Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bikepackers, please help me to choose (low budget) saddle bag!
  • drotos
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve two available low budget options:

Author Sumo saddlebag

KTM Tour XL saddlebag

Help me to spot the differences! Which one should I choose? Why?

Thanks in advance!

BillOddie

Out of interest, where have you seen the Author one for sale?

drotos
    Free Member

billoddie – I’ve only seen on the manufacturer’s site. But I can order. I should decide first.

flatfish
    Free Member

The way these two that you’ve picked fix to the bike will wag whenever you stand up to pedal which I find incredibly annoying.
    Neither are waterproof so you’ll need to shove a dry bag into there to if you don’t want a wet sleeping bag/change of clothes.

keithb

Or a super basic tapered drybag from alpkit?

Airlok Tapered 13l

drotos
    Free Member

flatfish – Which one has good design? Anyway, I’d use a dry bag… or nylon. 😀

drotos
    Free Member

keithb – The Airlok Tapered 13l Dry Bag seems to have way too week fabric to use for long time.

whitestone
    Free Member

The Alpkit Airlok is made of heavier material than dry bags like Exped, it also has attachment points for the webbing loops. It’s certainly tough enough for a few trips. As flatfish says, the way that the bags in your links attach to the bike isn’t the best.

Both bags look very similar, I don’t think one will be much better or worse than the other. Get whichever is in available or in stock.

ciquta
    Free Member

I just made 1400km (2 weeks) on a KTM.

Not bad considering the price, enough steady when clothes are properly stored, good size, and i loved the elastic on top which helped me carrying flip-flops and food.
    It’s not waterproof however.

You may also consider a Bikepack Repack.

flatfish
    Free Member

If I “had” to pick one for YOU, I would probably suggest the Author.
    If it were MY money I’d buy neither, I’d spend some extra on a Wildcat Tiger Wayfarer.

Admittedly over twice the price but worth it to get rid of the wagging dogs tail. It needs a dry bag but so does every other saddle pack really.
    I couldn’t willingly go back to big bag like the two you mention.
    Another tip is don’t get the biggest as you will fill it with the “what if’s”, keep it small and your kit list won’t balloon and get too heavy.

drotos
    Free Member

flatfish

If I “had” to pick one for YOU, I would probably suggest the Author.

Why the Author? Where is the difference? In size?

flatfish

If it were MY money I’d buy neither, I’d spend some extra on a Wildcat Tiger Wayfarer.

That cost three times of the Author! I’m on a tight budget. Maybe I’d buy Apidura, Wildcat or even Revelate Design, but… 😀

ciquta

You may also consider a Bikepack Repack.

That costs more than twice of theese.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bikepackers, please help me to choose (low budget) saddle bag!’ is closed to new replies.