Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Bikepacking help
  • rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Just started to build up a on one inbred 29er as a bikepacking bike.

Can anyone recommend company’s/shops for bags and hardware please.

rOcKeTdOg

for made to measure and the good feeling of recycling stuff http://www.beerbabe.co.uk does unique work

gazerath
    Free Member

recommend Wildcat for def saddle, as just set mine up.

Was mightily impressed with beer babes bags when I saw them at a race, in Feb.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Just got a load of AlpKit stuff through myself, incidentally also for an Inbred 29er. Will be able to comment on it all in a few weeks, but no chance to use it this side of exams 😀

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Great! Thanks for the info so far.

Alpkit looks good Daniel what size is you inbred?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Rocketdog, liking the look of that, how has it stood up to use compared to cordura style fabric bags?

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Rocket dog

Looks like you have two zippers on the bag, so is there a divider?

seosamh77
    Free Member

lidl? :mrgreen:

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

No! Not the old carrier bag on the handle bars trick, that cost me a broken elbow and two weeks in hospital!

seosamh77
    Free Member

rowlapa1974 – Member
    No! Not the old carrier bag on the handle bars trick, that cost me a broken elbow and two weeks in hospital!

All camping stoves and stuff too, in fairness, the carrier bag was just food and water etc, so was getting emptied and disposed off as ye go.

double bagging is the trick there! 😀

danielgroves
    Free Member

Alpkit looks good Daniel what size is you inbred?

It’s a large, frame bag is the 6cm (widest) model. Fuel pod is a medium. I also have the Mk.1 of these on the way to mount an MSR fuel bottle on the bottom of the down tube.

rOcKeTdOg

It’s not my frame bag but I have 3 smaller beerbabe frame bags and 1 is 18 months old & shows no wear and is waterproof

Judy from beerbabe is racing fat bikes in Holland at the mo iirc but I’m sure she cab answer any questions when she’s done

doh
    Free Member

Like my relevate saddle bag but pretty pricey compared with the other options these days and I was about 4 months between ordering and delivery.

Wouldn’t bother with a bar roll again a couple of good straps threaded through some old sections of inner tube for grippage work much better.
    Not tried a frame bag yet but use a couple of old fashioned triangle bags (one upside down going from top tube to seat post )to carry a reasonable amount of stuff and still use a bottle.
    Alpkit extra drybags with the straploops are a very good buy as well.

composite
    Free Member

Wildcat harness on the front.
    No Logo bikepacking frame bag and top tube bag.
    Alpkit feedbag on the stem.
    bikepack.eu saddle bag.

If you can afford it go wild cat everything but if you have a more modest budget then the No Logo frame bag is made to measure and IMO better quality than the alpkit stuff.
    The bikepack.eu stuff is nicely made but I’m not 100% sure that Pawl is making bags anymore even though the web site is still online.

emanuel
    Free Member

I’m working on a new mounting solution with Porcelain Rocket, for a bikepacking specific 650b fully rigid steel bike I’m building,
    http://revanchebikeco.wordpress.com/2014/04/26/into-the-wild-a-650b-rambler-bicycle-with-porcelain-rocket/

Scott is a great guy to work with, and his quality is top notch.

Though you might want to wait and see what we’ve come up with…

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Emanuel

Great looking frames and loads of info on the revanchebike co site

kayak23

Some good stuff knocking about on Bike and Bivi Facebook group.

acehtn
    Free Member

If i could on here i would send Seosamh77 some rep points 🙂

Keeping it real, keeping it budget, keeping most likely to what my first attempt will look like.

I assume the over the bars in soft mud was a soft landing 🙂

emanuel
    Free Member

thanks rowlapa1974, hope to put some finished pics up soon.
    tho I think this project will be a long one..the good ones always are.
    The old framebags were really elegant, I’m hoping to do something as nicely integrated, as well as practical
    without them weighing a ton, like full leather ones.
    Really happy to be collaborating with Scott, as he’s quite simply one of the best framebag makers.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

I’ve been making my framebag based on link in thread here in Jan/Feb, project stall waiting on sewing machine fix, but it looked a bit like this at first.

then like this, just zipper side to finish and fit now.

Great fun and learning making own.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

^ it’s a very rough cut prototype btw!

emanuel
    Free Member

it’s good for a 1st attempt, you should have seen my first brazed joint..

rhbrhb
    Free Member

^ pics? cheers tho, when the other side panel is on it shouldn’t look so baggy either, else v2.0 will have corex inserts!

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Rhbrhb

liking the home made frame and on an inbred frame

farawayvisions
    Free Member

My partner and I use 13L Alpkit dry bags on wildcatgear handlebar systems. We also have Wildcatgear seat packs with 8L dry bags. Dan has a fuel tank (can’t find the brand) the ‘Ocelot’ which is a partial frame bag that fits under the top tube from Wildcatgear. We also have Alpkit Stem Cells. I’ve just posted a review of the stem cells over on my blog and will be uploading reviews of gear we have over the next few weeks.
    A full frame bag has been ordered from Wildcatgear, but be aware there is a wait of up to 8 weeks for one of these as they are made to measure.

noltae
    Free Member

The overall weight of kit strapped to most bikes doesn’t seem enough to warrant being encumbered with so many little bags and straps – just ride with a 40 – 60 litre pack – first time I did couldn’t believe how easy I found riding with around 12kg – for seriously long expeditions this may not work but for long weekends I think a.backpack is good enough … Plus if one finds any fun sections along route you can just take your pack off and ride rather than fiddling arround with all that Velcro !

KZP894
    Free Member

Here’s my offering. Surly Ogre. Home made front roll, frame bag, Revelate Piccolo seat pack, Salsa Anything cages.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nrfuLz]DSC_0738[/url] by KZP894, on Flickr

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

The overall weight of kit strapped to most bikes doesn’t seem enough to warrant being encumbered with so many little bags and straps – just ride with a 40 – 60 litre pack – first time I did couldn’t believe how easy I found riding with around 12kg – for seriously long expeditions this may not work but for long weekends I think a.backpack is good enough … Plus if one finds any fun sections along route you can just take your pack off and ride rather than fiddling arround with all that Velcro !

I find riding distance with much weight in a pack an unpleasant experience.

Having gear lashed to the bike puts it lower and gives better weight distribution and handling when riding off road.

Dropping gear to ride a section and then going back to pick it up seems a waste of time, IMO.

Each to their own 😎

KZP894
    Free Member

Riding with a heavy rucksack is just nasty. Riding with a 60L rucksack?!

I remember trips on Dartmoor in the late 90’s carrying rucksacks, apart from the handling issues every time you get out of the saddle you’re got that extra weight to lift.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Here’s my offering. Surly Ogre.

Now *That* is beyond beautiful.

DrP

What size inbred do you have?

I might let my DIY frame bag go if you’ve a medium frame – want to have a go at making another one!

DrP

seosamh77
    Free Member

acehtn – Member
    If i could on here i would send Seosamh77 some rep points

Keeping it real, keeping it budget, keeping most likely to what my first attempt will look like.

I assume the over the bars in soft mud was a soft landing I do have ambition to improve, but aye, seem to be working well, and has cost me a fiver for a set of bungee cords!

the otb, was fine, was a slow mo otb and a soft landing, was giggling for about an hour after it, so one of the good ones! :mrgreen:

miketually
    Free Member

I’d really like an Alpkit Possum to use between my 56cm Cotic X and my 18″ Inbred. Based on length, the medium should fit in both frames, but I’m not sure with the Inbred’s much tighter frame triangle.

Is anyone running a medium Possum on an 18″ Inbred frame?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

just ride with a 40 – 60 litre pack

Just how much stuff are you taking?

riding with around 12kg

Ah yes … 3 x too much 😉

soulbrother99
    Free Member

hi i’m thinking of making my own framebag once exams are over 😕 i was looking at this fabric-
    http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/fabrics/medium-and-heavy-weight-weather-resistant-fabrics/p19-texturised-nylon

is this suitable? also just wondering what stiches to use etc. i have very little sewing experience any help would be appriciated.

Nezbo
    Free Member

I have a AlpKit on for one bike and I have a WildCat on my On-One Scandal, they are both good.

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

DrP.

My inbred frame is 16″ so might be a little large? But how much you thinking of for the bag?

KZP894
    Free Member

Soulbrother99, I made my frame bag (see previous photo) using the P18 fabric from Penine Outdoor. Alpkit et al. use Dimension Polyant fabric, which seems rather hard to get hold of in this country (any ideas anyone?) and is quite expensive from what I understand. I used a 4mm closed cell foam to pad the edges which I lined internally with P13 Nylon from Penine Outdoor. A single compartment bag is much easier to construct that the double compartment bags. As far as stitches just use a straight stitch and then reinforce that with a zigzag (if that makes sense). The main thing is to think it through really carefully, mark up your fabric and cut it precisely and make sure you know how you are going to work the details – zips etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking help’ is closed to new replies.