Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Bikemagic, is it dead?
  • ChrisL

I’ve found old emails which suggest I signed up to the BikeMagic forum in September 2002. However I can’t work out if there’s a way on the forum to get my password reset or even work out what my username is/was from my email address, so I can’t go and look at what my last posts where and when I made them.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

PMJ travelled up to my place and I drove up there, PMJ – Is that the one where we stayed in harrogate the night before with pat mustard?

I imagine it was. We went out for curry at one of the best curry houses in the country and admired Grahame’s extensive collection of quality (mountain bike) magazines.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

NBT – yes. that’s it!

I vaguely remember the peaks ride as well. and some chilterns rides.

nbt

Funny how small the world is. It was many years between meeting Grahame for the first time (the infamous Covent Garden Massacre which saw the untimely demise of Pat Mustard) and finally meeting Rich Girlfriend (aka Josie), and then only because it transpired that Josie was actually the school pal of one of our local riding buddies, they’d known each other since the age of about 7. Had a lovely ride from Longnor with Grahame and our local pals and finally met not just Josie but her (equally lovely) parents when we got back for a pub meal

njee20
    Free Member

Never knew you were on here Pete! *waves*

Also intrigued by Sadbloke being on here!

There’s a few I know have moved across, it was a great place in its hey day. I still see a number of people I met through there.

Richie McCoy was all a bit weird. I think most people meant well (I know I did), but it descended into farce quite quickly! Actually just went looking for it, but it’s all been “cleared up”, the thread on BM and the one on here talking about it. Probably for the best.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

t was many years between meeting Grahame for the first time (the infamous Covent Garden Massacre which saw the untimely demise of Pat Mustard)…

😆

I vaguely remember the peaks ride as well. and some chilterns rides.

I think the Chilterns was with Al, Mike Beckley, Toni Ertl (Ancient Mariner), Pat/Grahame and a few others, including a very fast and talented young whippersnapper who’s name escapes me. Was Tim B there too?

Richie McCoy was all a bit weird. I think most people meant well (I know I did), but it descended into farce quite quickly! Actually just went looking for it, but it’s all been “cleared up”, the thread on BM and the one on here talking about it. Probably for the best.

Yes, to all of that. Although I always felt there was a very genuine community there, both under Cullen and Mike.

Anyone know what happened to Gary Ewing?

nbt

Moved to NZ for a few years I think, now back in the UK and living in the north east? Jon Doran (also here on this forum) is still in touch with him

I recall a weekend in the Chilterns camping in a field that Mike Beckley’s then-missus used to keep her horses in. I recall getting leathered and driving a very old car very quickly around a field with grass so high it was more or less eye-level for the driver

Kryton57

This is all very far from the argumentative bike magic I know, I must have been a latecomer. My login still works though.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’ve found old emails which suggest I signed up to the BikeMagic forum in September 2002. However I can’t work out if there’s a way on the forum to get my password reset or even work out what my username is/was from my email address, so I can’t go and look at what my last posts where and when I made them.

I think it was about 2010 that BM’s forums all updated and all the dates got messed up. I recall Mustrum being most upset that her Extremely longrunning thread was being attributed to someone else. All the dates seem to suggest everyone signed up in 2004, but I think I was circa 2006 and Stan possibly 07/08, when things started going downhill. Coincidence perhaps?? 😉

You’d think he’d be easy to spot with his interesting spelling!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

By 2005/6 it was proper mental.

slackalice
    Free Member

Hey PMJ! *waves*

TimB was indeed on one of the Chilterns rides 😀

Good day it was too, I do remember one young lad who didn’t seem to put a foot down all day, including when we stopped.

Not me, clearly 😀

BadlyWiredDog

Anyone know what happened to Gary Ewing?

Gary runs a cracking little bike shop in Bishop Auckland called Inspiral Cycles. He came back from NZ transformed from a fast but random rider into a horribly fast and significantly less random one. Saw him in the Peak a few weeks back for a nostalgic hammer around the local trails.

My favourite BM memory was, what I think was maybe the first ever BM ride out in the Peak District when Robin Tapp, who was the guy who coded the site in the beginning – it was his uni project – bonked horribly as we got back to Ladybower.

We found him stood swaying gently in the breeze next to his bike which he’d simply dropped on the ground blocking the exit to the car park to the consternation of several motorists who were transfixed by his glassy-eyed gormlessness. We picked the bike up and walked him like an oversized toddler to the tea shack, where we force fed him Mars Bars. The car driver thought he’d crashed which was half right.

It was all slightly surreal in a very BM sort of way.

Our local ride group in the Peak was born out of the BM forum and was active for years. We went on holiday to Spain together several times and also crossed over with the infamous Team Sperm. Still in touch with many of them, though there were classic ride groups squabbles and splintering. Sigh…

Alex

Alex Leigh was there I think on a superlight

that might have been the night after now deeply missed Chris M made white russian in a bucket. And I think Jenn leant me the test Turner Flux I was lusting after which i then broke 😉 Might be getting a couple of rides mixed up but a) it was a long time ago b) it ALWAYS rains when I ride up there and c) I am now very old and can barely remember what I had for breakfast

The Chiltern 1st XV came out of BM and became a proper thing. NickC, me, Toni, Watty, Mike, DavidB for a bit and a few others. Tim B was very fast, he’s still very fast although slowed down a bit due to marriage and fatherhood.

Convent Garden Massacre. That was free form carnage from the first minute. I have absolutely no idea how that ended. Somehow I woke up partially blind from the most crippling hangover ever in my hotel bed.

Ive ridden with BWD a few times as well under the BM Brand. Once in the peaks when he was convinced he had potassium poisoning from too many bananas. I suspect he might have been winding me up 😉 Hang on that was the same ride Jon brought TWO stems with him and changed between them on the ride!

Alex

And in a six degrees of separation kind of way, SlackAlice and I have had numerous email exchanges as we were the first two Pyga owners in the UK I think. Don’t remember you from the Chilterns ride- help me out here? And Supersessions… nope doesn’t ring a bell.

Still we did organise a massive BM ride where 25 people assembled in the pub near Great Hampton. By the time we’d finished the descent into Cadsten some 3km later, we’d already lost a 1/3rd of the complement.

Great times 😉

Alex

I recall a weekend in the Chilterns camping in a field that Mike Beckley’s then-missus used to keep her horses in.

Meet the 1st XV! I’d totally forgotten about that. Must have been 2002 as Mike and I had done the Ecuador thing and a few friends from there turned up. I *might* even have some photos of that somewhere. Which for real money I WON’T post up 🙂

Alex

Okay final thing. Mike Davis and I used to ride a bit together when he was editor. He told me that when they ‘banned’ someone it didn’t stop them posting but no one other than associated miscreants who’d also been banned could see their posts. So it was a bubble of what might now be called big hitters.

Mike couldn’t decide what amused him more, the fact they didn’t realise they were talking to almost nobody or the fact that most of them didn’t notice!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

And Supersessions… nope doesn’t ring a bell.

Reddy-orangey Klein. He probably had the Grey Stormcloud of the North (TM) tailing him.

I have photos of that Great Hampton ride somewhere. I may have to dig into the archive tonight.

nickc

Meet the C1XV…. Carnage in a field.

Happy carefree days

shifter
    Free Member

I remember Dylan turning a normally 3-hour Jacob’s ride into a five hour slog. Saints alive that boy could ride slow.
    Learnt a lot of Peak routes from various BM rides. Plus there were a couple of fun Wales and Staines weekends.

Kryton57

I remember Dylan turning a normally 3-hour Jacob’s ride into a five hour slog. Saints alive that boy could ride slow.

“…its not about speed, its about torque…”

slackalice
    Free Member

Hey Alex, slackalice/TimB, one of the same! Not sure I was or am particularly fast, so mebbe you’ve confused me with someone else! 😉

At the time, I too was riding my blue and Superlight.

Am still up for a Pyga ride later this year, although I have a feeling you may have moved on? 😀

project
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

There’s a few I know have moved across, it was a great place in its hey day. I still see a number of people I met through there.

After Jen moved to Blackpool, oop north running water twice daily dependant on tide times, sadbloke took a spell of abstinence from bike forums, to improve his spelin abilities,some say he improved,some say he discovered spel checkar,last thing heard from him was that he was studying applied nuclear engineering, and still walking up hills in the countryside, due to ongoing health problems.

Kryton57

spelin

All is revealed… 8)

project
    Free Member

“g”

CaptainSlow

Dylan rode slowly because he didn’t want the air induced friction to melt his ice bullets 😉

teasel
    Free Member

Interesting. I had no idea so many of the names on this thread were old hands from that forum.

RIP, BM

JoeBones
    Free Member

Some craic

mightymule
    Free Member

Wow – nostalgia central!

PS

I recall Mustrum being most upset that her Extremely longrunning thread was being attributed to someone else.

Upset? I was furious…. 😆

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Bikemagic? never heard of it

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

You bellowed m’ lord?

nemesis
    Free Member

Another soon to be no more refuge for exBMers

http://www.revo-design.com/business/viewforum.php?f=3

I went on a great ride with Milo many years back. One of the few BMers I actually met. Top bloke.

Oh and Marco Framboli I just remembered. Another one 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

RIP, BM

It’s not gone yet! But I know what you mean.

ChrisL

I remember that when one of the BM staff was on his last day he started a thread along the lines of “you wouldn’t believe the sh*t some of the forum members get up to”, which included the fact that two well known big hitters were actually the same person and they’d create huge threads that were just their two identities arguing with each other.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I remember that when one of the BM staff was on his last day he started a thread along the lines of “you wouldn’t believe the sh*t some of the forum members get up to”, which included the fact that two well known big hitters were actually the same person and they’d create huge threads that were just their two identities arguing with each other.

😆

A few of my trolls argued with each other.

I’m wondering now how on earth I got any work done. Or kept my job.

I’d forgotten about this one too.

peeshooter
    Free Member

Trailscotland has actually been resurrected and looks like it’s got some serious potential. I like how they’ve added the new trail map feature, hopefully a good way of finding some new trails.

It’s a shame about bikemagic but there just appears to be too much competition these days and Facebook has kinda killed off most forums. Moredirt.co.uk has died as well.

Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Bikemagic, is it dead?’ is closed to new replies.