Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bikemags- come on lets see alternative bikewear reviewed
  • hora
    Free Member

Putting aside the argument on advertising (this thread is NOT about that)

Why not? Why can’t we have reviews of army kit or even other outdoor sport kit that can easily and cost effectively be cross-used for mountain biking

(Plus any suggestions? Always interested to hear!).

Yes DPM Army jackets can be warm on rides- thats why you wear LESS under them. In sub-zero temps last winter I wore one or two thin merino tops under and was fine/no sweat.

Why can’t all the mags run an alternative alongside the £200 bike jacket tests? OR even have an alternative suggestion test?

STW cough cough- a suggestion? 😉

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Yeah, good call.

While you’re at it can you review what shopper bikes for DH?

gothandy

Good idea … my best shorts were a few quid from tkmax and still use my dads RAF head over which must 40+ years old

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/clothing/gloves-scarves/army-headover-neckwarmer-219550.html

woffle
    Free Member

I don’t think you can separate this argument from the whole advertising issue.

The companies that pay for advertising have a vested interest in keeping reviews ‘on topic’ – it’s not going to do their kit any favours if STW start highlighting the fact that an Aldi special perhaps isn’t soooo different from a far more expensive offering from Gore / Endura / a.n.other cycling co. Hence STW towers would be committing some sort of commercial hari-kari by pissing off these manufacturers surely?

Oh – and as for suggestions – last year Uniqlo did decent, half-zip or straight round necked 100% merino tops for (I think) £14.99. Mine are still going strong. Likewise M&S do packs of merino socks for less than a tenner…

Hairychested
    Free Member

Aldi merino jersey looks, feels and performs really well too.

hora
    Free Member

I’d love a non-biking glove solution for winter riding?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

What other sports are you planning on doing while wearing these gloves?

I’ve got to say, if you’re after technical clothing for mtbing that isn’t mtbing specific, then it’s going to come from another outdoorsport…

The only reason I can see for this is if you do 2 different sports and want your kit to cross over, if not, why not buy mtb specific kit? It’s designed for that application.

hora
    Free Member

The gloves tend to disintegrate quite quickly though and thats NOT with falling off.

hora
    Free Member

Hang on….thats just given me a leftfield reminder/thought..

Outdoor mechanics gloves: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Mechanics_Wear/Mechanics_Gloves/1456

tree-magnet
    Free Member

hora – Member
    The gloves tend to disintegrate quite quickly though and thats NOT with falling off.

Then that’s the brand of glove you’re buying, not the mtb glove market in general. I’ve had gloves last for years and years. A set of 661 full finger for the summer and a set of Gill neoprene ones for when it’s cold. Both over 3 years old as it stands.

DezB
    Free Member

Which gloves? I bought some Cannondale winter gloves in a sale so long ago I can’t remember when it was. They still look new after mtb and commuting use.

That’s the problem I see with mag reviews, they don’t (can’t) take into account the longevity of products.

hora
    Free Member

True. Thats something that annoys me about Autoexpress (Etc’s) ‘Longterm car tests (circa 10k/1yr).

Pook

Hora wearing his alternative bikewear, yesterday…

scaredypants

OK here’s one

cut-off waterproof vinyl trousers (from scats, the poo fetish emporium) make ded cheap and “quite good” waterproof shorts. They’re a bit sweaty, rustle a lot, and eventually perish & crack into a zillion pieces without any warning from the previous ride, leaving you to ride in sodden gritty lycra for a couple of hours. Oh, and they occasionally catch on the bike because they’re really baggy. (no pockets)

**/5

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bikemags- come on lets see alternative bikewear reviewed’ is closed to new replies.