make some cool truss fork bags, £££ tho.

why not a single full framebag plus bladder?

I’ve not quite figured out how to do that without the emptying bladder creating space and rattles / loose packing, and for this trip I didn’t need that much space generally. But it’s probably the best compromise. I’ve used a full bag with a 800ml bottle in the top in the past, works ok. Maybe I’ll try a 2l plastic bottle with a hose next.
    Not a big fan of this side-access bottle set up after the last trip, it’s ok but not as easy to use when you need to stay at a pace or on rough ground. Main aim this time was not to need a camelback and that was a good experience.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

I’ve got some seamtape (stripped from an old waterproof and some sealant) to add to mine eventually, but it’s not currently taped. That said, it’s got very wet in the past, and only a small amount of water has got in.

cool, was wondering whether i could get away with not sealing a fuel tank style bag and keeping anything vital (phone) in a separate waterproof case. Probably reasonably safe if i design the top to be covered.

I can see how seam tape works on flat seams but not sure how easy/effective it is to do for sharp angled seams or corners etc.. suspect a right arse.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

Haven’t taped mine, whatever goes in it will be bagged or already waterproof.

Cheezpleez

IME sealing right angle seams on heavy duty fabric is a pain in the arse. I haven’t bothered. Anything that needs to be completely dry goes in a separate drybag.

acehtn
    Free Member

rowlapa1974 meths burner/hexi cooker.

Never really done meths, watched a few torch tents with leaky fuel and careless practice.
    Have never costed out meths over gas.

Meths can be put out easily in trianga type burner units, small, easy to carry, easy to light, easy to get fuel for.

Hexi cookers or non MOD the Esbit solid fuel cookers. Not as versitile as meths but on a par for cooking, hand full of dirt/sand puts out a fuel block, needs more care for scorching (try cooking inside a tent with Hexi/Esbit 🙂 )
    Harder to find fuel than Meths & gas.

Consider alcohol gel cookers, although finding fuel can be tricky compared to meths/gas.

Done Hexi/Alcohol, MOD and Civvy, it works with drawbacks, Esbit burners are silly light.

Gas. Easy to get cans, loads of choice on burners, clean burn, easy to use, works well within UK climate (not so at extreme sub zero temps or high altitude)

Gas for me, drawbacks, weight and volume of gas cans, offset by fast clean burn times, with “care” can be used inside a ventilated tent.
    Safe and easy to use, loads of choice on burners, even the cheap MSR Pocket Rocket clones are good, just don’t expect a 10-20year hard use life span from clones.

Petrol-multifuel burners, for serious subzero climates or extreme altitude and third world adventures where finding gas cans and meths may be a major issue.

Set a budget, set a useage area. Do you need ultra light weight ? can you live with the limits of that cook system ?

Gas is bulky in volume, but quick and easy to use, fairly clean, easy to pick up fuel and work with.

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Acehtn

That’s the sort info all threads could do with. I use a jetboil for my normal camping/work, but as you say it’s the size of cookers/gas canisters ect. Found some gel fuel in a local outdoor shop but no cooker to put it into as yet. Had a look at the trianga burners and looks a nice compact option.

acehtn
    Free Member

Hmmm jetboils, squaddies love em, brill for boil in the bag rat pack food, and now some aftermarket available hanging options, so you can hang the cooking system inside a vehicle/plane/boat/hammock basha or even a rock climbing wedge next to your tent that is also hanging off the side of a mountain 🙂

It’s a case of buying what’s best for you for where you are.
    I am in the UK, so gas is the easy option. Would love a Jetboil, but deep down i feel i need the option of being able to dump a pot on a couple of rocks with wood burning underneath. So far never happened.

Pro’s and Con’s to all systems. Meths never done it, hexi and alcohol gel, cheap, safe to carry, hexi can be a pain to light sometimes, alcohol easy, gas just wins for me, more bulk but more ease of use.

Went alcohol decades ago but couldn’t get fuel. Still have a 20+year old Firestar cooker, about the size of a tin of bacon grill, bayonet the lid off, spark up the gel and boil away in the old 1/2 pint enamel mug i replaced my mess tins with, Firestar fitted in the mug too, bounus to that system was this, when the gel had burnt off, fill the tin with dirt/sand, then add petrol, it becomes a liquid fuel burner, bit dirty but works, when done drop lid back on, smother flames, easier than a hexi to light and control.
    Went to an MSR Pocket Rocket years ago, it will out last a clone, bought Mrs Ace one of those little Ti gas burner units, really good performance, uses a bit more gas, but it works fast and about half the weight of my Pocket Rocket.

Some of the gear out there now…. so much choice, the end user can really fine tune what they want or need, 7g esbit burner or 50g gas burner ? set your budget and choose what you fancy.

Gas in 100/125/230/250/500gram containers a 250 is lighter than 2x125g, i use 250g with a 100/125 slipped in somewhere as a backup, beyond that it Ray Mears time and stick the pot on a wood fire, assuming i can get one going 🙂

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Thanks again Acehtn loads of great info and help.

Also many thanks to everyone else who has taken the time to pass on there idea’s and info

seosamh77
    Free Member

For cooking I just use gas. But chucking a frying pan on an open fire can’t be beat! 🙂 obviously not always practical, but for my fair weather camping, ideal!

noltae
    Free Member

Snowpeak Titanium Solo Cookset /MSR Micro Rocket – I love this setup !

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

RE: Stoves – They won’t suit everyone but if low weight and small packsize are important you should be able to get your cooking set down to below 100g excluding fuel.

8g meths stoves

soulbrother99
    Free Member

Regarding diy framebags has any one got any experience with alpkit’s “webbing ladder” type setup for frame attachment?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking help’ is closed to new replies.