Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bikepacking content – hydropack in frame bag
  • ajt123
    Free Member

Hi, am getting into bike-packing / off-road touring.

Am going to get an alpkit sting-ray from my bike, plan to put a hydration pack in there.

Any thoughts about placement of the tube for accessibility, is it a faff and not worth it? Any recommendations of the best hydration bladder

Doing some quite long days this summer and want to keep (some) of the weight out of my back-pack.

Bit of a sad post. Analysis paralysis. At least not about tyres. Sorry. Alex

AlasdairMc

Do you need to carry that much water? How likely are you to find streams? I use an Alpkit Stem Cell for a water bottle and never bother with a bladder as it keeps the weight down.

40mpg

Seems a bit of a faff/waste of storage space. Perhaps consider a couple of Stem Cells

Beerbabe also does some very nice ones – as per the bike in the centre here:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/r95PdF]P3016522[/url] by Allan, on Flickr

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ajt123
    Free Member

Some days I will be doing 40 milers, thinking 5 litres to carry with me.

My dakine take 3, so want to put 2 litres on the bike.

Aren’t these ones on the bar a bit fiddly?

Alex

johnnystorm

Do you really need 5 litres *all* the time?

A 500ml bottle and Oasis steritabs/Taps/Spar saw me sorted for water for the 350 miles between Llandudno and Swansea.

Take a Traveltap bottle and just fill up wherever you find water. Sounds crackers carrying 5 kilos of ballast unless you’re in the Sahara.

scotroutes

Where are you cycling that you need 5 litres of water for 40 miles?

BillOddie

If you really need all that water then MSR Dromlite bladders are a good choice as they are super sturdy.

ajt123
    Free Member

What can I say, I get thirsty!

Dunno, maybe over thinking it. On the SDW 100 I probably had 6 or 7 litres, albeit a lot of the riding was early morning.

Thanks for the recommendation BillOddie

nedrapier

And that’s 100 miles. 2/5ths of that, 2 and a bit litres?

Guzzle a pint or pint and a half before you leave a tap in the morning, and you’ll probably be fine for the first 10 without a sip.

Edit – sorry, just seen the overnight bit. I’d spend more planning time on where you’re going to find water, and possibly what to purify with, if you’re not seeing taps or pubs or shops.

And less time on how to carry 11lbs of water! 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Where in this country can you go for 40 miles and not find water (apart from London 🙄 )?

If the area you are in is sparsely inhabited then you are going to find a shop or tap, if it’s remote then the water in the streams and rivers is more than likely safe.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If the area you are in is sparsely inhabited then you are going to find a shop or tap, if it’s remote then the water in the streams and rivers is more than likely safe

Doesn’t even need to be that remote, if the sun’s out and the water’s clear and flowing then it’s probably good to drink.

damascus
    Free Member

I use a sawyer water filter. Really small, weighs less than 100g (when wet)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261807249721&alt=web

As above, 1 kilo per litre. I try to hydrate as much as possible before I ride and source water on the move.

If I struggle to find water due to livestock etc then I just knock on a door and ask for water.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking content – hydropack in frame bag’ is closed to new replies.