Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bikepacking – Alpkit Kowari or Koala Anyone got one?
  • Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Looking at a new saddlebag mainly for Audax but also long days out on the mtb.

Anyone use a Kowari? do you rate it?

Or what’s the Koala like with minimal kit in it?

Will be taking:

Food
    Jacket
    Spare gloves
    light batteries
    Tool Kit

thekettle
    Free Member

I use the Kowari and really like it for long/cold road rides and off road riding. The best things about it are it cinches small and silent when it’s empty, expands to 3l easily and has enough extra strapping to carry my waterproof on the outside/top. Also lighter, more flexible and less rattly than the smaller Ortlieb and Carradice bags it replaced. Lots of fitting options to get it sitting right. Unlike most bags it easily/securely fits my Brooks saddle, with 10cm of post out (16cm is the recommended minimum). Only downside is once fitted it’s a faff to re-fit, particularly gloved or with cold fingers. So I’d not plan to swap it between bikes. Use a dry bag if you want things in it to stay dry.

whitestone
    Free Member

A slightly different tack – I use an Ortlieb 4 litre saddle bag for commuting. https://www.ortlieb.com/en/produkt-details/?produkt=saddlebag&list=bike-touring&slug=bike-touring&clearname=Bike%20Touring

Fits on and off the bike in seconds. This is for on-road use plus a little canal tow-path, don’t know how it would fare on sustained off-road use.

Edit: I’d quite like a tapered bag about halfway in size between the Kowari and the Koala

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Very happy with my Kowari, as mentioned it compresses down when the full volume isn’t needed, water proof and doesn’t get in the way.
    10/10 from me

johnnystorm

I’ve found the koala to be very wobbly and continually coming loose when I’ve used it filled to capacity. When I’ve used it with just spare clothing/down jacket in its much better.

For similar money I think the bikepacking.eu bag is better, bigger webbing and buckles, better post attachments, light loop on the rear, etc.

If the budget stretches then the Revelate kit is worth the premium imho.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking – Alpkit Kowari or Koala Anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.