Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bikejor – a new role for your trail hound?
  • PJay
    Free Member

I stumbled across this on the BBC news website – bikejor-the-people-who-race-their-bikes-with-dogs.

I know that there are plenty of folk who ride with their dogs but in Bikejor it appears that you attach your dog to the bike itself for added momentum (I’ve come across something similar with cross country running where dogs are use to add momentum and assistance, but never with bikes).

Quite what happens when you hit the brakes I don’t know!

thepurist

A couple of folks at work do this with alaskan malamutes – one also has a chariot style wheeled sled that she takes round swinley (fire roads) sometimes

dabaldie
    Free Member

Maddie and Jay of Fully Sussed are currently running a series on exactly this at Newnham.. Must be the new big thing.

http://www.fullysussed.co.uk/south-west-cani-cross-series.html

scotroutes

I know some folk have done an off-road coast-to-coast across Scotland. A few using the forests round Aviemore too.

JAG

A colleague does cani-cross which sounds like the same thing.

He has 11 dogs and spends most weekends racing

CraigW
    Free Member

It would be more fun on a kickbike / scooter.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Friends living in Aviemore used to do this 25 years ago with their husky, they also had a small dog sled for the snow

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve done this with my collie, it’s really more about exercising him when I think a lead is needed, and he’s slowed a bit as he’s matured, but you do get more power than you might think.

It’s good fun and it also keeps you working together as a team so you are more aware of the dog, does he need water, to slow down and that.

You don’t need much special equipment, I use an extending lead clipped into a waistbelt. It takes in slack if the dog slows, most folk use a boom. Get a pulling harness though, they aren’t expensive.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bikejor – a new role for your trail hound?’ is closed to new replies.