Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • bikehike route to etrex 30 what format?
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

what is the best format for following a route? (cycle commute to work route)

gpx route
    gpx track
    gpxx route
    tcx
    txt
    kml???????

johnnystorm

GPX track on a Garmin. Sometimes the routes have too many waypoints and the routes stops being marked out.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

thanks

big_n_daft
    Free Member

where do you save the track? memory card or on the garmin? and if in the garmin what folders?

butcher

GPX track on a Garmin. Sometimes the routes have too many waypoints and the routes stops being marked out.

This. If you save it as a route, bikehike has the option to reduce the track points (in options, if I remember right). I can’t remember how many you’re allowed…if you keep it under 300 you should be OK. My first time using mine, I was 30 miles into my first century ride, in a place I’d never ridden before, when the track just ended! Always check the full route is there before I head out now!

Or save as track and don’t worry about it. (Only difference I’ve noticed, is it doesn’t beep when you;re on course)

Save it into the GPX folder on your Garmin.

timba
    Free Member

I use *.gpx tracks
    I save them to a micro SD card (fits behind the batteries)
    You need the same directory structure as the Etrex30, so you’ll need a GPX folder on the card too

Big advantages for me:
    Faster file transfers if you plug the card direct into your PC
    Copy card content and keep a backup on your PC
    Somewhere to back up your current track data to via BaseCamp (ie Etrex internal memory to PC)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘bikehike route to etrex 30 what format?’ is closed to new replies.