Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bikepacking buddies wanted!
  • dreamnought
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m new to the forums. I’m really interested in getting into bikepacking and I’m looking for some peeps to go off into the Scottish wilderness and ride some great singletrack with. I’m saving for a decent bike at the moment (Canyon Spectral likely) after selling my flatland BMX a few years back and so I imagine it’d realistically be the other side of winter before I’m ready to go – this was originally so my mates could also save for kit but I’ve only recently learned that almost none are interested anymore or are only keen on road biking. I thought it was worth asking around early just incase anyone here was interested and hadn’t considered it until now.

To give a bit of background, I’m 28, based in Ayrshire and I’m reasonably fit. I’d be thrilled with at least one overnighter a month (weather permitting) and maybe the odd 3-4 dayer (or whatever) thrown in on occasion but I’m open to anything you can manage. I have tons of camping gear so it’s really the biking side of things I need to supplement any trips. I don’t drive (yet – my test is next week but I don’t have a rack and the missus and I share the car) so it’d likely be trains and ferries to get about unless someone had other means.

I have ideas for a singletrack tour of Skye to see the landmarks, ride the trails and camp and LRF fish on the beaches; a Cairngorms loop with some Tenkara and wild camping at Glenfeshie; a bothying trip to the north Highlands; a wilder version of the Great Glen Way… literally anything as long as the riding is fun, the sights are good, there’s adventure involved and the company is great.

I’d be thrilled if any of you were interested. Age, experience, location or background isn’t an issue and I’m open to explore any routes or ideas you might have. To give you a bit of inspiration ‘Huayhuash’ or ‘Road to Kazbegi’ on Youtube both have the vibe I’d like, but in Scotland rather than Georgia or Peru!

Send me a message or reply if you’re in, I’m looking forward to using the forums and getting involved.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hi matey, fellow Ayrshirite here too. Not somethimg I’m into any more, I dabbled a bit before, did a few wee overnighters and slightly longer trips.

A couple of suggestions – local shakedown rides are ace, I did a few locally, up the river ayr way – lots of places to test out kit and carrying options all the way from Ayr to out past Muirkirk in deepest darkest eastern shire….

Also, Spectral mibbe not the best idea (I have one) as it rules out using a frame bag, and frame bags are a great space for carrying food and/or water, keeps the weight low down.

Gimme a shout if ye want to go a run up the river, If you don’t know it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Welcome to the forum…..

You might want to try a few short rides out before you invite banjo playing strangers from the internet to share a tent with you, in the dark wilderness, far from police stations , mobile phone signals and hospitals.

Could maybe get a wee bit murdery? 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is he going with your neighbour? 😈

HansRey

welcome! If i was living in Ayrshire and not London, I’d join you.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is he going with your neighbour?

Dunno…Nobody’s seen my neighbour for a couple of weeks.

In other news, my new patio is looking terrific.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

benp1

Put a posting up on the Bear bones forum mate, there are often local meets and impromptu rides. They are many folks based in Scotlandshire

dreamnought
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciated, I joined the BB forum today!

Nobeerinthefridge, I might take you up on that offer actually, River Ayr isn’t too far from me and it sounds fun.

Yeah I was undecided between the Spectral and a Salsa Timberjack GX1 – completely different bikes I know but both great in their own respects and the latter may be more practical – if not as comfy – on longer rides. UK stores are getting them in around November which is how long I’d need to save for a Spectral anyway so they’re 50/50 in that respect, it’s just down to what is the better bike. The Spectral’s rear shock isn’t too obtrusive on the triangle so I was hoping to get away with a half frame bag but you’re right that I might struggle on longer trips.

Decisions decisions…

scotroutes

For shorter trips you’ll not “need” a frame bag so that will open up your options. However also bear in mind that the clearance you have between your saddle and the top of your tyre will reduce under suspension movement, possibly limiting storage space there too.

I’m up in Aviemore and trying to get out at least once a month. Likely a bit far for a short trip but I’ve been known to travel south (maybe as far as Perth 😯 ). Happy to meet up somewhere if it works out.

You can read about some of my bikepacking (occasionally featuring Metalheart and Piemonster off here) on my blog (just click on my name). It might give you ideas for trips too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking buddies wanted!’ is closed to new replies.