Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bikepacking: Bar mounted lights/GPS when mounting a bag on the front
  • hairylegs
    Free Member

Really enjoying this bikepacking malarkey but have a slight problem when it comes to using a front mounted bag with an Alpkit Kanga in that it takes out the ability to use a bar mounted light and I have to take the out front mount off for my Garmin.

What are other folks doing to overcome this problem?

nedrapier

helmet light, garmin on the bars, pointed more back than up. Or stem/top camp mount?

MadBillMcMad

as Ned

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whitestone
    Free Member

I made a bar extender out of two reflector mounts joined back to back and a bit of old tubing about 100mm long (it was a bit of old seat tube blagged from the LBS) smoothed down with emery paper. Mount it on the bar next to the stem.

There is some vibration but on the one bit of night riding I’ve done so far with it it hasn’t been a problem except for the Garmin Oregon mount swivelling around the new bit of bar for which I’ll probably add some 3M tape on the tube.

benp1

Just get a bar extender. I mount my light and GPS to that and it’s raised up higher than the bars so I can see my gps more easily and light can shine without the bar bag getting in the way

theflatboy
    Free Member

One of these on my Pomp
    – it does the job nicely.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I have one of these it’s solid when its fitted http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=369

STATO
    Free Member

I used a tortec rack strut to lift my Exposure light above a handlebar bag, bolted one end directly to the light and the other to the normal QR clip. The strut was solid but the Exposure bracket isn’t really designed to support that amount of weight on the end of a long stick, so it vibrated a bit. Need to make something a bit more solid for next time.

From SJS, they also do black like mine in the pic below

[url=https://flic.kr/p/EEyZGx]Waskerly Weekend[/url] by Richard Elsdon, on Flickr

benp1

Overall set up has changed since, but this is how I set things up normally. Will try to find a better pic

benp1

Actually, here you go

STATO
    Free Member

Any idea which one that is?

scotroutes

I’ve used four reflector mounts and a bit of tube. TBH, my Revelate Sweetroll and/or Harness sit pretty low anyway so they don’t affect the beam much, it’s just to remove a bit of reflected glare.

I have a Minoura one like that in the photo above but my own one is more stable

hairylegs
    Free Member

Thanks Guys … some good tips there.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m using a bar extender to elevate light over bag (see pics from benp1 in post above)

benp1

My one is from Minoura, can’t remember which one – there are loads of different types though

Make sure it’s wide enough to fit your light and your GPS, not just the brackets, but the actual units with enough space to reach buttons etc with gloves on

I’ve been able to get my GPS on my stem on another bike but having it higher is easier, plus it’s a good place for the battery pack from my light

trail_rat
    Free Member

My revos mounted on the crown.

Garmins on the outfront bracket turned 180 so its a just behind bracket….

scotroutes

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oJmnoU]DSC_0150[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

The tube I used was in the packing of a set of TT bars

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking: Bar mounted lights/GPS when mounting a bag on the front’ is closed to new replies.